Senner's Gold

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
buscar
Part Timer

Senner's Gold

Post by buscar »

It is assumed that the reader has read Thomas Kollenborn’s booklet, Al Senner’s Lost Gold of Superstition Mountain and/or Helen Corbin’s book, Senner’s Gold.

From what I have read, I believe the facts are pretty straightforward. Further, it appears to support facts not found in both the legend of the Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, and the so called Peralta Stone Maps, that have led nowhere.

Do you believe Senner’s gold, is somewhere above the towering cliffs on Superstition Mountain?

I am curious to find out what anyone thinks.

buscar :)

There’s gold in them thar stories and that’s where most of it is
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Changes......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Larry,

Been awhile since you were posting here. Hope all is well with you and the family.

"From what I have read, I believe the facts are pretty straightforward. Further, it appears to support facts not found in both the legend of the Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, and the so called Peralta Stone Maps, that have led nowhere."

Are you saying that the Peralta Maps are not accurate? Being accurate does not mean they lead to a treasure, only that they are a viable map of the terrain.

Did you look for anything in the area of the X in front of Weaver's Needle?
Lot's of connections between the Stone Maps and Harry's cave.

"Do you believe Senner’s gold, is somewhere above the towering cliffs on Superstition Mountain?"

It seems a good bet that Senner did take did lift some gold. Who knows if the story is true. A number of people have lost their lives in that area.

Take care,

Joe
buscar
Part Timer

Senner's Gold

Post by buscar »

Hi Joe,

All is well. Thanks.

“Are you saying that the Peralta Maps are not accurate? Being accurate does not mean they lead to a treasure, only that they are a viable map of the terrain.”

I do not know that they are a viable map of the terrain. Does anyone have POSITIVE proof?

Anyhow, according to Thomas Kollenborn, he was shown a diary found in an attic trunk. Between its pages, he discovered a hand-drawn map, signed Al Senner, 1894, Goldfield, A. T. (Arizona Territory). On the right side of the map was a statement by Doctor Amos Basset saying that the map belonged to Al Senner and that he removed it from the body in the Superstition Mountains in 1895.

1. Glancing at the geographic diagram drawn on the map found in Corbin’s book, there is evidence, that when Doctor Amos Basset discovered the map on Senner’s body, it was folded. Matching stains caused by body fluids, attest to the fact.

2. Too, the signature, “Al Senner 1894 Goldfield, A. T.” (Arizona Territory) gives clue to when the map was drawn and by whom.

3. The map also identifies the mountain the gold is hidden on by the use of a large CHECK MARK pointing to Superstition Mountain, spelled out on the map.

4. “Katie this for her,” implies the portion of the gold, Senner is giving her (in his will) which is 2100# multiplied by $5# equals $10,500. The amount is written to the far right on the map.

5. “Take note to Bill Kimball today about will,” suggests Senner was on his way off Superstition Mountain, to see Kimball, when the ledge crumbled and he fell to an agonizing death.

Are there any clues, the ones that would lead to Senner’s gold? Yes, but is the gold still there?

There's gold in them thar stories and that's where most of it is.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Without a doubt, my favorite book by Helen Corbin. Well written and a great story. It is surprising it was never passed around as a screenplay, it would have made a great film.

While I don't know how much was fleshed out to create a whole story, it was good enough for me to merit a couple of trips to look around. I had someone kind enough to guide me to the cliff area and camp site as where they believed those locations were. I was intrigued. Normally you have to suspend belief or feel a little let down when cross the line between fact and possible fiction. In this case I am sure the story was more than a framework that was pounded into a work of fiction.

I never read Kollenborns original piece on Senner, but I would figure Corbins followed it closely.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
armchair
Part Timer

Senner's Gold

Post by armchair »

I haven't read the Senner story in awhile, but didn't it end with the implication that Senner must have moved the gold? I think he moved it down from the mountain peaks and it was later found.

When I read the newspaper article from 1935 about a Charles Williams having gold with him and claiming to find it in a cave and burying it under a flat rock, I thought this must have been Senner's gold.

The articles on Charles Williams followed that the authorities took the gold away from him because they said it was the purity of "dental gold". But five years later Williams is back in the news, this time asking the authorities if it is OK to bring the gold back that he put under the flat rock. Then an article which shows he went into the mountains again as he claimed to find the cave where the smelting was done.

What made the connection for me that Williams gold must have been hi-grade from Goldfield was the comment in Dr. Glower's book that the Goldfield gold he had tested was almost like "dental gold".
buscar
Part Timer

Senner's Gold

Post by buscar »

Zentull,

Always been curious about that, too... Why it was never passed around as a screenplay.

Armchair,

Charles Williams… Very good observation.

Anyone else?

buscar :P

zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The Williams find in December 1940 was of Human bones, a Spanish tea kettle, a heavy stone mill and some knives in a cave around Weavers Needle with John Hallberg. There is a picture from the Mesa tribune where the two show the bones and ore samples from their discovery. There is no mention of this Charles(Also mentioned as Charley) Williams being connected to the earlier story. I found that unusual. The earlier story implies Williams was disabled and the later article there is nothing to connect the two other than in name. I have found nothing to really connect the two stories, but also nothing that really confirms that are two different people.

The caves appear to be very separate locations though.

I posted the Williams articles in their entirety on a post concerning the earlier find from the 1935 period elsewhere.
buscar
Part Timer

Senner's Gold

Post by buscar »

The stories of gold float ore being found in Old West Boulder Canyon, is another possibility.

zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Those stories seem to help verify the Senner tale. Hopefully Bob Corbin makes it down again this fall and someone brings up the Senner story for him to elaborate on. I remember him mentioning something about it, maybe Joe can remember what it was.