Walter Gassler mystery.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Chucky

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

All,

Just to clear up something. Charles “Chuck” Kenworthy had spent lots of time in the mountains after 1984. I packed Chuck on his last trip into the mountains with OK Corral Pack Stables in 1996 or 1997. I believe he died in 1998. Chuck had spent all of those years, the time in question, between 1984 and 1996 or 1997 searching, usually in one area but not always. I had helped pack Chuck in for the first time, riding Kollenborn's horse Crow, probably in 1987 with my mother. Chuck was always a good business man and we liked having him as a customer, even with the long haul and large amounts of equipment. Many people had accompanied Chuck during those years. Usually those people were diggers or laborers. Some were educated in some sort of way to help find treasure. Some had special equipment. One man in particular by the name of Lambert Dolphin, was on one of those trips. You might find something on his web-site: http://www.ldolphin.org/mycurr.shtml. Other people were Chuck’s long time partners. Once the Forest Service, I believe under Vandriel, had landed a chopper in his camp and took everything. Chuck took that in stride and continued like nothing happened. Chuck was not lazy at all, but he was secretive until the end when he began to open up to everyone about his beliefs. One of the people that had packed Chuck in before the OK was Arcky Johnston. Arcky told me a story about one of his pack trips with Chuck, probably in the late 1970s. Arcky said that after he had unloaded the pack horses in camp they could not find an item. In the regular "old fashioned" way Arcky rode out, and that night came back with the missing item, as Chuck had instructed him to do. I forgot what the missing item was, but it was not that important. On another trip, about 1990, the guide packing Chuck and his supplies out had problems with his mule. The mule had a reputation for being mean and had become violent. The guide believed the mule was going to kill him that moment so he shot the mule dead. A mule will attack a person until he is dead. Horses on the other hand, at least the ones that I have been around, will not repeat attacks, and they will flee a situation. Later we had heard that Chuck was white as a ghost during the event and thought that the guide was going to kill him if he had said one word for the rest of the way out of the mountains. Chuck was always in control and not scared of things, however, what he experienced that day was above his comfort zone. On a later trip I had packed Chuck to a new location in early October. When I came back to get them I found that one on Chuck’s partners had been bit badly by those little gnats that literally cover the underside of a black cowboy hat. The man was weak, bloody, and dehydrated so bad that he could have died that night. I barely got him out of the mountains. He spent three days in the hospital to recover. I never found out why everyone else in camp had not been affected the same way. One thing is for sure, Chuck gave it all he could up until the end. Diabetes is what took his life I suspect.

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good History

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

That was a great piece of Superstition History. Thank you.

On the other hand :) , you did not make me feel any better, as I found out a few months ago that I had Diabetes. :(

Take care,

Joe
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

And just how did your rambling diatribe answer my points?
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Careful with the diabetes thing...my father died from it....nasty disease it is.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Careful with the diabetes thing...my father died from it....nasty disease it is.
Yeah, sorry to hear about this Joe. Bad stuff. My wifes mom has it, and it's taking it's toll on her... Just watch what you eat, and take it easy with those biscuits and gravy
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Thanks

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy and Peter,

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Point?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

I thought your point was that I had no point in my comment.

What were your "points"?

"For me, the point was that in 48 years, since I made my first trip into the Superstitions, I have never met the fool that carried ore into the Superstitions in a backpack."

I thought the point that you and others were making was that it did not seem that unusual. For me, not only was it unusual, it was non-existant.

I thought the 48 years of practical experience and the number of folks that I have met in that period would have some relevance. Perhaps that was a bit of an overeach on my part.

Joe Ribaudo
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

Sorry to hear that Joe.

If it is any relief or consolation, Chuck had diabetes as long as I knew him. He probably did not have the best personallity for that disease. He always seemed to wound, worried, and on the go. My grandmother who is 84 has had it since she was about 40. Of course everyone is different in how they take care of themselves. From what I have seen the most careful people do the best. I had a great uncle with diabetes that died because he thought he needed to take a bunion off of his foot. The incision never healed, and it got infected, etc, etc.

It is finally raining! No it isn't. Yes it is. No, yes................

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Taking Care

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thanks Jesse,

I am doing pretty well..loosing some weight....no sugar and if it weren't for my spine and shoulders, I would be doing some exercises. I am in such a Catch-22 you would not believe it.

That's the main reason I used to walk out of the mountains now and then.
Getting old is not for sissies. :lol:

My best to you and the family,

Joe
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

>>I thought the 48 years of practical experience and the number of folks that I have met in that period would have some relevance. Perhaps that was a bit of an overeach on my part. <<

Thats EXACTLY my point. Your 48 years of practical experience are COMPLETELY irrelevant in this case.
kk
Greenhorn

Post by kk »

Getting back to Gassler. Does anyone know how many ore samples he was carrying in his backpack? Or the size and weight of the samples?
If he had just a couple and if they weren't unusually large or heavy, I could see him carrying them around with him.
Maybe they held sentimental value or what he felt was his "lucky charm."
kk
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

kk

My understanding of the samples that Gassler carried was "a few" or "a handfull".

To me that would mean 2-3-4-5 smallish pieces.

P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Relevant

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

I see.....Your "understanding" is relevant. :lol:

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Correct.

Glad to see you are taking my my advice and trying (though not ALWAYS succeeding) to cut down on the length and number of postings. Better that way as this in turn will prevent unwanted eye-rolling, giggling and twitching amongst the gentle readers of this Forum.

Walter Gassler would bring in ore samples with him to match up with veins if he ever ran into one. Other folks have done the same.

Whether or not your 48 years of hands-on experience leads you to the same conclusion is irrelevant. Speaking of which..........

Must be rough going from being a King to being pretty much irrelevant...isnt it?
kk
Greenhorn

Post by kk »

P
Thanks. Then, I don’t think there is anything “unusual” about carrying around the samples. And I don’t think any person who does, would be considered a “fool”. I bet over the years a lot stranger things than ore samples have been carried into the mountains in people’s backpacks!
kk
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

kk

Sometimes it's not what people say....but the WAY it is said. Some folks will never understand that.

You should see some of the stuff I carry around in there....you'd really think I was nuts.

And I agree, carrying an ore sample would not be so unusual or "foolish".
In fact...some folks think ore was never taken OUT of the mountains.

Someone who thinks that IS a fool.

P
kk
Greenhorn

Post by kk »

P
I understand…no ore taken out of the mountains. LOL
(Hey, am I someone's sis? Didn't think I was related to anyone here.)
kk
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Yeah I didnt realize we were siblings until today. I guess thats the next logical step...if we are NOT the same person...then it stands to reason (if the person reasoning like this is crazy) that we are close family members OUT TO GET JOE.

Couldnt POSSIBLY be that we are people who have an interest in the mountains and this Forum and are on the same wavelength as far as dealing with nutballs......nah, couldnt be...that would mean that more than one person would think that the Forum nutball is.....a nutball. lol
walker12
Part Timer

Re: Good History

Post by walker12 »

[quote="Joe Ribaudo"]Jesse,

That was a great piece of Superstition History. Thank you.

On the other hand :) , you did not make me feel any better, as I found out a few months ago that I had Diabetes. :(

Take care,

Joe[/quote]

FWIW a couple friends of mine got the diabetes diagnosis a couple of years ago. Both claim a book "How to Prevent Control & Cure Diabetes" by Alterman really helped them.

Best wishes.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Right

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter/kk.

In the past, I have offered to have the webmaster divulge every name I have ever used on this Forum. You have not, and it's no real surprise.

I see you figured out how to get both of the identities on the same subject at the same time. That took awhile. :lol:

You also declined to post on the moderated Forum where I could see your IPs and a list of all the names you had used. kk said she did not feel the need to prove anything, and yet you both spend a great deal of time on claiming that Peter is not kk.

Actually I don't believe you are the same person. kk seems to have some shame, which would be her/his reason for not exposing the truth.

Peter, on the other hand, has no idea what shame is. In that regard he is exactly the same as Wyatt, Jan, Ward.......etc.

I assume that since you have finally figured out how both of you can be on the same topic at the same time, you have also figured out how easy it would be to post on the moderated forum, without showing all your other game players.

Actually, Peter is related to no one. He has no relatives. Thought it best not to put that in Jicarrila Apache, so you will understand the insult. :lol:

It's been fun.

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Now, now, dont be getting cranky on us and having a relapse.....you really were doing pretty well there with your therapy for a while.

Take a deep breath, rub your sheriffs badge and think pleasant thoughts about the Stone Maps.

Everything will be ok..............
kk
Greenhorn

why?

Post by kk »

Actually, I’d like to know why Joe wants so badly to know my identity. Internet 101, that every child learns, is that you DO NOT divulge personal info to strangers on the internet.. in chat rooms or on discussion boards. Name and address should surely fit that bill. Some people choose to divulge this info about themselves..I however do not wish to reveal my name or address on the internet. But, that seems to bother someone. Why???
I really don’t think I need to explain myself, to that person or anyone else but here goes. I am just a woman who is interested in “The Lost Dutchman Legend.” I found this site several years ago while doing an internet search. I have only posted under the name kk…although in the old forum, I may have posted under anonymous a few times. I have been reading and enjoying this site for along time.
I have even enjoyed some of Joe’s postings in the past. They’ve even given me a good chuckle now and then.
I’ve also seen very childish postings, that are uncalled for and I will have no part of. The Jan episode was a prime example.
But, I have also seen arrogance and insults. That is why I choose not to post on here very often. But even by me logging on to this site and choosing not to post bothers Joe. He actually started me posting again after continually accusing me of being Peter.
And when I do choose to post or try to ask questions…Joe wants to know who I am. Is he paranoid?
How many of you received a pm from one of his friends, Buck (who appeared here…then disappeared from this site after he sent his money to Joe for the rendezvous.) I received two of them After posting in the “forum code of conduct” where I told Joe I was not Peter. First one said “Hi! How are you? Where are you located?
Second one was “Why are you not interested in participating (in the rendezvous) this year? It seems as though there are some issues on here between some people. Why is that?
I am not a major participant ..so, why would someone ask me what the issues on this forum are about.
Unless, that person was someone who was paranoid and on a fishing trip….where I live and why I don’t want to go to the rendezvous were strange questions to me. Any Ideas why someone would want that info?
I may be blonde..but, after responding to those pm’s the way someone with a big ego would like to hear, I have thankfully not been mentioned on the forum or received
anymore pm’s from Buck.
I hadn’t even been accused of being Peter…until, I posted a question about the samples in the backpack. Again, Joe doesn’t know my identity and it makes him paranoid. Why? Should I be paranoid of him?
kk
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Right

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

kk,

Just for the record, you were the first one to start insulting me. I would go back to your "childish" posts and drag them here, but you would just go into your little song and dance routine again.

Also, for the record, I don't give a crap who you are. I did not ask you to give me any personal information. The only thing I would get from your posting in that forum, would be the names of all the other names that posted from the same IP. For me, I would have no idea what to do with an IP.

If you don't like my posts.....don't read them. You and Mr. Genius, just can't figure that out. If you say something stupid to me, and I respond, also stupid, just ignore me.

Steve once told me he had never known a woman who was interested in the LDM legend. That made two of us. Good for you....proved us both wrong.

I have been accused of being any number of members on this Forum.
This is a first for me being "Buck". That's a bone you and Peter will be able to chew on for months. I have no idea who he is.

Here is my offer for the umpteenth time. I give the webmaster my permission to reveal to anyone, or post on this forum, any other name I have ever used here. This is where you guys start dancing again.

If there was ever a forum that needed to be moderated, it's this one. I could get along just fine. It would drive others crazy. :) Actually, if I keep responding to you assholes long enough, it will probably happen.
Peter would then have to start his own site, just so he would have the freedom to tell everyone how smart he is and how stupid everyone else is.

Joe Ribaudo

Naana dii da, Peter. Let's see if we can make it happen. :)
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

kk

You're a blondie??? Nice.............lol

With His Highness its all about control. He thinks hes losing control of the Rendezvous he throws a tantrum and whines to everyone that hes not going.

He thinks hes losing control of the Forum he whines to have it moderated...no matter that we already have TWO moderated forums that no one posts in...he wont be happy until he has us all under his thumb again.

You realize what this lunatic is up to, so he singles you out for special treatment. The man is INSANE. Literally......Him having control of this Forum is his LIFE........now that folks are actually talking about the history of the LDM and various episodes in the mountains, he cant stand to be on the outside looking in.

Not quite sure, if he needs a moderated forum so badly, why he isnt posting interesting things IN the moderated Forums. Must like torturing us I guess............
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Joe,
Just to let you know, if someone is on dial up, their IP address changes everytime they log in. If they are on cable access it might change every couple months or so. That is my understanding anyway. You have to pay extra to have a "static IP address" that never changes.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari