The Priest of the Superstitions

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Roger
Part Timer

Post by Roger »

H.A. Bennett wrote a small 32 page booklet in 1970 titled "Treasures, Mines, Indians, Death". In it he has a photograph he calls the "Padre of the Peralta". I have posted this photo in the Members Archieve under Roger's Album. Take a look at it.

Bennett's picture certainly could be called a Padre or Priest and one could easily tie it to the Peralta Stone Maps and the Priest Stone. The Spanish would certainly have noted the similarity and used it for a map marker.

I have somewhere in my research notes the canyon where this figure was located, but have not had time to dig for it. The figure has since fallen from a rockslide.

Bennett's booklet provides a clear picture of how dangerous the Supers were in the late 1960's as he was shot at, threatened, and told to stay out of certain areas in the Supers. It took a lot of courage to keep searching for the LDM under these circumstances. More individuals than just Adolph Ruth never made it out of those mountains.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Priest Rock

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

That's an interesting formation. Is the picture in the booklet clearer than what ends up on this site? Do you believe the picture is authentic? It would be interesting to know what canyon it was in.

Thanks for posting it.

Take care,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

H.A. Bennett's Book

Post by Roger »

Joe,

The booklet I have is a 1990 Rare Book Reprint published by the Superstition Mountain Historical Society. I checked the SHMS Museum web site, but don't see this item for sale and couldn't find it on the web either.

The picture in the book is not very good due to the quality of the reprint. I scanned it and used some photo tools to try to get it sharper, but the file got large and the Forum Archives would not let me upload one that large. Had to cut it back to what you see in my Album.

I did a brief search for info on which canyon had this Priest figure in it but didn't find it. As I remember, it was an item writen by another individual that described the figure plus named the canyon and the fact that it had fallen. I will look some more when I have time.

Also, Joe - check your PM's.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Picture

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have anything in my private messages from you.

I took your picture and also tried to clear it up a bit. Not much success, but without any enhancement at all, there is a white line running beneath the figure, that does not look natural. It is very straight and runs a little too far to the right. My eyes may be playing tricks on me, so you should judge it for yourself. :oops:

Take care,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

Post by Roger »

Joe, I indicated that I would post what I thought was the location of the Priest of the Superstition from H.A. Bennett's booklet that I posted earlier. I accidently ran across that reference yesterday and thought I post it.

Barney Barnard wrote his booklet, "The Story of Jacob Waltzer - Superstition Mountain and its famed Dutchman's Mine", (June, 1954). Barney had an appendix in his book on "Chronological Order of Events" on pages 33 to 58 that covered the events relating to Jacob Waltz, Arizona, the Supersition Mtns, etc from 1539 to 1961. On page 40 he enters this event for the year 1919:

"Discovery of stone statue in Monument Canyon".

That is my one and only reference to where the stone priest was located. Personally, can't believe I retained that factoid from reading that 25 page list of events a number of years ago - ha. Some old grey cells fire once in awhile.

Hope this is what you were after.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Priest or Soldier?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Thanks for the information.

I believe the statue was said to be a "German statue". It seems to me, that I read or heard somewhere, that it was the likness of a German soldier.

I have my doubts about the "Priest Map", as you know. There are just too many "clues" that point to Ted DeGrazia and Chuck Aylor. I would bet money on that, just don't know how to prove it.

Hope all is well at home. Will you make it to this years Rendezvous? I am looking forward to visiting with you again.

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Joe,

I understand your point alluding to the likeness of the priest to Chuck. I would like to know what other things would lead you to the belief that Ted and Chuck were involved in the map.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Ted

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne,

A search for "ted de grazia" will bring up most of the posts that have been done on that subject. A few things that may not have been mentioned are: It's likely that Ted signed his name on the stone. One other thing is that Tom Kollenborn mentions where he believed the maps were drawn from and calls the creator an "artist".

It has been mentioned, by experts, that the drawings resemble a cartoon style from the forties. That describes Ted's style.....to a "T".

If I can think of more information that has not been presented here or on Treasure Network, I will add it later.

Joe