Spanish Missions

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Spanish Missions

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

This topic will be for the discussion of the old missions of the Southwest and related subjects, such as: Bells, Jesuits, Franciscans.....etc.

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Airport Bell

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

The more I study the airport bell, the less I am certain it is the bell in the photo. I've gone back and forth on this and the lip just doesn't look right. Of course, it's hard to really see the bell in the old photo.

Furthermore, I see nothing on the bell suggesting it is Spanish. Again, the lip is wrong and there is no banding, no crown, and no other markings suggesting it's origin.

Notice the lips on the bells in the photos you posted. Notice the crown. Notice the banding. Our airport bell has none of this. Without the original neck and crown, or the clapper, I'm really without conclusion. I'm stumped.

I started an archive for missions and bells, titled: Bats in the Belfry. http://www.thelostdutchmangoldmine.com/ ... the-Belfry

I also posted a few more photos of the Bell of San Jose. The archive is open to anyone interested in posting photos on the subject.

Laz

(Brad)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Bells

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Brad,

I added some of my pictures to your archive album.

Would you take a closer look and compare the edge of the lips of the bells. Let me know what you think.

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Belles

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

I'll take a closer look at the lips of the belles...

well, you know the punch line.

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Bells

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

those two bells are great! They probably don't sound so good, but we've been over that. They are quite nice.

I'll be posting more photos as well, of Spanish bells and a few other oddities.

Brad
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Wrong Bells

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Brad,

You are looking at the wrong pictures. Go to the second page of your album and look at the three pictures of the San Miguel Bell. You might want to put them in your photo program and zoom in close on the edge of the bell lips. That's what I would like an opinion on, especially note the left edge of the 1915 picture.

Thanks,

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Bells

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

dang, dude...
good observation! That does not appear to be the Bell of San Jose. The lower bands don't appear the same, nor do I recall having seen any cracks in the bell. As you noticed, the edge of the lip is also different.

I know the bell sat on the ground for a number of years, but that wouldn't account for the discrepancies. That means there was more than one?

Where did you find that photo?

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Bell

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

perhaps it's mud, or an illusion, or shadows...

Hopefully someone will post a photo of the back side of the bell, as I don't believe I've seen one.

Again, I'm perplexed.

Brad
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Could Be......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Brad,

It could be any of the things you mentioned, probably not mud, but I can only judge by what I see.

The larger question would be: Was the original bell, said to be cast in Spain in 1356, removed for some reason and replaced with a less historic/valuable bell?

Could that be why there is a problem with the actual age of the bell? That's a lot of years to be wrong by. Is it legend or realitly?

As someone who is looking into the history of that bell, thought you might want to step outside the box.

Good luck,

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Bell

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

I really can't say at this point. Nearly anything is possible.

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Bell of San Jose

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

Nick and I have begun analyzing the old bell photo dated 1915. Most of the anomalies can probably be explained. More later.

Brad
(Laz)
lazarus
Expert

Bell

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

I'll have an update on the old bell photo analysis in the next day or so, including the effects of time and temperature on the silver bromide crystals in the film emulsion.

I have other articles you may wish to peruse at:

http://destinationarizona.blogspot.com/

Brad
NeedleMan
Greenhorn

Post by NeedleMan »

Here's a good one that Mr Thomas Cooper wrote:

http://timetoimpeach.blogspot.com/

What a Nutbag!

Bobby
NeedleMan
Greenhorn

Post by NeedleMan »

Excuse me, I was reffering to Brad Cooper.

Bobby
lazarus
Expert

nutbag

Post by lazarus »

Bobby,
thank you for taking the time to read my articles.

Nutbag Brad
NeedleMan
Greenhorn

Post by NeedleMan »

[Ad hominem argument deleted by admin]
lazarus
Expert

Bobby

Post by lazarus »

Bobby,

thanks for setting me straight. You are obviously a very smart guy and a true patriot.

Brad
NeedleMan
Greenhorn

Post by NeedleMan »

Thank you for your support!
lazarus
Expert

NM

Post by lazarus »

Needle Man,

you are welcome.

Laz