Yellow Jackets

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Story!!!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Once Coronado progressed north of Culiacan there is little of a precise nature to go on. There was no known contemporaneous recording of the expeditions daily progress. While it's true that there may be better documentation hidden away in the archives of Mexico City and Spain, nothing has been found despite years of serious research. To this day, as far as I know, there is little universal agreement as to Coronado's exact path. The most widely accepted theories are those presented by Bolton and Day.

It would seem that the best chance of finding Coronado's exact path, will lie in the hands of archaeologist's working on the ground as opposed to researchers following his trail from their desks. Even then, the methods used by those who attempt to follow in Coronado's actual footsteps may cause errors. Many of these people have tried to start in the north, and reverse Coronado's trail. That would include Herbert Eugene Bolton, who is highly respected in his field. In this I would have to agree with Father Polzer, that it is the wrong method to use.

Anyone can claim that they have knowledge of maps and other documentation from the Coronado expedition, but until such artifacts are produced for qualified authentication, they will not be taken seriously by any professional. On the other hand, they may find a receptive audience on sites like this, which depend on myth and legend as a mainstay.

A. Grove Day wrote this in 1940:

"It is impossible to locate with precision, four centuries later, the trail of Coronado's
army from the Rio de Cicuye to the province of Quivira. Landmarks on the vast
Staked Plains that they traversed are few; in fact the general was not far wrong
when he wrote to his king afterward that there was “not a stone, not a bit of rising
ground, not a tree, not a shrub, nor anything to go by.” Furthermore, the
reckonings of direction in those days were clumsy. Consequently the wake of the
army in 1541 on the ocean of prairie has forever vanished, even though its point
of departure and ultimate landfall are known with some degree of certainty."

There are known points that Coronado touched on his journey but the Superstition Mountains are not one of them. Those landmarks do help establish the general direction of Coronado's travels, but not how he arrived at them. Having said that, anything is possible.

Ben has made many unsubstantiated claims on this Forum in the years that he has been posting here, but has yet to offer up a single piece of evidence to back up any of his statements. The yellow brick road to Oz is paved with fiction from the fertile imagination of a professor with time on his hands. Like many of Bowman's stories, they do no harm and are fun to read.

It's interesting that this Forum is being, once again, offered information that is hidden from the public view. One wonders what great things we have done to warrant being given access to Vatican secrets.

Joe Ribaudo
klondike
Part Timer

A good story

Post by klondike »

Gentlemen,

Captain Hernando de Alarcon, was head of the naval expedition that was a part of Coronado`s army.

The Captain made his way past today`s Yuma. He failed in his attempt to locate Coronado and returned to Acapulco. Not before a passenger disembarked with instructions for Coronado regarding an area in the Superstition Mountains that was to be searched.

The search failed but the information developed was critical to later Spanish Mining efforts in the Range. Rich Mining operations that would eventually be mistakenly thought by locals to be the LDM.

Just one of many LDM`s all created to serve one purpose.

Klondike
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

you are such a tease klondike.

:)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Story......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

Nice story.

The accounts of Hernando de Alarcon, shows that he returned with every man he started his voyage with. That was an unusual circumstance in itself. The sailors were well treated, and not one deserted.

There is no record, that I know of, which states that Alarcon sent anyone to contact Coronado. It's true that he wanted to, but he could not find a single reliable volunteer to attempt the task. At one point, he had decided to make the trek himself but changed his mind, as the natives would not assist him.

When I wrote "reliable volunteer" do you know who the one "unreliable" volunteer was? It's an interesting part of the history, though a minor detail.

Around the same time, Coronado had dispatched a dozen horsemen under Don Garcia Lopez de Cardenas who rode with his small troop to Tusayan. They considered exploring the area to the west, but were discouraged by the natives in Tusayan. They immediately returned to Coronado.

Neither of these explorations found anything of value, and it would be fifty years before another white man would see the Colorado River. There was, in other words, no great rush to return to the only thing most of the Spaniards were interested in, that being the fabulous wealth you claim they found in the Superstitions.

Do you have one piece of documentation that anyone left Alarcon with "instructions for Coronado regarding an area in the Superstition Mountains that was to be searched."? The entire story is illogical, considering the habits of the Spanish in the New World.

Hopefully you will continue to develop this bit of fiction, as it is really a good story.

Joe Ribaudo
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

http://www.angelfire.com/az2/yumaxing/coronado.html

http://www.nps.gov/archive/coro/history.htm

strange to live in a world that everything you believe is fact, while others with factual information are degraded.

oh, and bolton is considered a quaint and outdated historian at best.
the only thing he did was attempt to create a holistic method to examine history.

thats a fact jack.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Unqualified Opinions......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Pip,

"strange to live in a world that everything you believe is fact, while others with factual information are degraded.

Oh, and bolton is considered a quaint and outdated historian at best.
The only thing he did was attempt to create a holistic method to examine history.

That's a fact jack."

Agreed!.......,somewhat.

Perhaps you should read your own posts. The only people I question are those who come with no verifiable evidence or expertise to back up their non-historical claims.

That seems a prudent approach on a site such as this. Personally, I always try to provide a reliable source for my statements of a historical nature. If there are none, I usually say it's my opinion.

Your denigration of Herbert Eugene Bolton seems ludicrous, considering your own lack of credibility or background. I would say that about anyone, still in school, who believes that gives them some kind of expertise or gravitas.

As soon as you have done as much research as Mr. Bolton, and have presented your work to the public in the kind of volume that he has, I will give your opinions the weight they deserve. I am reminded of your false assertions about Ms. Martin's field experience. Those are the kinds of statements and judgements that give you the reputation that you have.

One of the things I have found in dealing with historians and archaeologist over the years, is that there is considerable back biting and jealousy. From the way you are presenting yourself now, it would seem that you will fit right into that mold........as soon as you become a professional.

Thanks for your opinions.

Joe Ribaudo
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

lol
again all you have are insults.
insult the educated, since you are the sole source of human knowledge.
bolton falls into the role of old dead white guy in ALL history class.
do pay attention to your surroundings.
wonderful article today on NPR, how human knowledge doubles at a rate you are unable to comprehend.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

oh, that is the difference between a historian and yourself joey. a historian is open to new facts, new methods of examining historical events.
you fixate on the trivial.

and just because you say i have no creditabilty, does not make it so...ask susan...lol@u

how sad.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

More Light Banter......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

pip,

There are a number of differences between myself and a "historian". I never claimed to be an historian. What I have said, is that I am a fan of history and I have said it many times. You can twist that any way you like, but it won't change the facts.

Well.....If "susan" thinks you're a better source than Bolton, who am I to argue with someone as qualified as......"susan".

It's true that just because I say you have no creditability, does not make it so. Since few people here seem to want to exchange ideas with you, I am just trying to give you someone to talk to. By the same token, your tooting your own horn all the time, does not establish much credibility either.

So far, all of the professors who think you're a "genius" have failed to back up your one claim to intelligence. Perhaps you can prevail on "susan" to write a few kind words. As your professors at NAU seem to enjoy my posts, feel free to show "susan" this one.

I have no need to ask "susan" anything, as there is more than enough evidence on this Forum, and Peter's, to establish the progress of your education and the level of your intelligence. The two Internet sites you posted were as good as it gets for you. It proved that you could copy and paste a name into Google, and post the results here.

I admit to only skimming through both pages, as I have read enough books on the subject to know what was being written. I admit to missing the part where "Alarcon sent anyone to contact Coronado." I suppose I could go back and reread your "research", but I am pretty sure of my facts.

As always, I could be wrong. Smart file clerk like you, should be able to find the evidence that would prove it.

I suppose I could email "susan", or her husband, to get their actual opinion of you but it would be better if I just copied some of your more intelligent posts here and give them another view. After all, we know the real pip.

Joe Ribaudo
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

poor thing.
you make grandiose claims with no evidence, sit on an imagined high horse...insult, and then whine like a three year old who met a cookie thief.

a husband?..shows how much you know.

too sad...a mind only works when it is open.
you deserve every word i ever posted...and then some...
the list of intelligent, informed people you have insulted grows daily...while the racist, self righteous, fixated crowd stays the same.

ethnocentric....look it up.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

SUSAN.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Does this mean you don't really want me to ask "susan" how credible you are?

Joe Ribaudo
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

you have mistaken me for someone who gives a (expletive deleted) what you do.

any calls to susan will leave you with a short report.
the most respected historian in arizona will ask you" you don't believe in that ridiculous story about Jesuits and gold."

and only someone deep into psychosis would even harbor the idea to pester a historian of her caliber.

go run along and tell everyone how much more you know about Atlantis then they do.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Guys, come on. Are you serious with all this petty bickering? It's the holiday season for God sakes, chill out for a month at least, k? After new years you can go back to this senseless squabbling :lol: :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

More Susan.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

pip,

No need to worry, as I would never send a lady your finer posts. :lol:

"the most respected historian in arizona will ask you" you don't believe in that ridiculous story about Jesuits and gold."

Should that ever happen, I would be able to give her an honest answer. That would be NO. When I was much younger, I did believe in those Jesuit treasure stories. Because I like to know both sides of any subject, I spent a number of years researching that topic.I would explain how I came to the conclusion that the stories were false. She, being a woman who knows the history better than I do, would respect the efforts I have made in finding that truth.

I hope to meet her some day, but you would never be part of any conversation. You only exist here, not in the real world. I would have her sign my copy of her book and give her the respect she is due. I might ask her what her opinion of Herbert Bolton is. :)

It's true I could call her or send her an email, but your foolishness would not be involved. I doubt she knows your name. You have a habit of building your self esteem on fantasies. My guess would be that Susan is just another such case.......Much like John McCain at Sky Harbor Airport.

Next time you visit your dad in Lake Havasu City, try to work up the nerve to talk to me face to face. No need to just sneak up close, like a terrified little boy. I am not hard to find and I am an easy man to talk to. I don't hold grudges, and you would be perfectly safe.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Peace At Any Cost!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

Thanks for your peace making efforts. I am not angry at pip, as he calls me "joey". All of my favorite girls call me by that name, so I can't be mad at him. :)

You and the family have a Merry Christmas!

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Alarcon....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

According to the "NARRATIVE OF THE CORONADO EXPEDITION" by Pedro de Castaneda of Najera:

"Alarcon's fleet reached the delta of the Colorado River, Then boldly sailed up the river in search of Coronado's men. In mid-October of 1540, about halfway or even closer to the present-day Yuma junction with the Gila River, his ships paused, buried letters of inquiry nearby, and then set out on the long return voyage. Melchior Diaz arrived days later, but it was too late to effect a rendezvous. He found instead a Spanish message blazed on a tree that letters were buried beneath." (Note #6, page 103 of the Narrative.)

The message written on the tree said: " Alarcon came this far; there are letters at the foot of this tree."
(p. 95)

There is no record that anyone left the ship, in the manner you describe, but it is written that all who started the journey with Alarcon returned safely with the ship.

That's the historical record. It's possible that something was done in secret, but in this case it seems unlikely due to the nature of the land and the hostility of many of the natives.

If there is some documentation to the contrary, I would love to see it.

Joe Ribaudo
klondike
Part Timer

Coronado Mesa

Post by klondike »

Mr. Ribaudo,

The individual who jumped ship sorta speak was from Rome.

The person`s name is in the public domain but you will need to work through the details to figure out who he/she was.

Considering the magnitude of the search I would expect to find little or nothing that would point to it ever having existed.

Create`s far too many problems for folks who were not supposed to be interested in treasure to begin with, Much less pagan treasure. Suspect the pagans were far more ethical than the good well you know.

A person of the same order was chiefly responsible for creating the trail maps that were copied from the main chamber in Oz.

Interesting where our Captain was heading. Let`s see the Gila River then a ancient port on the Salt River close to Coronado Mesa in the NW portion of the range.

Hello Mr. Paws,

Hope things are well with you and yours this holiday season.

Actually Christmas Day on Coronado Mesa near the cross reveals more than a hundred books.

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

No Name......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

It seems obvious that you have no respect for this " individual" you allude to. That being the case, one wonders why you don't name him.

The fact is, that no one deserted from Alarcon's fleet. It is also a fact that no one died or was killed. Everyone returned, which was very unusual for the times. So unusual, that it was documented.

The reason you can't name your "individual", is because that would provide something that could be researched. With the name, comes a history and with that history......comes the truth. On the other hand, you have provided an entertaining story. It's a little thin, but entertaining.

Joe Ribaudo
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Re: Coronado Mesa

klondike wrote:
Hello Mr. Paws,

Hope things are well with you and yours this holiday season.

Actually Christmas Day on Coronado Mesa near the cross reveals more than a hundred books.

Klondike
thank you sir.
it is just me for the holidays...seems like i might wish to go camping in old stomping grounds.

take care, happy holidays to you and yours.
donald
klondike
Part Timer

Christmas

Post by klondike »

Hello Donald,

Merry Christmas to you also.

Hopefully this year will be a special Christmas.

I know it will be for us.

Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

Merry Christmas and may your holidays be a joyous time of celebration.

By the way the person who jumped ship was a lady. A child of hers would play an importent role in all of this.

Tough being in an order that was supposedly just for men. But then again the Pope was a man of humour.

She returned to Rome with many gifts. The most importent being the gift of time.

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

No Name......No Game......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

Not all religious Orders were "just for men" in that era. As far as I know,
only Franciscans were taken on the expedition. That does open the door for a woman, of the Order, but there is no evidence of it happening.

Not only is there no evidence that Alarcon ever reached the Salt River, he fails to even mention seeing such a river. He also fails to mention the Gila.

What's the point in telling this story? In fact, what has been the point in any of the fantasies you have posted here? Without your divulging the ladie's name it's just another, long winded, work of fiction. Is there another Calalus style book in the works???

Wishing you and your family a Very Merry Christmas! :)

Joe Ribaudo
klondike
Part Timer

Oz

Post by klondike »

Mr. Ribaudo,

Oz is there right where we have said it always has been.

Finding it is as simple as seeing what has been placed in front of you, and listening for the calling that has echoed through the Superstitions for over a thousand years.

All one has to do is understand the ancient name for Pistol Canyon and look at the gifts left on the North end of Peters Mesa to be lead to an isolated ravine high up where lives the wind.

What the locals never understood is their holy place was not the end to the mystery only the beginning. In the canyon wall across from their sacred place is the way that takes them to the heart of the holy.

The holy that has brought visitors from many places and in many times.

But then again if it is not on CNN it obviously cannot be real.

Klondike
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Wait, Pistol Canyon is the "Canyon of the souls"? 8O
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
klondike
Part Timer

Oz

Post by klondike »

Hello Randy,

Good, Very Good.

Happy Holidays,

Klondike
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I'll be dammed.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari