CALALUS

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: CALALUS

Post by Cubfan64 »

Joe Ribaudo wrote:Paul,

I just received some information today, and it looks like Jack and Bernice pointed the way into the Superstition Mountains for the Calalus migration theories.

It seems probable that the Bent's believed in the authenticity of the Tucson Artifacts, and had that idea bolstered by the few professional people, like Covey, who had an axe to grind with that kind of early Europian migration.

From the light skimming I have done, I think both you and Garry will be interested.

See you soon,

Joe
Sounds interesting - did you mean to say the Bent's or the McGee's? Looking forward to getting out there and doing a ton of hiking/exploring. The weather is starting to cool off pretty good here now and it's been raining quite a bit - although I'll miss most of the really good fall colors, there should be some left when I get back.

I'll probably be bitching about the AZ heat once I get there, but for right now it sounds welcome :)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

I meant the Bent's, but it may also apply to the McGee's.

I need to read a bit more on it.

Take care,

Joe
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

cubfan...you might want to bring long underwear...
the bottom fell out of the temp this week.

wet an cold today.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Thanks PWP - good reminder for me to check and doublecheck the weather forecasts for my trip. I always bring along long underwear out there - especially after my camping trip to Reavis Ranch a couple years ago when I darn near froze trying to sleep on the ground.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

I assume you already know this, but some may not.

Building a small fire in front of a large boulder or rock face with enough room to safely lay your sleeping bag in between, can make for a cozy night when it's cold. You will be waking up during the night to add more wood, but you won't freeze your burro off.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

The more I read of the McGee/Bent correspondence, the more I understand your trying to make a Calalus/OZ/Superstition Mountains connection. Not that there is any evidence to support those connections, but I can see why you have attempted to do so.

In the letters, Bent shows a casual interest in the Superstitions, prodded by the McGee's explorations. It seems you have certainly made a mountain (OZ/Calalus) out of a molehill here.....No pun intended.

Since everything has been removed from the Superstitions, why not put an end to the OZ charade by giving it's location to some trustworthy people, such as Paul and Wayne (Somehiker)? If that seems to be out of the question, a few pictures would help. I would suggest that you not post more pictures of the Techatticup mine in Eldorado Canyon. That did not work out very well the last time you did it.

I am ready to get into the Bent Manuscript which, of course, has nothing to do with OZ. If you remain unwilling to produce some kind of verifiable evidence of it's existence, I am through with that part of the discussion. I'm sure you can see how that is a dead end...........without some proof.

On the other hand, Calalus remains interesting.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

I don't know if you are willing to continue the conversation with me any longer, but there is one question I would like to see you answer.

If William Bent were alive today, what do you believe he would think about the story of OZ that you have presented to us here?

I believe Bent was sincere in his belief in the Tucson Artifacts and Calalus.

Take care,

Joe