Al Sieber, chief of scouts

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Al Sieber, chief of scouts

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

found this for cubfan...looks like the book you were looking for is reprinted now...barnes an noble have it for 20 bucks...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/al-sieb ... 1000345483
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: Al Sieber, chief of scouts

Post by Cubfan64 »

Thanks PWP
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Pip and Paul,

Sounds like a high-dollar law firm!

Two authors I like to collect are, Dan Thrapp and Constance Altshuler. A few years ago I was lucky enough to find the book on Al Sieber that you are discussing. It was a first edtion hardback that was enscribed by Thrapp. What was unusual about it was that it was enscribed to Constance Altshuler. What is even more unusual is that where Altshuler's name is written, she signs the name herself. 8O

For me, that was a rare treasure. Never seen that done before.

Take care,

Joe
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

that is odd joe...perhaps they kniew each other?

i went to a yard sale yesterday...a pile of books, some professor...lots of american west...native american//
so i ask about the sieber book...' no havent seen it.'..
so he kinda blocks me from leaving...heard dogs me to the books...he is an old dude so i humor him...
as he is telling me he doesn't have the book, i am fussing through the piles..the osage tale caught my eye..so i move the book, an there, in MINT condition, is dan trapp's al sieber, chief of scouts.
university press's send out tons of books for the professors to review..seems this doc got the book, put it on the shelf an never opened it...

need i admit i am a criminal for paying the guy what he asked for the text? two dollars!
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

that is odd joe...perhaps they kniew each other?

i went to a yard sale yesterday...a pile of books, some professor...lots of american west...native american//
so i ask about the sieber book...' no havent seen it.'..
so he kinda blocks me from leaving...heard dogs me to the books...he is an old dude so i humor him...
as he is telling me he doesn't have the book, i am fussing through the piles..the osage tale caught my eye..so i move the book, an there, in MINT condition, is dan trapp's al sieber, chief of scouts.
university press's send out tons of books for the professors to review..seems this doc got the book, put it on the shelf an never opened it...

need i admit i am a criminal for paying the guy what he asked for the text? two dollars!
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Pip,

You are, indeed, a "criminal". A hardback runs around $50. And up. Needless to say, I paid a premium for the signatures....and would have paid more. I can't believe you would take such ruthless advantage of an old professor who's mind was obviously failing so badly. :lol:

Constance Altshuler was an author and historian. Her speciality was early Arizona military history. In her early career, she was a statistician, and that shows in the style of her books. Thrapp and Altshuler were indeed good friends. It was not so much that Thrapp would present her with the inscribed Sieber book, but that she would sign her own name in the inscription.

For the book, as you described it, you could pay as much as $200. Congratulations on a great find.

Joe
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

PWP - sounds like you hit "gold" :) I would have spent a bunch of time picking through all the native american books - in fact, maybe have offered him a flat fee for everything!
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

cubbie, i did spend quite some time at his home...he said he would accept an offer on all the books...
i donated my library to a charter school up in flagstaff...after spending hundreds of dollars in storage fees...
i am not sure my living situtation is capable of attending to a collection of books just now...