Mogollon Rim story

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
zentull
Expert

Mogollon Rim story

Post by zentull »

Sometime around 1986-7 me and a buddy got a couple of girls to go on a trip up to the rim to drink,have fun and whatever else. As we were driving in on this dirt road there were a bunch of cows and my buddy asked me to pull over so he could check them out. When he got back to the truck he mentioned that they had a sort of peace symbol as a brand and I should check it out. Couldn't tell you what the symbol was, but I do remember it was similar to a peace sign in a way. We continued on and came up on this little area where there were several buildings and a few people just strolling around. When I asked for directions for a good campsite they just stared at me all pissed off looking and wouldn't say a word. Kind of creepy and all but I gave them the finger for their hospitality and went back the way we came figuring I would find a good side road and a nice place to make camp.

We got a fire going and got into some drinking and enjoying ourselves, when we could hear voices just faintly probably about 50 yards or so back in the trees. After a while it was a bit spooky since we could hear the voices but not understand the words. Never saw any flashlights or even a shadow. Kind of a bit like the Blair Witch movie. I crept out in the dark, but never could get close to the voices. They probably heard me moving around and just stayed quiet. Of course this pretty much spoiled things with the girls and so we packed up and decided to head home rather put up with the jerks in the woods. I thought I saw some shadow movement when we pulled out, but no one wanted me to pull over and check. To say the least I was ticked off knowing everyone would sleep on the way home while I had to drive.

We were about half way to the forest service road we came in on, when the girl up front started yelling and pointing at the side of the road about some head that was sticking out from the bushes. I got just a few seconds glance of whatever it was. Everyone really got into a panic and I hit the brakes trying to look back and get a second look at whatever it was. Of course the whole group were primed from earlier in the evening and started yelling and grabbing at me telling me to keep going. I couldn't get out of the car because the road was so narrow there and the foliage was within a foot or so of the truck on both sides. So I managed to get the truck in reverse and pulled back to the spot we had seen whatever it was. I could see the break in the bushes where we had glimpsed it before but now there was just an empty hole. I pulled back and tried to see if it was something to do with the shadows, but I could just see an empty hole where there had been something before. Finally frustrated I pulled forward about 25 yards and was able to get out and go back to look. The brush had been separated by something, but was too dense to get through at that point of entry. I went back down the road a ways and found a spot to cut through and work my way back up to the spot. I could see there had been something there by the impressions in the grass and brush, but there were no tracks or tell tale signs of what it could have been. Smaller than a cow but larger than a coyote in my opinion. By the time I got back up with everyone they were in an all out panic and just wanted to leave. On the way home no one really discussed what they saw in detail much, but I asked the girl up front with me after everyone fell asleep and my buddy the next day and our 3 stories match up with what we saw.

What did I see? I saw a head that I would judge was similar in size to a horses or cows. I would not say it was really like either of those in likeness otherwise. It had no hair or fur, but rather seemed like it was fleshy and was melted or distorted in a way. I would say it appeared ghoulish with a mixture of pale coloring. I really wanted to believe it was a cow, but the area behind was open and clear and I heard no movement after we stopped of anything back in there. The only thing I could come up with over the years is that it could be a bear that had got itself disfigured in a fire up on the rim. Of course I remembered all the mogollon monster tales I heard and while I am very sceptical of such things it wasn't until years later I heard the Native American version concerning a man who was burnt up wandering the mountains like some ghoul from the Sci Fi channel.

I would say it was our imagination except the stories were too damn similar in detail. I still can see that thing if I close my eyes.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"