Walter Gassler mystery.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
TGH
Expert

www.thelostdutchman.net

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azmula
Part Timer

Complaints

Post by azmula »

Deleted
Last edited by azmula on Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LDM
Part Timer

Walter Gassler Mystery

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TGH
Expert

www.thelostdutchman.net

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Replies

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

"GLAD YOU FINALLY ADMIT THEY ARE A HOAX, AND THAT YOU HAVE SENT A BUNCH OF FOLKS ON WILD GOOSE CHASES OVER YOU SILLY THEORIES. BUT HECK, FORUM MEMBERS HAVE KNOWN THAT FOR A LONG TIME NOW. NO NEED TO FESS UP ...WE ALREADY KNOW."

Peter has followed me around with his B.S. for years now. The two of you have never said a word about his constant attacks. If I stick to the subject and make a comment to someone else...there comes Peter to personally attack me again.

Not only is the man a jealous bully, he is stupid. I have never said the Stone Maps were a hoax. He can't read simple English and yet he speaks for the two of you and most of the Forum as well.

The real problem has always been that no one wants to speak up. Seeing what happens when I do, may be the reason behind that lack of backbone.

Matthew you are judged by the friends you keep, as well as the things you accomplish in life. Will you be robbing graves, creating clues in the Superstitions and putting your friends in jail next? Why start down that road, when history has pre-warned you?

You have both given up your sources on me by being too clever. I would be more than happy to return to the topics. Right now.....Peter and I are the topic, "Pretty slick set up don't you think ?" If Peter doesn't like what I say about any given topic, he could just shut-up. I can guarantee I won't be following him around like a puppy.

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

www.thelostdutchman.net

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Yep, me to.....
JIM HAMRICK
Part Timer

Walter Gassler Mystery

Post by JIM HAMRICK »

Back to name calling?

There has been a lot of info in the posts lately and I have enjoyed this as my main interest is in the history of the area. Due to my age and condition I do not think that I would find one of the lost mines (unless it was in a few hundred feet of a roadway) so I am not a seeker but I do enjoy the various ideas of you who are.

I think that many of you have a love-hate relationship with the Superstition and other seekers. Every time good information is posted some of you start the "anti" posts again. Having been a member for several years I still do not know whether I am keeping company with madmen or just have not been initiated into the inner circle of the good-old-boys club. Come on, lets keep the good information coming and the slurs to another thread.

Jim Hamrick
buscar
Part Timer

Are You Listening?

Post by buscar »

Are You Listening?

As I trudge though updating myself on this site, I realize that life's to important to be blowing it away by reading stupidity.

Yes…a few of you have done your best to promote some craziness throughout this forum. You make me shake my head at you, because you do not show good sense at managing matters and dealing with problems and difficulties.

Your reacts under these sets of conditions have set the foundation for what this forum has become. :(

The good news is, you still have time for a complete makeover, so please organize and share something worth reading.

Keep in mind regarding the worth of this forum, that will determine its outcome:

“United We Stand Divided We Fall.”

Are You Listening?

We think you should be.

buscar 8O
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Listening?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jim and Lawrence,

I am listening.

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walker12
Part Timer

Post by walker12 »

"The real problem has always been that no one wants to speak up. Seeing what happens when I do, may be the reason behind that lack of backbone."

Joe's comment is certainly is one take. Another, and the one I subscibe to, is there is nothing to be gained from arguing with an idiot. As the saying goes, and you two have proven, the idiot will drag you down to their level. Perhaps this is why Yahoo message boards have an ignore feature. :o

This whole thing reminds me of preschoolers doing a series of "You are a . . . " / "No I am not, you are . . ." comments. At least one of you are better than that. I will leave it for you two and your further posts to prove me right or wrong in this assesment.
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

id just like to add a few thoughts, members seem to be dodging, evading and ignoring the main issue.while purporting to dislike the petty bickering,and commenting in a vague way regarding this i.e "no one person is to blame",well i have to say there IS only ONE person to blame,that is as plain as a pikestaff! its been going on now for as long as i can remember, and in the main the membership has been willing to allow the villification of 1 member in particular.the hoots of derision will only be stopped if EVERYONE makes a stand against it,and states what he thinks without hiding behind vague platitudes and hypocritical stances. joe (although he can be argumentative at times,as ive found out to my cost :lol: ) has given more in the way of information and rational thought to the subject than the rest of you lot put together,it would be a bad day for this forum if joe ever thought "whats the point any more?" and packed his bags and left this forum.(even though 1 member would no doubt be "over the moon").this forum ,like any other is intended for discussion,not blind adherence to 1 persons opinions.....and if theorists cant bear for their theories to be tested and questioned without losing their temper,then they shouldnt offer them on a public forum. now ill leave the protaganists to argue and the onlookers to sit idly by and whine privately but say nothing publicly. adieu
Don update your email address
LDM
Part Timer

The Walter Gassler Mystery

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

OK

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Matthew,

You are correct.

Perhaps you should direct your comments to your friend and partner. It would be easy to go back through any number of topics and show my comments on the subjects, followed by Peter's personal attacks.

Not sure I have ever done that to him, but I may be wrong.

Don is on the money with his comments. When I try to stick to the subject, I get your friends relentless attacks and vauge threats. You can speak to all of us, but have nothing to say to Peter. Thus it continues.

If you read back through this thread, and others, you will see where this all comes from. That assumes you are not blinded by your friendship.

I will now return to the topic......again.

TGH
Expert

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All

LDM has been kind enough to share some interesting, insightful knowledge with you all. He didnt give any secrets away, but this thread has touched upon some of the most compelling theories and evidence relating to modern Dutch Hunter thinking. No silly Stone or Pefil Maps, no innane theories, just solid facts and annecdotes relating to an interesting location in the mountains. And only the tip top of the iceberg......

Before you all grab a pick and shovel and head up to that tree grove on Peters Mesa, might be best to get up to that country and scout things out a bit. Then you guys will see why the majority of Dutch Hunters, after looking that area over said to themselves "Nah, its probably on Bluff Springs Mtn, or Coffee Flat, or West Boulder or my own backyard....it CANT be here."

Youll see.............

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:44 pm Post subject: Was He Right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg,

You have posted a lot lately. That's a good thing.

Just wondering how many people feel that Gassler was right in his conclusions. What about you.......Do you have an opinion?

For those who will jump on this question, as ol' Joe fishing for clues, I will repeat myself, just to make it clear.

While I am interested in the LDM and have gathered a lot of information on it, I have never looked for Jacob's mine. I still believe it has been found at some time in the past, assuming he ever had a mine, and is a worked-out pit now.

If Walt Gassler found it, or was close to finding it, the truth will eventually come out.

What's the concensus......Was he right?

Joe Ribaudo

TGH
Expert

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:48 pm Post subject:

>>You have posted a lot lately. That's a good thing. <<

Maybe Greg was posting because the Forum MORON wasnt............

Far-fetched I know, but the brief respite from your constant BS did seem to have the Forum thriving in your absence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Ribaudo
krf
Greenhorn

Re: The Walter Gassler Mystery

Post by krf »

LDM wrote:The name of this thread and it's intended topic is the Walter Gassler Mystery. It was started and contributed to by members who would like to discuss that topic.

For those who would like to discuss the problems of the forum and problems with other people on the forum , would you please take your discussions and start a new thread so that anyone interested could contribute their views to that topic ?

Posting off topic posts just tends to sidetrack the intended discussion and causes members interested in the Gassler Mystery to feel the thread is being hijacked.

It's a simple matter to just start a new thread and it shows respect for the members who wish to continue with the intended topic of this thread.

Again, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes or control the forum, just making a suggestion that I beileve is respectful and in everyone's best interest.

Matthew K. Roberts
LDM

Matthew K. Roberts,

I cannot speak for anyone else, but looking back through the forum and observing what’s been going on here, I form the opinion that from my point of view your concerns for everyone’s best interest appear to be less than genuine when you have sat silently on the side through all the rants and ravings from your own camp (probably cheering them on in the background as you play GOOD COP/BAD COP out in the open) for the last couple of years. Could your sudden concern with everyone’s best interest be more self-serving than in everyone’s best interest?

If you could set an example by cleaning up your camp, and reprimanding your own partners for their behavior the rest of us might take your comments a little more seriously.

Just my humble opinion of what is best for everyone’s best interests.

With all due respect,

krf
LDM
Part Timer

Walter Gassler mystery.

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I think it should be noted he believed there was more than one mine and spoke of an even richer mine. The LDM per say may not have been his objective at that time.
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

From my take on it, Walter thought the LDM was near that tree grove on the western side of Peters Dome, but thought the Deering/Soldiers mine was in a small boulder choked tributary canyon near the head of Peters Canyon. Walter tended to get his canyons mixed up at times, as I have copies of his topo maps and he has mislabelled several canyons on them.

Also keep in mind that Walter thought the LDM was only a cache in his early days. I beleive he found enough clues relating to mining during his years in that area that he eventually beleived that Waltz did indeed have a mine that he worked.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Never Changing

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mattthew,

As usual, your post gives us all a valuable gift. That gift is your personal knowledge and insight into part of the LDM legend. From our first contact on this Forum you have been very generous to me, and I believe every other member who crossed your path.

It seems unlikely that Walt Gassler was anywhere near the LDM. I have posted why I believe that in an earlier post. Also from an earlier post, it was said that Walt was in a good place.....that being were he was happy.

That applies to most of us, I believe. The search is what most treasure hunters are devoted to.....the puzzle solving or the attempt to solve it.

That describe my own interest in the Stone Maps and the LDM. If anyone were to expose the location of the LDM, it would detract something very valuable to a lot of people, that very special thrill of the search.

Walt had that right up to his last breath. Who could ask for more?

Joe Ribaudo
krf
Greenhorn

Mining Claims on peter's mesa

Post by krf »

As it has been explained to me, there has NEVER been a legitimate "Mining Claim" filed anywhere on Peter's Mesa by ANYONE. At best all anyone could have ever filed would have been a "Prospecting Claim". In order to have a legitimate "Mining Claim" one must make "Discovery" and and actually produce some mineral from it that can be worked at a profit. Anyone that would have met the above described criteria woukd have had no fear of losing their claim under the enforcement of the Wilderness Act.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

krf
It'a ALL in "WHO" you know
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I think there is always confusion for me in the difference between known and unknown claims and the activity and the reality of existing mines in certain areas. The reality of what took place in a particular area 150 years ago in relation to activity over the last 50 years or less, should be one and the same. Instead it is generally conceived that "I have never seen such activity in my lifetime so it does not exist".

I have seen enough that dictates to me there was such activity with a reasonable purpose at certain times. What it means in relation to the present is the big problem. An empty shaft or a well worked prospect exists for a reason. Not knowing the reasoning does not negate its existence.
LDM
Part Timer

mining claims.

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
krf
Greenhorn

Post by krf »

Matthew,

You are partially correct in your statement below:

"There was nothing which precluded Walter from filing the claim papers. It did not mean Walter owned a claim or owned the land or even had a mineral deposit, all it meant was he was the legal holder of that specific piece of ground and no one else could claim it while he went through the process of having his claim verified"

If that were true, how do you explain the fact that so many people got away with filing claims over the top of each other on the Mesa? Until someone completes the process of validation anyone can file on the same property.

Although there is no such thing as an OFFICIAL Prospecting Claim, that is all the BLM considers a mining Claim to be until someone makes and files "Discovery" and it is verified.

They will allow an unlimited number of individuals to file the paperwork for a Mining Claim on the very same property (it helps their budget) but until someone files Discovery and gets their claim validated nobody has
a legitimate Mining Claim. If the 2001st person to file a claim in one area is the first to make Discovery and get it validated, he can then invalidate all previous claims.

Therfore I repeat, There was NEVER a legitimate Mining Claim filed by anyone anywhere on Peter's Mesa. Jacobs, Kenworthy, Gassler, Yourself and whoever else... Nobody could ever get a claim validated up there. I wonder why? It doesn't take a huge amount of mineral to get a claim validated.

krf
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Using Bluff Springs as an example, I do not know of any successful modern claims or activity there. That does not explain the considerable activity in the past and some of the more obvious things that point to those activities. The legitmacy and the public knowledge of such things is always contradicted by the reality of what happened. There are those who will stand by the belief that there was no Spanish or Mexican mining activity of any sort in the Superstition wilderness.

I do not believe someone who spent so much time under the radar would have made those claims, unless there was good reason. By filing those claims Walter Gassler knew he was surfacing into the middle of some serious issues. Again the purpose and reasoning may be lost on us, but I doubt Walter Gassler was cut from the same cloth as the others on Peters Mesa.
LDM
Part Timer

Mining claims.

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:15 am, edited 4 times in total.