Rattlesnakes

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
zentull
Expert

Rattlesnakes

Post by zentull »

The time of the year has gone by and still approaches again this fall, but I thought maybe a bit on Rattlesnakes would be fitting in creating not only awareness, but helping those with their phobias in the wilderness concerning them.

Rattlesnakes are as a rule loners. They will den up during winter and pair up during spring and fall when mating.

Unless cornered, a snake will vacate more often than not. They lose their fangs several times during the year and grow them back. Not sure if Rattlesnakes give live birth or lay eggs. Think they lay eggs, but I never got that close to check it out.

They don't always rattle either. Yearlings usually only have one segment and it takes 2 to rattle. The segments break off frequently and so the number of segments doesn't accurately tell you the age of the snake.

During the heat of summer they will hunt and feed and rest for several days at a time. A well fed Rattler may hold up for a week after feeding during the peak of summer.

They do not need to be coiled when they strike, but usually only can strike at 1/2 their body length. The average snake is 4'-5' long.

The venom can be life threatening, but when bitten you can tell by the bruising and discoloration of how much venom was injected. While their are a number of bites a year nationwide, there are actually few deaths. However the venom can permanently damage limbs and effect nerve endings in the bitten area.

Most snakebites are on the hands, arms and legs. If you watch the trail ahead and are cautious where you put your hands, your chances of being bit are diminished.

Personally I have stepped on Rattlers and they usually are more stunned than anything. I saw one den that had been under a tree in a creek and there had to be dozens of snakes all entwined in there. As agressive as they can be, I have noticed they generally only move toward you if they are harassed and have no other course. I have encountered them everywhere. My father in law saw his first just a year or so ago. My wife saw her first out behind our house just a few years back and she is a native Arizonan.

There is a product that is pretty effective at keeping snakes out of camp sites. "Dr. T's snake away" is a good product for those who worry about such things.

Having eaten Rattlesnake, I am not sure if I would say it really tastes like chicken or pork, but a little similar to both. You could survive on it, but it still is pretty good when put in a stew or with beans.

Any other thoughts or stories..............
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Rattlesnakes

Post by TC ASKEY »

Their is also another good product. A 12 ga. shotgun.
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

That reminded me of a group of people we were showing around the diggings. Three people stepped by or over a small rattler that was coiled
in the trail . I flipped it into the brush and then took the lead. There were a lot of snakes out in fall and spring.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Dr Ts is a powder that will deter the snakes from a campsite. I was curious if anyone had used the product. Supposedly it messes with the snakes receptors in smelling the air and causes them to turn away.

This spring seemed very quiet to years past. 0 Rattlesnakes and 1 Gila Monster.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote:1 Gila Monster.
Sure was a beauty too :D
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Might be nice to put together a photo album similar to Joe's "Water in the Superstitions" but about the wildlife.

That Gila monster didn't want to give way to us at all. Give him credit for standing his ground.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"