Drift Mine on Lynx Creek

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
Potbelly Jim
Part Timer

Drift Mine on Lynx Creek

Post by Potbelly Jim »

Here is another location I was wondering about. This is a hard-rock mine that followed a clay-filled crack in the solid rock mountain. Location 34 29 11N/112 21 55W. It's at the base of the mountain on the east side of Lynx Creek just south of Bannie Mine Rd. Here is a picture of the main shaft...
Jim R.
Potbelly Jim
Part Timer

Re: Drift Mine on Lynx Creek

Post by Potbelly Jim »

There's a shaft going straight down from the main shaft, but it's filled with water. This shaft was at least 30 feet deep. Dropped a rock down and followed it down with my flashlight about that far before I lost sight of it.
Jim R.
Potbelly Jim
Part Timer

Post by Potbelly Jim »

Farther back along the main shaft. This shaft is relatively straight and is about 100ft long.
Jim R.
Potbelly Jim
Part Timer

Post by Potbelly Jim »

This is just inside the mine, and may be why they dug here. Appears to be azurite, but there were some brownish crystals that looked like someone had chipped out the biggest ones...
Jim R.
Potbelly Jim
Part Timer

Post by Potbelly Jim »

Here's a pic of the brown crystals. Anyone know the history of this mine? It's within the public panning area and therefore no longer open to claim, and also subject to Nat'l Forest mineral extraction rules. The mine dump has mostly been washed away during flooding, so it's not readily apparent what was being mined. Anyone that has info willing to share, appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Jim R.