Travel Channel Show on Superstition Mountain area

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
Ozarker
Part Timer

Travel Channel Show on Superstition Mountain area

Post by Ozarker »

Hello All:

I caught a promo last night on the Travel Channel for a one-hour show called "Off Limits" scheduled to air this coming Monday (13 June 2011) at 9 pm Eastern/8 pm Central. The show is relatively new and I haven't seen it before, but it's described as a reality series where the host travels to places that "not many have dared to go".

Monday night's episode apparently has a segment on the Superstition Mountains and I'm certain I saw Clay Worst being interviewed about the Lost Dutchman. Another of the segments describes how pioneers created cities (presumably Phoenix?) in the desert.

The Travel Channel web site has a page dedicated to the show but it's pretty sparse:

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Off_Limits

Wikipedia also has a stub for the show that gives a little more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_Limits ... TV_series)

There are also some short clips on YouTube that give a feel for the style of the show.

I can't imagine the segments are long enough to do the subject justice, but seeing Clay will be worth it and there might be some great views of the mountains.

Enjoy!

Larry
Ozarker
Part Timer

Re: Travel Channel Show on Superstition Mountain area

Post by Ozarker »

Hello All:

I caught the show last night and was somewhat disappointed that the segment on the Lost Dutchman and Clay Worst was so short (it only lasted about 6 minutes).

But it was a great six minutes! Most of it dealt with Clay's operation at the Old Wasp mine and it was really impressive, even though I'm sure they only touched the tip of the iceberg of what all is involved there.

The numbers were impressive, with Clay processing 6+ tons of rock per day in order to keep the operation going, and it can be no small task to keep all of that machinery operational and maintained. They also showed Clay in his metallurgical lab and the work he puts in there. And it was typical Clay, with his wit and humor shining through.

I looked for clips of that segment on Hulu and the Travel Channel page, but it does not appear to be posted yet. However, the Travel Channel page does have a short clip of the show's host and Jack San Felice out at the Silver King Mine, which wasn't shown on last night's show:

http://www.travelchannel.com/Video/dang ... lver-15274

Hopefully they'll get around to posting the Clay Worst segment sometime soon.

Larry
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

I missed it Larry, and it sounds like it would have been worth seeing. I was hoping to see if I could ever get a chance for a short "tour" of the Wasp from Clay and/or the Silver King from Jack one of these days.

I wonder if the Travel Channel will replay the episode at all soon? I'll have to check their schedule and record it if they do.
Ozarker
Part Timer

Post by Ozarker »

Paul:

Last night, they ran the show with Clay twice (8 pm and 11 pm my time) and then at 2 am they ran the previous week's show. So perhaps they'll run a similar schedule next Monday, and Clay will be on very late that night (actually very early the following morning).

I wish I had recorded it too - it really is worth seeing again.

Larry
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

If I get it recorded, I'll send you a copy
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Larry - my wife just checked and it will be re-airing next Monday (June 20) at 8pm est. She has it set to record!
Ozarker
Part Timer

Post by Ozarker »

Good deal, Paul. I'll copy it too and add it to my collection. Clay's segment started about halfway through the one-hour show, but the rest of the show was about different places and things in southern Arizona and was interesting enough. Glad you folks found the listing.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Larry - got to watch and record the episode tonight. It was good to see Clay again and get a glance at his mine - I honestly didn't know it was an open pit mine!

The sections about the Roosevelt Dam and the missile silo was pretty cool too - I kept telling my wife that a missile silo basement would make for the ultimate "man cave!!"

If you didn't get to see it or if anyone else wants a copy, let me know. Clay's segment and the short bit about the LDM was only 10-15 minutes long as Larry said.