Off Topic: Lost Adams Diggings

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Off Topic: Lost Adams Diggings

Post by count »

Perhaps this is off topic. However, based on the post from Ron below bringing it up and the fact he has a book about the &#8220;Diggings&#8221; perhaps it is not so &#8220;off topic.&#8221; <br> <br>Years ago the Lost Adams Diggings captured my attention. Sad to say, but I have not read Ron&#8217;s book on it yet. I will have to do that soon. It is just that the LDM has really occupied my interest these days. <br> <br>However, I have an &#8220;unorthodox&#8221; view if the Lost Adams Diggings. A lot of people want to place the diggings in NM. I have never really been able to grasp that. Because of some things I saw as a child and things that some family friends found, I believe the Diggings to be close to Mt. Baldy, AZ. Mt. Baldy is west of Alpine, AZ and is sometimes called Baldy Peak. These things happened before any of my family - or our friends - had even heard of the Lost Adams Diggings. <br> <br>One of the better tellings of the tale is found in Dobie&#8217;s &#8220;Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver.&#8221; Dobie tells the &#8220;standard&#8221; Lost Adams Diggings story placing the diggings &#8211; probably - in New Mexico near Ft. Wingate and the &#8220;malapais&#8221; of New Mexico. In the same telling, Dobie also presents a side-story related to the Diggings about a gentleman who was a formerly a scout, I believe. He thought he stumbled upon the Diggings once &#8211; but in Arizona, not New Mexico. His interpretation sort of confirms what I suspected in the back of my mind. He contends that most versions of the Diggings come from Adams told when he was an old man. Some of the details changed as his memory faded. But, supposedly people who heard the story earlier had different details from Adams. For example, he stumbled into Ft. Apache. Not Ft. Wingate. If that is the case, then the Diggings could very well be in Arizona. <br> <br>Anyway, I don&#8217;t want to muck up a forum devoted to the lore of the Superstitions. We don&#8217;t necessarily need to talk this subject into the ground. But, I was wondering more about what others knew of other literature on the Adams topic. Besides Ron&#8217;s book &#8220;Zig-Zag Canyon&#8221; are there any other decent books on the Lost Adams Diggings? I am curious if there are any.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Wow! What happeneded? That post of mine got scrambled. <br> <br>I believe if one takes out the # symbols and numbers you can read it.
count
Expert

Post by count »

John Mitchell's account is excellent.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Thanks, Ron.