What then?

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

What then?

Post by count »

What do you do if you find the mine? Maybe, just maybe, this is serious question.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Good question... "Earl"...and one I have often pondered. <br> <br>Does one: <br> <br>1)Work it in secret? <br>2)Immediately bring in geologists, archeaologists, and Lord knows what other "ologist" to have a looksy. <br>3)Write a tell all book, showing the world how smart you are. <br>4)Call Newmont Mining or Americk Barrick? <br>5)Go on the Larry King show? <br>6)Catalogue it and walk away. <br> <br>I would think the average Dutch Hunter would attempt #1. #2-5 would be a disaster for the mountains, the physical (and spiritual) environment up there and probably for the individual(s) <br>involved. #6 goes against human nature and while possible, I beleive this is improbable. <br> <br>Given the "new" thinking of modern day Dutch Hunters, I think the chances of the LDM being found in my lifetime are fairly good. I just hope whoever does it doesnt do a Glen Magill and drag every media type in creation up there. <br> <br>That said, finding and working the mine in secret brings its own set of complications. If things were as easy as "ok ..this is the area I think the mine is in, now lets go look", that would be one thing. But the complications surrounding the mine area (IMHO) are almost insurmountable.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I think #1 would be pretty tough too. There are people who know pretty much who comes and goes in the mountains, and when. If you found something and went back in with enough gear to do a little digging, someone would notice. You couldn't do it alone: you would have to have a partner or two, to watch each other's back. And if you've ever seen "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", you know what happens then! <br>Glen Magill didn't plan to make a media circus out of his find (at least according to Gentry's book), and anyway, mining was legal out there when he was there. You could do what Ron has done, but how much would you be able to keep? <br> <br>And another important question: could you ever possibly make enough under any circumstances to make up for the loss of the Lost Dutchman Mine legend? I think not. That's why everyone says the search is more important than the find.