Walter Gassler mystery.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Return

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

LDMFAN,

You have not posted in a long, long time. It's a shame you choose this petty bickering as the only thing important enough to comment on.

Having said that, I agree with what you have said, just don't see the need to create another Forum for silliness. I have felt it proper to give some kind of response where it is needed.

I feel it is needed because the constant, unwarranted, personal attacks
are insulting in nature. Left unanswered they become a sign of weakness that will foster attacks by the other like minded or mindless members.

I try to expose how foolish Peter's comments are. Quoting his foolishness and exposing his lies, are done in an effort to turn him to another endeavour.

It don't work!

I have called for a "cease fire" so many times, I am beginning to sound like the U.N. Peter agrees, on occasion, but eventually makes his insulting comments, always of a personal nature.

I understand I have the option of just ignoring him, but that gets harder and harder to do, as he feeds on the silence also.

I will, once again, try to ignore him but feel it is of little consequence to the members to ignore our mindless banter. It takes less than a second to scroll down to the next reply. If you see my name as the poster, or Peters, just ignore the post.

I will try not to get in your way here, and look forward to your posting on something important.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Re: Gassler backpack.

Post by djui5 »

The backpack with the gold ore that was shown to Tom Kollenborn by the mystery man is assumed to be the backpack that the Sheriff's Deputy listed as Walt Gassler's belongings, also seen at the site where Gassler died by Don Shade, and later disapeared.

Matthew K. Roberts
LDM

I don't know, I'm not sure a backpack full of gold would have made it into a Sheriff's Deputy's report. Someone, including possibly the Deputy himself, would have emptied the ore out before making the report. Filing a report of found gold in the supers would cause mass panic and chaos on the trails.

My theory is the Deputy's pack in the report was empty. The gold was picked up by the person who moved Gassler, possibly the one darting in and out of the bushes. This same person wanted the notes, probably in hopes, but possibly with hard factual knowledge, that the notes would lead him/her to the gold from the backpack....

Just a thought.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

Recently a great deal of attention has been paid to stupidity: stupid actions by those that I thought were educated. The “dumb and dumber” syndrome has gone way to far.

Extremely rash thoughtless impetuous behavior will soon destroy the LDM Discussions in this forum.

The fool/buffoon has not been exciting.

You can't fix stupid
Stupid is as stupid does
Stupid as a fence post
They don't come any more stupid
Don't get stuck on "stupid"

If you do not fix in the above, then please stop showing disrespect to the Feldman’s and the other members of this forum.

Such ridiculous behavior often is “deliberately” generated by very smart minds. 8O

Thank you, Randy Wright, for showing good taste, and expert knowledge in changing the fool/buffoon.

Ok boys, lets keep it going in the right direction.

buscar :)
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

We must also remember the time delay between the discovery of Gasslers body and its removal. I would think 3-5 hours at the very least. We could be talking as long as 8-10 hours realistically. Add in the time of death and you have a long time frame and a lot of possibilities of who could of acquired the pack.

I find it odd the pack or ore came into the equation at all. How would Tom know that was Gasslers pack ? Why would you even bring it to his attention ? Kollenborn and Corbin would have been the last 2 people you would want to know in my opinion. The dutch hunters usually hold secrets close and give up very little. As with the Bark notes, they are usually crafty and this seems a bit too forward. Ruths map was acquired supposedly after the remains were found. The fact is whoever it was that wanted Gasslers notes and had no idea where the ore could have come from.
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

That's true. There even may not have been any ore in the pack at all. Too bad the deputy didn't inventory the pack too. Now, we will never know.

Whatever he DID have in the pack did not show the way to anything, otherwise the imposter wouldn't have needed the notes Gassler gave Kollenborn. Either that, or he did kow, and also knew the notes had the same information on them, and didn't want them floating around.

Mike
djui5
Expert

Re: Gasslers back pack.

Post by djui5 »

Good point Randy. Remember though, no one said the backpack was full of gold ore. More probably, there was a good sample of the ore in the back pack. This may have been a few pieces up to a pound or so. (my speculation). It was probably just a part of what was in the back pack overall. I don't think Walt was trying to pack out a fortune in his back pack. He may have just taken enough to show that he had found it ( mine, cache, source ) and for a sample comparison.

The pack was probably noted near the body by the Deputy as they are trained to notice everything laying around that may be a clue to unraveling what happened.

The back pack may have been picked up by someone at the scene, or picked up later at the Sheriff's office by someone posing as Walt's son as the backpack was merely a personal possession and not evidence in any case or investigation or anything like that.

Matthew
LDM
You're right, there was no report of gold being in it. Do you think it's possible that no-one checked inside the pack? That the Deputy filed it away before anyone could get to it? If that's the case, then whoever had the pack would had to have picked it up from the Sheriff's office. Would there be a record of someone signing this pack out? I'd imagine you'd have to sign for it or show ID or something right? Then, also, maybe the Sheriff told this person who had the notes, as they believed it was Walts son and were free with sharing information with this person.

Maybe this person checked out the pack, realized there was gold in it, found out about notes, and went to Tom's house to get the notes that he/she "assumed" would lead them to the source of the gold in the pack.

Or, maybe this person was there all along. Maybe this stranger, who was reported as being seen at the discovery of Walt (was he really?, or did Corbin print that in her book to make the story more interesting?), found out about the notes he/she couldn't retreive from the scene because of the presence of the Deputy and all, stole the pack at some point, and tried to use the gold to get the notes from Tom.

If the pack was listed as being at the scene, and it never made it to Walt's real son, then there should be some point somewhere that it disappeared. Finding that point, I think, would be quite helpful possibly in knowing what happened to it.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

:?:
Last edited by TGH on Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I think the stranger would have taken the pack before putting the body where it was found. Even then, they would have watched what was happening afterwards. I am quite sure they heard the approach and that is why they left the area. Did they know someone in the morgue or a deputy(ex. Jeff adams)that could help them out ? They discovered his body on Friday, so whoever approached Kollenborn took very little time about it only a day or 2. That is according to Corbin. Glover says it was some time later. I would believe Kollenborn or Bob Corbin are her sources. We also have no time frame on when Don Shade found the body I know of. The report says 6 PM and notification was made at 6:46 PM. It seems odd they started out the ride in the heat of the day. They made a lot of dust to get back and call it in within 46 minutes.
Last edited by zentull on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

:?:
Last edited by TGH on Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Correct

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Lawrence,

You are, of course, correct.

My apologies to all.

Respectfullly,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Rumor

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

TGH wrote:Anyone know who was the source of the "gold-in-the-backpack" rumor?
Was it Shade/Corbin/Kollenborn/Walters Family?
This seems to be the most important question. Seems like, other than Walt's death, just another good story. NO evidence.

Respectfully,

Joe
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I think the stranger would have taken the pack before putting the body where it was found.

This sounds great, but then how do you explain the Deputy seeing the pack and putting it into his report? It was in the report right?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Except for the guy with the ore.............trying to put all the pieces together. We could be helping someone out this very minute.

By the way the weather started out very nice early in the week with a high of 80 and low of 54 on the 1st of May 1984.

HI-LO
82-57 May 2nd 1984
87-60 May 3rd 1984
91-63 May 4th 1984 CLEAR AND BREEZY

The weather was actually quite nice when Walt Gassler started his trip.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Randy,

My point was that there may be no relationship between the person seen in the area and the backpack coming up missing. We could have someone who was going to check out the body and got spooked by the approaching riders.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Randy,

My point was that there may be no relationship between the person seen in the area and the backpack coming up missing. We could have someone who was going to check out the body and got spooked by the approaching riders.

Yeah, I think I mis-read your post. I thought you were saying that you thought the stranger did take the backpack....my bad :)

On that note, I agree with you.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Another thought,
What if the gold wasen't taken from the backpack at all? From what I've read, Tom never said the stranger had a backpack, just that he had gold that he "said" came from Walts backpack. The stranger would have known about the backpack because he was at the scene, and probably saw it laying on the ground. Maybe this person just wanted to notes, and made up the gold in the backpack story to get Walts notes.

Maybe Walt never had gold in the first place.

Just a thought, I could be wrong :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Questions

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Matthew,

"Seems like, other than Walt's death, just another good story. NO evidence."

"I don't understand your dismissing this fact and alluding to the whole thing being a good story. What is the point ? It ignores much of what is easily verifiable about this matter."

At this late date in time, we are still trying to figure out what is "fact" in Walt Gassler's death. Other than the fact that he was dead and sitting upright on a rock with half his face (burned?) black, not sure what does not qualify as another good story.

You know more about this subject, as well as most others, than any other person in the discussion. Can you tell us what is factually known, as opposed to what someone has said, with no supporting evidence?

It is indeed a "compelling" story.

There are "official" reports on the case. I would assume that Greg has the entire case file, including the complete autopsy report. :)

I will admit knowing next to nothing about the affair, but what I read in the books and what has been written here, only creates doubt as to the
truthfulness of the whole story.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

Maybe this has been said in the past pages.

As I understand it: Don saw a backpack at the discovery of Gassler. Roland's imposter told Tom that he acquired the backpack from the sheriff's office, but later, when this was checked, the sheriff's office said that there was no backpack.

Also, isn't it true that the imposter believed that Corbin was the only one that had the notes and maps? And that the imposter only came to Tom to ask him if he would get them from Corbin?

Jesse