Tordia Mountain

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Tordia Mountain

Post by count »

Another interesting web site has complete issues of Huachuca Illustrated, which has historical articles on the Southwest: <br> <br>http://138.27.35.32/history/Html/HIRO.html <br> <br>The "Garrisoning the Southwest" issue is interesting, talks about the army in the Southwest, indian wars, etc. Lots of direct excerpts from military reports in the Apache wars. You can download the entire 256 page issue. <br> <br>Which leads to my question. In one of the military reports from Camp McDowell in October 1965, they mention Tordia Mountain. This reminds me of the text in the Ortiz letter which refers to Tordes Mountain. Anyone know what mountain this is? I assume this name is Spanish, so what does the name mean in English? (my online translator won't cooperate).
count
Expert

Post by count »

Tordia, Tordes, Tordis Mt. all refer to the main mountain know to us as Superstition Mountain, I believe. An old 1869 military map shows a Tordis Peak as one of the high points on that mountain. I do not believe the name has a Spanish/Mexican origin. Most of those early place names were named for the scouts or men who first noticed them. I know there are others out there who have more information than I on this name.
count
Expert

Post by count »

It's possible, too, that this mystery word "Tordia" was one of those English-Spanish bastardized words, since phonetically it sounds like "tortilla." <br>Which could open up a whole can of worms, hehe. <br>Just my two bits. <br>n