Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

He Is With You Still

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Carolyn and I will keep you, your Father and the family in our thoughts and prayers.

Having two relatives pass away with Alzheimers, both in my home and one in my arms, I can assure you he is in a better place. You can be thankful for that, even as you mourn your loss.

We believe your Dad is with you still and will provide you comfort in this dark time. The memories of the good days and the sure knowledge he is in a better place, will give you strength.

Take care,

Joe and Carolyn
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Sorry about your loss Roger.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Roger and Joe,

All this has been close to home for me. Some words of advice I can give from someone who was not able to take that advice: Remember them fondly, take time to grieve and most importantly let go......

Sounds easy, but it has a way of getting away from you.

Take care both of you and my condolences and sympathies for your losses.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Words

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

My friends,

Your words of encouragement while you are both working your way through your own losses mean a great deal to me. Taking time out from your own pain to ease another's shows that your words come from the heart.

Our Dad's would each want us to remember them with a smile, rather than a tear. The would want us to go on with our lives and make the most of each day, just as those who went before wished for them.

It's all we can do.

My thank's and best wishes go out to you.

Take care,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

Dad's Passing

Post by Roger »

Thanks to everyone on the kind thoughts and well wishes. I suspect many of us are getting to an age that this is a more common happening with parents and relatives.

We should celebrate the life and not the passing of a loved one.

Roger
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Roger,

My sincere condolences. I believe that it must be hardest to lose someone twice, and it seems to me that that is what happens with someone who gets Alzheimer's. I watched Al (Reser) slowly sink into Alzheimer's and it wasn't his death so much that hurt, but watching him slip away and lose him the first time. Remember them as they were when they were themselves. That's who they were, who they are.

Take care, and you too will be in my prayers,

Thomas

PS: Don't know what it was, but it has been awhile since I really checked either forum, but today I wrote/emailed a Dutch Hunter colleague and friend which got me thinking about the forums. Then Carol reminded me just now that today is the anniversary of my father's passing two years ago. You are so right Roger, many of us are at that age. I wonder how many of us thought we would make it this far.
Roger
Part Timer

Passing of My Father

Post by Roger »

Thomas,

I appreciate your kind thoughts on the loss of my Father. We had the funeral last Saturday and he is now next to my Mother who passed away in 2000.

These events remind one of their own mortality and how fragile and fleeting life can be. My wife and I are making a new committment to make the most of life in our retirement years and not let them slip away till our health begins to fail. The country song "Live Like You Were Dying" has more meaning to it than one might think.

Roger
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

joe,
i havent looked in for some considerable time,so i guess although my condolences are rather late,id like to offer them anyway.the only way one can deal with the loss of a loved one is by remembering them,and keeping them alive that way. its a sad fact of life that as we get older,more and more of our friends and loved ones fall by the wayside.i remember many years ago when i lost my kid brother at a tender age,i asked the vicar officiating at the funeral "why him? he was but 12 years of age" .the only reply i received was.."why? ive stopped asking myself why any more"......anyway time is a great healer so they say,maybe it is,maybe it isnt......keep your chin up
kind regards
doug
Don update your email address
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Thank You

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Doug,

Thank you for the kind thoughts.

Dad's passing was a blessing for him. He was in no distress, but he was just alive....not living. I miss him, but I was missing him long before he took his last breath.

I hope all is well for you and your family.

Thanks again, and take care,

Joe
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Gene

Post by Thomas Glover »

I just had a telephone call from Gene Reynolds. He is in the hospital, says his blood pressure was 65 over something like 40. Apparently they are trying to get him up to a strength where he can stand surgery--pacemaker. He sounds very weak and short of breath. Called me to ask if I would please remember him to Donny and Jacob the two boys he has looked after and loves very much. Today might be a good day to remember Gene in your prayers. Damn, it seems like one of the curses of the Dutchman is loosing friends..... Gotta be real honest I have had enough of this....
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Gene Reynolds

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thomas,

Gene called me right after he had talked to you. He sounds very weak and does not seem to have much fight left in him.

I am a firm believer in the tangible power of prayer. I hope that everyone here prays that Gene receives the strength to recover his fighting spirit.

I will also send him an email, hoping it will lift his spirits when he gets home.

He talked about his new truck and how he hoped it would bring him to the Rendezvous. That seems a long way away right now. We all need something to look forward to and I know that Gene really wanted to be at this years event. He will be there.

Carolyn and I will be praying for Gene's recovery.

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Gene Reynolds

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

It's a little difficult to be talking about Gene in this topic, as he is still with us and doing much better. Gives the whole thing a Mark Twain aura.

It turned out that Gene's heart was not the problem after all. Crappy doctor.....crappy hospital. :x

Gene had some kind of virus and was dangerously dehydrated. He has been plagued with the runs for a month or more, thus the dehydration.

He sound much better now and is still talking about moving to Arizona. If that happens I trust we will all get to meet him at the Rendezvous.

Glad to make that progress report. :D

Joe Ribaudo
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Glad to hear it, as I was looking forward to meeting him one day. To hear his story told by a campfire would be awesome.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Chuck Crawford

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

One of the reasons I started this topic, was so that some of the less well known Dutch Hunters could be remembered and their passing noted.

Greg Davis recently sent out an email advising a few people that Charles (Chuck) Crawford had passed away last month. No details were included in the message, other than the date he passed away.

I never met Chuck, but it seems to me that we are all brothers in the fraternity of the Superstitions. I have gleaned a little information about the man and will post it in the hopes that others, who may have know him, will add a little personal history.

"Charles M. Crawford was an interesting person. I met him for the first time in 1975, in Bark's Canyon. Deleated.....and I were riding horseback in the area looking at the numerous mine tunnels and dumps in the area. Chuck had just staked out his claims in the area. Just before meeting me Chuck talked Channel 12 into doing a news doc on a stone he found. He claim the date was left there by the Coronado Expedition in 1541. Yes, Crawford and my trail crossed several time during the past thirty years. Chuck raised a lot of money off of his imagination over the years. He was really into fire assayer. Some of the small smelters he built kind of scared me, but they never blew up. He managed to melt his samples and pour off the slag. I believe Chuck was from Buffalo, New York. Chuck certainly had his problems with the local constabulary over the years. As you probably know he ran for Sheriff of Pinal County a couple of times. One time he got over 13,000 votes which shocked everyone. These are just a couple of stories. A lot of people spent more time with Chuck then I did and know more about his mining operation."

Sounds like Chuck was, pretty much, one of us. :)

Chuck believed he had found the LDM and staked a claim close to Bark's Canyon. That was in 1976. He was quoted in an article published in the Phoenix Gazette, in 1980 that the LDM was no longer lost.

My condolences to Chuck's family and friends.

Godspeed,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Nellie Shell

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I recently received news of the passing of another member of our community:

"The reason for this email is to let you know about the passing of an old Dutch hunter. The lady that passed away was Nellie Shell. She died on Monday, November 5, 2007. You might be familiar with the book she wrote about Superstition Mountain titled Treasure Mountain. Basically the book was a children book about the Superstition Mountains and old prospector she met. Nellie began her exploration of the mountain in the early 1960's. She knew an old prospector named Clary who had a camp in Needle Canyon below Al Morrow in late forties and early fifties. I think old Clary was in Needle Canyon before Morrow."

"Memorial Services will be held for Nellie Monday, November 12, 2007, 7:00 PM at the Word of Grace Church, 655 E. University, Mesa, Arizona."

It may be that some of you knew her, and would like to attend the services tomorrow.

Godspeed Nellie.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Helen Corbin

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I received this message from Greg Davis this evening:

"Hello: I have sad news, Helen Corbin passed away Saturday of a heart
attack. The funeral will take place in Phoenix later in the week.
Cordially, Greg Davis"

Our prayer and thoughts are with the Corbin family and their many, many friends.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Sadly, I received this message from Larry this morning:

Joe,

I called to find out how Gene Reynolds was doing and the people he stayed with said that Gene died New Years Day. I was told that he had been cremated.

Click: (buscar) Members Photo Gallery (picture of Gene)

Gene Reynolds
92 Adella Lane
Jefferson, Ga. 30549
(706) 367-0812

Take care,

Buscar

As you all know, Gene's health had been failing for years. He will always be part of LDM history. Anyone who would like to add some of Gene's history to this topic, that would surely be welcome. I will add what I know later.

Gene was the author of "Borrego 13)

Joe Ribaudo
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

That's too bad - despite his being a "character," I would have liked to have met him.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

:(

RIP
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I was quite sad to see while catching up here on the forum that Gene had passed away. Always a Gentleman and very kind to me, I wish I would have had a chance or three to get to know him better. All I have now are a few phone conversations, a few notes we exchanged and my copies of Borrego 13. He will be missed.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ray G. Ruiz passed away August 25, 2010. Ray was the very well known owner of Ruiz Marina and the Bluebird Mine Curio Shop on the Apache Trail. He purchased the Bluebird in 1967. He was buried at the City of Mesa Cemetery on Sept. 1, 2010.

This information came to me from Tom and Sharon Kollenborn today. They were good friends of Ray.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

On May 11, Ernie Provence passed away. He had been in ill health for a number of years, and his body finally gave up the fight.

Ernie was an old friend of ours, and a partner of Chuck Ribaudo, my uncle. He was one of those guys who could always get a laugh out of you.

Ernie made it to the Rendezvous last year and wanted to make the trip again this year. He was able to reunite with old friends and acquaintances, and created some new ones. His daughter called us with the news this morning. They are hoping to hold a memorial service some time next year. Our thoughts and prayers are with Ernie and his family.

Pictures and more information can be found here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost- ... ost2585019

Joe & Carolyn Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

That link did not work. Try this:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost- ... ost2805805

Joe
Mrs. Oroblanco
Greenhorn

Post by Mrs. Oroblanco »

Joe,

Our sympathies go out to you - I know you were old friends.

I am glad we had the opportunity and honor to spend some time getting to know him and hearing some of his stories during the last Rendezvous.

He, and his knowledge, will be missed.

Beth & Roy
Attachments
trying to get Randy serious.jpg
trying to get Randy serious.jpg (103.9 KiB) Viewed 37077 times
Ernie Provence,Randy,Joe R, Sarge.jpg
Ernie Provence,Randy,Joe R, Sarge.jpg (107.03 KiB) Viewed 37077 times
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Beth,

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

It had been over thirty years since I had last seen Ernie. We had a restaurant in Ramona, CA and his mother lived just east of there. He stopped in to say hello.

Ernie was one of those rare.......story tellers. Sitting around a campfire was never boring when Ernie was there. Even last year at the Rendezvous he was still weaving his spell. He was trying to get me interested in a treasure cave that he had personally seen, and been scared away from. I would guess that others probably heard the same story.

I had high hopes that many of you would get to know him better over a few more Rendezvous'. We talked about his poor health, and Ernie knew he didn't have a lot of time left. He was very matter of fact in discussing his approaching death.

One by one we are losing the old time Dutch Hunters. That was a prime motivation for starting the Rendezvous. In that respect, it has worked very well indeed.

Hope all is well with you, Roy and the pups.

Take care,

Joe