J A Stirrat Map

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

J A Stirrat Map

Post by count »

I have a copy of the Stirrat Map sitting here on my lap. Published in Anaheim California, copyright 1948. <br> <br>It does show some items of historical interest, such as Ruths Camp, Camp Caballo, Indian Paint Mine, etc... <br> <br>Not many trails shown, but a couple of them are in interesting locations.
count
Expert

Post by count »

In your opinion is it worth going out of the way to get a hold of one of these? Does it have anything someone halfway familiar with the territory wouldn't already know? The examples you mention above I could already find from numerous hiking resources. <br> <br>Thanks.
count
Expert

Post by count »

There are at least two versions of it. One (the one from the 1940's) has a lot of trails and interesting stuff marked on it. The other, more recent, doesn't have any of that stuff. The older one (at the Phoenix Library) is worth copying off.
count
Expert

Post by count »

PS: The Stirrat maps both say copyright 1948. You can tell them apart, though, by the little blurbs that are printed on them. The newer, worthless one has a couple of paragraphs on "The History". The older one has two written sections, one on "The Peralta Grant" and one on the "Lost Dutchman Mine". This is the one you want. Several trails are marked that are not on any other maps. <br>You can see the newer map, should you want to, at the Arizona State Archives in the capitol building. <br> <br>Another worthwhile map is the one by James Attebery, dated 1954, also at the Phoenix Library. It has a very interesting story about a fight that took place in Charlebois Canyon in 1861.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Thanks Hiker. Sure wish I could find a closer location to Gilbert. I work at the airport, so maybe some day after work I'll go by.