WATER IN THE SUPERSTITIONS

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Keeping with Joe's original topic, does anyone have a definitive date of when the First water ranch was established and when First water creek and Second water spring were named ?
padutchman
Greenhorn

Back to the Water...

Post by padutchman »

I really do not know the history, but the names First Water and Second Water sound like names a cowhand would use to identify places along a trail into the mountains, particularly if they became reliable, primary water sources for livestock and riders alike.

My question re the names of water sources is why and when did Bluff Spring and Crystal Spring locations exchange positions on the maps? Since they are close together it probably was an easy error for a mapmaker to commit when publishing a revision.

Joe asked on an earlier post if anyone remembered Piper Spring? Yes, I do remember references to Ed Piper's spring, but never saw exactly where it was. I do remember he had a small grove of fruit trees near his tent just off the main trail. It was 1961 when I first met Mr. Piper. I was making my first hike into the Supers with a buddy and suddenly came upon what appeared to be a well established camp right on the main trail. Shouting the required "Hello the camp..." a voice from the partially opened tent responded. Sitting on a cot still inside the darkened tent, Mr. Piper had only two questions for my partner and me: Where are you fellas going and when are you leaving? We were on a day hike from the trailhead near the Don's Camp to the base of Black Top Mesa and return. On the way back, we made our own trail along the base of Weaver's Needle, and gave Piper's Camp a wide berth before intersecting the trail back to Freemont Saddle and the trailhead. In 1961 there was a small spring that emerged from a rock formation on the trail near Piper's camp, but I do not think that water source was Piper Spring. That small spring was very seasonal and not available during the summer months in the early '60s.

Another buddy and I recently returned from a 5 day backpack trip into the western Supers via Miner's Needle to Bluff Spring Canyon on the southeast end of BSM. We found two water sources readily available the first week of February. One was about half way up the steep trail that passes Miner's Needle on the right side. Just as the trail hooks to the right following contour lines about two thirds of the way up, a respectable pool of water emerges at the base of a rock wall. There was a little green algae visible, but our portable filter pump worked just fine and the taste was excellent. The water source on the southwest end of BSM was three small pools about 50 yards down the drywash from where the main trail crosses the wash just before meeting the trail to LaBarge Canyon. Again we used our water pump and had great tasting water.

When I called ahead to the Mesa Ranger Station to check on confirmed water sources, they did not have these springs on their list. Finding those unexpected sources were not very scientific. The first spring was so close to the narrow trail we almost tripped into it. The second spring was almost as easy to find. I noticed green grass down the dry wash while taking a break at the trail intersection. A little exploring in the direction of the taller, greener grass and weeds led us to the water pools. Although we planned for a later water stop, we took advantage of every opportunity to stay well hydrated and fill up our bottles.

I apologize for the lengthy post. I'll try to shorten them in the future.
Bill Bear
Wasilla, Alaska
Grayhair
Greenhorn

PM

Post by Grayhair »

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum! You have a private message.

Grayhair
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Info.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Grayhair,

Hope all is well in the hinterlands.

Hopefully, you can post some of the information you passed along to Bill, for the rest of us.

Wanted to let you know that last month housing permints were on the rise here. That shows a glimmer of hope for the housing market.

Bill,

When I first saw Piper Spring, it was covered with an iron plate. I assume my memory is not completely gone, and that's how someone else remembers it. :)

My Uncle Chuck had a claim on Black Top, so we may have sat on some of the same rocks. :lol:

Whatever information Grayhair gave to you can be taken to the bank.

I was on Kodiak Island for a year, and have fond memories of the island and the people.

Take care,

Joe