lost jesuit goldmines

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Re: lost jesuit goldmines

Post by Oroblanco »

Hola amigo Pippin - I would only point out that this one probably ought to be titled "Lost Franciscan Goldmines" for the missions on the Colorado were founded by padre Garces, whom was killed by the Indians in their uprising against the Spaniards. This source:

http://books.google.com/books?id=C8YUAA ... &q&f=false

..helps to pinpoint the location as the author visited the site and compared his sources but also included mention that Mexicans had later returned and dug in the old mission for gold. No word whether they were successful or not. One Indian version claims that sacks of gold were thrown into the river during the uprising, which may still be on the river bottom even if the sacks have long rotted away.

Thank you for posting this one, it is interesting!
Oroblanco
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

howdy...
but if i had said Franciscan, no one would have looked... :D

but it is a great story...an unlike the dutchman...it is in gold country...
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

Ain't it the truth amigo! I do not know why the Franciscans get little attention by treasure hunters when they were very definitely involved in mining, longer than the Jesuits, and they too were run out of the country but at a later date. In some cases they even rediscovered and worked old Jesuit mines. Yet few bother to research their history.

Roy
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca