Unanswered Questions

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

New Threads?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Perhaps you can start posting in the last topic you started. It has created quite an interest in the members. No need to post under your real name, just bring back some of your other personalities. Who would know? :lol:

You have taken this thread, and the others, and turned them into your private "Insult Joe"...."fan club". I know, I know....I am the one who is doing it all. And you think I'm crazy. :roll:

Well, in any case, you are doing a great job....Keep up the good work.

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

:?:
Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Try This

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Maybe you should try something else. Why not go back into your important topic there, and tell us again about your early morning sex life?
That went over well last time, who knows what responses you might generate if you give everyone more details?

Sorry I won't be able to respond to whatever you decide to reveal, as I am really getting tired of the whole Peter thing. Such a shame, they were so close to giving you the proper name. :lol:

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Since we are throwing all questions against the wall in no uniformed order I have one that always plagues me and I never get a straight answer.

You can make a list of people who are generally regarded as good guys, who appear to get along with everyone and if nothing else would be cautious in even the least unkind word they may speak against someone.

They all appear to have no tolerance for Dick Holmes. There seems to be a history of intense dislike for him. They do however appear to really like Brownie.

Did Dick Holmes have the personality of Ty Cobb? It has to go beyond the deathbed ore.
buscar
Part Timer

Harry's Cave With Gold Bars

Post by buscar »

Ladies and gentleman, buscar is back in the building!!! So please, nothing worthless or annoying, or the show is over.

While Harry was down in the wash, it started to rain a little harder, and when he looked up, he saw a rock on a thirty-five degree angle slope, that had a cavity (hollow hole) underneath it.

After, Harry had slid underneath the rock to get out of the rain, he noticed a hole that went further back. Eager to find out the reason, he crawled head first on his hands and knees through the narrow opening. The distance was about twenty feet.

Now, the three questions, that has eluded the searcher for more than thirty years:

1: Did Harry notice that the rock was triangle shape from the wash?

2: While he was moving up the hill?

3: After arriving at the location?

Recently, a photo surfaced, that matches the rock in the area where, Harry claimed to have found his gold. No, it is not the triangle rock pictured at Member Archive. And, it does not look anything like it.

There are many reasons the full description of the triangle rock is being withheld from general knowledge. And also, because we do not want a green suit, or some other kind of stampede. :wink:

Besides, there is no possible way, that rock can be dragged to a new location like Gassler said, Tex Barkley, claimed, he did with Ruth’s body. :lol:

buscar :)
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Triangles! Is this what the indian lady was drawing in the sand????
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Not sure if this is the same squaw, but she also said in the center of the "mine" was a pole with a chain attached to it. Some folks have surmised that the miners used the chain to climb up and down the mineshaft.

Other folks have a better idea of what exactly she was describing here.
The place is still there and can easily be seen not too far off a main trail in the interior of the mountains.

The one I was refering to was drawing a traingle in the sand when an indian came by and kicked her, silently advising her that if she kept telling whoever it was where the mine was, she would be in big trouble.

I've heard your story above also, but not the part about the chain. That's new info :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

Randy,

You are talking about an old blind squaw. Her words to Scholey were, "Three big rocks, like wickiup,” and traced a triangle on the ground with her walking stick.

The three big rocks like wickiup, can be seen at Member Archive under buscar. Gassler believed that these three big rocks laid out in a semicircle might have been the ones the blind squaw was talking about.

TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

That's right! Thanks fellas

:D I love this place
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

Randy,

The rock described by Harry Leslie France, where he discovered six stacks of gold bars, was a single rock shaped like a triangle.

Joe Ribaudo
Expert

When?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Buscar,

When Harry jumped the three foot stream, he could see the rock about 100 yards up a slope. He turned directly away from the stream, 90 degrees, and climbed straight to the triangle shaped rock.

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Since this is the unanswered questions thread, I'm gonna take full advantage of asking "idiotic" questions....

Who is Harry Leslie France?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

Randy,

The story begins in the early 1970’s that involves a chap named Harry Leslie France. Harry had come to these mountains to meet a friend that had a prospect hole on the north side of Black Top Mesa. What he was doing in the mountains in a thunderstorm sure beats the heck out of me, but I suppose that was his business, not mine. Well, anyway, Harry got lost to the limbo of the desert, and wound up striking it rich only to have the desert play a deadly joke on him.

According to Harry, his friend had given him direction on how to find him. Armed with a canteen and some grub, he headed up Peralta Canyon to Freemont Saddle in full view of Weavers Needle. From here, the trail drops down into East Boulder Canyon. Harry moved further down the canyon to his first landmark on the trail known as Pinon Camp. Over-shadowed by Weavers Needle, it is a scenic place where four-pine trees grow.

His next landmark starched from here to Ed Piper's Camp, where there is a hidden spring. Along the way, the trail bends around to the right past Weavers Needle with the Needle being on his right side.

At the junction of the Peralta and Dutchman Trail, Harry noticed a water source flowing north in the same direction that he was traveling. Up to this point, he had traveled 6.2 miles. The trail continued down the canyon on the eastside of Palomino Mountain. There is little doubt, that it was here, Harry became confused and lost. Traveling west on the Dutchman Trail, he noticed a flow of water coming down from his left. Following it half to three quarters of a mile, he noticed another stream coming down from his left and turned up it. He jumped over the stream that was about three and a half feet wide and landed on the right side of it. Harry then went up a hill. There was a triangle shaped rock, and he crawled beneath it to get out of the rain, where he discovered stacks of gold bars.

Source: Tracy L Hawkins

buscar :P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Changes of the Seasons.

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Lawrence,

The question here, is who changed the story? You have added a few things, and left out a few. I believe the time frame was 1964 or 1965.
That only makes a difference, if someone is trying to track the history of Harry.

Let me rephrase that.....Someone has added a few things and left out a few.

What you have said here is close to the story in Bob Ward's book, with some minor changes. Tracy Hawkins or Ernie Provence was the source for that story.

My Uncle, Ernie Provence and Tracy Hawkins were my sources for the story. I am not going from memory for the Tracy Hawkins portion of the story, but I am for Chuck and Ernie.

Tracy was in partnership with Chuck and Ernie. I believe he has given me the straight story.

Don't take offense to this post, none was intended.

Take care,

Joe
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

Joe,

I am not offended with your post, and I know that no offense was intended.

While at Tracy’s home, he allowed me to tape his story on, Harry France.
I have also talked to Tracy a number of times on the phone and wrote down things, that he told me about Harry.

When I ask how accurate, Bob Ward’s account was, Tracy said that it was close to what he (Tracy) had told Ward.

Tracy was the person who told me that Bus Bonner had known, Harry France for some years, and that it was Bus who picked Harry up at the Fort Whipple Veteran Hospital in Prescott to take him into the mountains.

I spent a good part of the day at the Veteran Hospital, with an employee working there, and we could only find one person by the name of, Harry France. The record showed that he was born Jan 11, 1921 and died Jan 26, 1974. Because of his date of death, I told Tracy, that I didn’t think Bob Ward was correct on the date, 1964 or 1965. I also told Tracy, that Harry would not have waited that long to return to the mountains with that much gold involved
According to the hospital record, Harry Leslie France’s address at the time in Prescott was Box 785 Grand Ave Glendale, AZ, that, Tracy agreed with.

As to the date in question, it is likely, that I am the one who influenced Tracy away from the date in Ward’s book.

So, it’s possible that my date is incorrect.

murphy
Part Timer

unanswered questions

Post by murphy »

Has anyone seen or heard of a description of the gold bar Harry brought out of the mountains. Any stamps, or size? Also, Estee Conatser mentioned a cave of gold bars discovered in the 40's that people had been taking gold out of annually, could this be Harry's cave?
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Gold Bars

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Murphy,

As I recall, the ingots were around seven inches long and around two inches in diameter. If Tracy is looking in, he can tell you for sure. There were five dots with lines between them, not touching the dots, forming a crown.

Joe Ribaudo
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

At Member Archive under, buscar is a sketch and description of, Harry France’s gold bar done personally for me by Tracy L Hawkins.

murphy
Part Timer

unanswered Questions

Post by murphy »

Joe, Buscar,
Thanks for your help. I am assuming the Crown was stamped for the King of Spain. Joe, do you think that is the same stamp used in 1518?
murphy
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.