Lost Arizona treasures..

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
djui5
Expert

Lost Arizona treasures..

Post by djui5 »

Short but sweet:

Arizona treasures waiting to be found

Bars of gold remain hidden in the San Francisco Mountains in Coconino County. If stamped with the markings of territorial assayers they would have significant numismatic value.

Bandits' loot from a train robbery secreted near Bisbee Junction has never been found.

Treasure from a holdup at Canyon Station. Will C. Barnes commented:4 "A large natural cave on Posta Quemada Canyon, eight miles off the Tucson-Douglas highway and 19 miles east of Tucson. On south slope of Wrong Mountain in the Rincon range. Owned by the state. First discovered by a man named Rolls, 1879. A Southern Pacific Railroad train was robbed in 1884, and the robbers trailed to this cave. One man was found dead. The others escaped. On Christmas, 1902, some Tucson people found some old Wells-Fargo sacks which proved to be part of the 1884 holdup upon identification in San Francisco."

Hashknife Charley's missing 38 gold bars, near Sononita, Santa Cruz County may have assayers' stamps on them, but no one will know until they are found.

A safe and its contents proved to be missing after a flash flood in Fools Gulch northeast of Wickenburg. Possibly, the treasure remains today underground in some dry stream bed.

Treasure taken by pirates from the steamer Gila near Crescent Spring, Mohave County. (This sounds like a very interesting story!)

A thousand pounds of silver dollars taken in a train robbery in the Dos Cabezas Mountains near Willcox remains unaccounted for. At 56 pounds per $1,000 face value, this would amount to close to 20,000 coins.

In addition to coin accounts, stories abound of lost silver (mostly) and gold mines in Arizona. The legend of the Lost Dutchman Mine at Superstition Mountain is a staple item in the folklore of the state.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I believe the pirate story is about a man dressed as a soldier. He fled on the Arizona side and only his horse was found. Likely that his booty was buried somewhere in the area of the dead horse.

The safe is south of the Walnut Grove area supposedly.

Add in the handful of two soldiers stories as well. They are usually French or French Canadien, sometimes it is a mine, a tunnel and a ledge. There is a jar with their names is still in a jar somewhere awaiting claim. No one can produce their names though...........

Add in my favorite............the Sycamore canyon lost Spanish mine. I did a lot of climbing in the northern end by Whitehorse, heard several variations on that one.