LDM Videos and Television Programs

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

LDM Videos and Television Programs

Post by count »

In the discussion of Bob Ward below it was mentioned he appeared in a program about the LDM on the Discovery Network some time back. This brings up the topic of programs about the LDM in general and what is available and where. I was not aware of the Discovery program in quetsion and would like to know if anyone has any specifics, like what was the title. Discovery, A&E, and TLC are good about keeping programs, specials, etc. available on video for purchase. <br> <br>To my knowledge the list below represents what I know of films and TV programs related to the LDM. Is anyone else able to help flesh out the list and add some things I might be missing? <br> <br>"Lust for Gold" 1948 <br>(A Hollywood fictionalized account of Barry Storm and the LDM. Available via collectors selling their wares on ebay from time to time.) <br> <br>The Robert Lee feature documentary "The Lost Dutchman Mine" circa mid-1970s <br>(This also is available on video off of ebay. It periodically appears there under the "Lost Dutchman" heading.) <br> <br>The Leonard Nimoy/Alan Landsburg "In Search of..." series episode on the LDM - circa mid to late 1970s <br>(This is available from Pyramid Videos via the Internet.) <br> <br>The "Unsolved Mysteries" episode dealing with the LDM and Gassler - circa 1989-1990 <br>(I have not found a place that sells old episodes of "Unsolved Mysteries." The only thing a person can do is watch the program's re-runs on the Lifetime Network and hope they show it again.) <br> <br>The outstanding A&E "Treasure" program's episode on the LDM circa late 1990s <br>(This is available everywhere - the SMHS Museum, from A&E, etc.) <br> <br>The TLC mega-special "Gold!" that had a segment on the LDM circa late 1990s <br>(This is available from TLC, Discovery, A&E, etc. - as they all seem to share the same set of videos to sell.) <br> <br>And finally, Mitch Waite's "Lost Dutchman Expedition Tapes" circa 2001 <br>(This is available from Mitch's web site or from his ebay sales. While not a slick "Hollywood production" it is interesting never the less.) <br> <br>Does anyone know of anything else? Is there anything that can be added? <br> <br>There is obviously the Discovery LDM program mentioned that had Bob Ward. And I have seen that Ron and Tom K. have been on several "Unsolved Mysteries" episodes. Anyone have details on those?
count
Expert

Post by count »

There is this: <br> <br>Copperstate chronicles. Vol. 3 <br>"Thunder god mountains". <br>Publisher [Phoenix, Ariz.?] : Media America Corporation, c1993. <br> <br>I don't know where it can be purchased, but I checked it out from the Phoenix Library and of course I would never DREAM of making a copy, but others might. <br> <br>Just for fun, there is also a Three Stooges episode called "Cactus Makes Perfect" wherein our heroes end up at the Superstition Mountains, find "the lost mine", and are chased by gun-toting prospectors. You'll just have to come across this one.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Oh yeah, there is also an accompanying video to Jay Fraser's book "Lost Dutchman Mine Discoveries". Also available at the library, and I saw it at Wide World of Maps too.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I have two programs that I taped from TV. Neither too good, because I started the tape after I realized what the program was about. So the details in the opening credits are missing. <br> <br>The Discovery Channel program I mentioned has Tom Kollenborn, Bob Corbin, Bob Ward, and Bob Schoose on it. Also, someone from the Apache Tribe talking about their beliefs about the Superstitions, a secret cave, etc. The trailing credits say "Produced by Tandem Film with WDR, for the Discovery Channel" <br> <br>The other one I have is the "In Search Of"
count
Expert

Post by count »

I don't supposed the end credits happened to sneak in the name of the program?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Yes, all the ending credits are there. They list the director, editors, production company, etc. Didn't see a date though. <br> <br>Also, I got one thing wrong. This Discovery Channel episode is not the one with the Apache tribal member explaining their viewpoint on the Superstitions. That was in the "In Search Of" program.