SMHS Museum

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

SMHS Museum

Post by count »

This is really just continuing the thread that Hiker started about the SMHS Museum. <br> <br>I also purchase materials from them whenever I can, rather than other providers. In fact ordered Scotts new book early last week from Shirley and received it in just a couple of days!(took alot longer to get here than to read). <br> <br>So, please support the SMHS Museum. <br> <br>I have a humorous anecdote about the Museum. Some time back I visited and decided to fill in whatever Journals and other materials I hadnt yet acquired. No one was at the front desk when I walked in, so I simply opened the glass case (where the Journals and Manuscripts are kept) and began piling up what I wanted. Didnt ask anybodys leave to do so, just helped myself (I'm from NEW YORK, remember ..lol) <br> <br>By the time some nice older lady got to the front desk, she saw my pile (30-40 <br>Journals/pamphlets etc...) and she said <br>"Young man, you will have to put those all back when your done" (She thought I was just being messy I think). <br> <br>I laughed and said.."but ma'am how can I buy them all if I put them all back?" <br> <br>We had a good laugh over that as she rang up the sale.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Scott's book: $9.00 <br>Glover's book: $19.95 <br> <br>Hmm... there's something here that is eluding me..
count
Expert

Post by count »

Agreed.... <br> <br>But, I believe Scott set the price of his book. Not the Museum. <br> <br>One does get more bang for their buck with Glover's book...
count
Expert

Post by count »

I want to second the sentiments about the Museum. The Museum and the SMHS are excellent bodies and need all the support they can get. If one is not a member of the SMHS, one should be. And if a person is looking for a book - check the Museum Bookstore first. Chances are that if it has anything to do with the LDM or the Superstitons, it is there. Better to channel your purchase through the Museum and support it - rather than something else.
count
Expert

Post by count »

You know I have been thinking this over... <br> <br>Wendell Scott might be a marketing genius. Think about it. How many folks out there will buy ANY new book put out on the LDM? I'd wager more than 2 or 3. <br>So, one tramps into the mountains, takes some pictures, cooks up a theory for a particular clue (whether valid or not) and self-publishes a book. There is a definite market out there for something of this nature. Heck, I plunked down my $9.00 knowing what the contents were before hand. <br> <br>Think I'll get busy this weekend, I'd wager I could put out a "book" a month on my own various interpretations of the clues ! Now where did I put those pictures of the Oxbow....? <br> <br>LOL
count
Expert

Post by count »

Peter, just what I was trying to tell you! And I bet yours would be worth the 10-20 bucks (I felt Glover's first book was worth every penny). I even have a name for your new book: "Some Dutchman Lore Seldom Heard Before". <br> <br>I also support SMHS, am a member, and try to attend as many presentations and functions as possible. <br> <br>Another worthy cause is SALT (Superstition Area Land Trust) which attempts to lobby against development in the Supe area.
count
Expert

Post by count »

LOL <br> <br>Some others might think my book title should be "Shut Up and Go Find the Mine If You're So Smart". :) <br> <br>Actually what you touched on in your title is quite astute. I believe there's a wealth of information that has not been seen by the "public". It's in these odds and ends...manuscripts, letters, reports and journals where the "real" (if I can use this word related to this subject)clues lie.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Sure! Look at Mitch Waite!
count
Expert

Post by count »

A little more support for SMHS Museum. I run the Goldfield Livery next door to the museum , and I sell "Crooked Mountain" out of the Livery, when I'm there . I get 21.00 , because I charge tax. The Museum charges 20.00 , so buy the book from them.( they're a non profit organization, and charge no tax).It really is nice though, being next to them , because I get to converse with alot of people that go to the museum and want to have more information, as they send them to me, because I'm right there. I wonder , have I ever met you , Peter there?
count
Expert

Post by count »

So when is it due out? :)
count
Expert

Post by count »

This brings up a question that I have. For those of us who don't live in Arizona anymore, we have to go through the Museum's web site. But the number of books listed there seems kind of low, especially compared to the number I remember seeing at the Museum bookstore about ten years ago when I was there last. I was assuming that they had just cut back a lot on what they stocked. <br> <br>However, from Peter's first posting above, I gather that they still sell a lot of journals, manuscripts, etc? Why aren't these on the web site? Or do they send out a complete list to SMHS members? <br> <br>I just rejoined SMHS after a long lapse, and I was trying to figure out a way to get back issues of the SMHS Journal. I sent the museum an email, but got no reply. Do they still sell all the back issues?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hi Ron, <br> <br>No, Ron, we have never met. I like to make the rounds when I get out your way, so will be sure to let you know in advance next time I am out there, perhaps we can make some time and say hello. Should be out in the Fall this year definitely, still might surprise some friends this Spring... so we shall see. <br> <br>P
count
Expert

Post by count »

You are correct. The web site does not show all the books the Bookstore has to sell. They do have a list they send to members, so I would say rejoining would be a good idea. <br> <br>The new email for the Museum/Bookstore is: <br> <br>[email protected] <br> <br>If you email them, I am sure they would send you a book list. The list has everything listed except the back issues of the SM Journal. But they have them. You just have to ask.