Adolph Ruth, the mystery.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

"Barkley,owner of 3 ranches in this very range, has ridden over the ridges and through the canyons most of his life while running his cattle. But never before has he gone into such an impassable and waterless region such as this. Cattle do not venture into the area at anytime."

Erwin Ruth

The paragraphs that follows this gives a better picture of where they were searching. Obviously not where Ruth told Keenan and Purcell where he would search or the Willow springs area. What drove Barkley, Adams and the others to this region? They found signs of Ruths presence there it is noted.
novice
Expert

Discovery of Ruth Remains

Post by novice »

The accounts used to relate the Adolph Ruth story seem to come primarily from newspapers? I know there were stories, rumors, etc. that have been passed down also but I will set those aside presently. Bark, Ely, Glover, Corbin, Blair, etc. seem to have gotten their information from newspaper accounts. Corbin does provide the letter that Jeff Adams wrote to Hayden, which is the only "document" I have seen. (Unless you count Ruth's Death certificate.)

Has anyone every tried to research any of the records thru the Maricopa Sheriffs Office? Would any of the official Ruth files still exist and if they did would they be available for public researching?

Also does anyone have a source on the date when the remains of Ruth were found? Corbin has a photo credited to E. D. Newcomer on January 6, 1932 that shows the Ruth remains found by Jeff and Tex. The newspapers don't appear to have picked up the story until January 9, 1932? Corbin also gives the date of the discovery of the remains as January 8 but from the Jeff Adams letter, he relates that after finding and assembling the bones they spent two more days searching to the LDM?

Is the date on the photo correct? Where was the photo taken? Was it staged? Were Jeff and Tex the only people in the search party or was E. D. Newcomer there and possibly others also?

Newcomer was with Brownie's party when the skull was found and if he were with Adams and Barkley when the remains were found, it would cast a different light on the story for me.

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Who Has The Goods?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

I should think that if anyone had that information, It would be Greg Davis.
He is flying a lot right now, but perhaps he will find the time to let you know if he has those files.

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I believe the remains were taken out after Tex and Jeff Adams reported their discovery. McFadden, Newcomer and others went back with them to gather the remains. I can't find where I saw that, I believe it was a news article, but there was a lapse between the discovery and the pictures.

Erwin Ruth gives a separate report of everything up until the December expedition which relates some of the search areas.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I meant to add that I believe I have seen 3 different versions of Adolph Ruths journal entry before. I don't know if it is a composite of the 3 or we have never seen the actual journal entry at all........
novice
Expert

Confusion!

Post by novice »

It's surprising to me how the basics of the Ruth story can become so convoluted in such a short time.

1. How was the body of Ruth identified?

Ely writes after the skull was discovered; "the skull was thereafter expressed to Erwin Ruth, who had by that time returned to Washington. Upon examination by Adolph Ruth's dentist, it was identified positively as the skull of the hapless seeker of the Peralta mine."

Blair (He footnotes the January 9, 1931, Phoenix Gazette) "Full upper and lower dentures, as well as the missing mandible of the skull were also discovered, removing any doubt the remains were in fact those of Mr. Ruth.

This was about 6 months after the Ely event?

2. Was the silver plate ever found?

Ely; "Among the scattered bones was the silver surgical plate."

Blair; "The bones of the hands and feet, and the shoes, were never found, nor could the plate from the leg fracture."

3. Where did Ruth enter the mountains from?

Ely; (According to Barkley) "he added that the preferable route was the trail up Willow Canyon, the mouth of which was only a mile from the ranch. This trail led to the summit overlooking Weaver's Needle and thence down into West Boulder. The pool would be only a quarter of a mile or so down the canyon from the summit."

According to Kollenborn, Willow Canyon had it's name changed to Peralta Canyon in 1937 by the Dons.

It's pretty clear how Ely thought Ruth entered the mountains. Was this simply from his experience in the same area or had Tex really related that to him? Should this be dismissed because it apparently isn't a feasible trail anymore?

The questions Knun had were the same ones I would ask. What scenario do we have to come up with to make the logistics work for Ruth to have entered from First Water? Traveling to First Water by 6:30 A. M. obtaining pack animals, loading the gear on the animals, and reaching Willow Springs by 10:00.

Just another note that I found interesting; According to Blair, when Ruth's remains were found there were also a prospectors pick with it's painted point unmarred. an unfired pistol, his check book and a government topographic map. (I believe Blair later identified the map as the 1902 Florence Quadrangle Map)

Seems kind of strange things to pack with a dead body unless they were a lot smarter than I thought.

Would this have been the map that Barkely and Adams used to look for the LDM after finding the remains? If so it would indicate that Ruth had marked up a topo of where he intended to search?

I haven't seen any speculation on when the body was moved but wouldn't it have gotten ripe pretty quick? Not the kind of thing I would want to undertake. I would prefer the scenario that he was taken to the remains site and shot! I haven't dismissed the official story either!

Confused, Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Confusion

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

I believe you are moving in the right direction here. That would be any way that moves you away from the "official" story.

As you read Ely, you might want to note where he says the bones were found. He mentions that area twice. I am at the store, so using a poor memory of what I have read.

I have said many times over the years, that I don't believe that Ruth went to First Water to make his trip into Willow Spring. While discussing that with a local expert, he told me he had gone to someone who knew Tex very well, and that Tex had sworn that was how it happened.

I believe "over the mountain" is an important phrase in this story.
"Overlooking Weaver's Needle" is another important clue, hinting at the truth. Ely's words concerning the "ridge" where Ruth's remains were found may be another hint. Ruth's letter to his wife is another indication of how he entered the mountains.

At the very least, the whole story raises some questions that have never been answered.

Joe Ribaudo
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The upper and lower dentures are clearly visible in one of the remains photos. As is the revolver, hat, backpack, thermos, pick, flashlight and what could be a wallet or a checkbook. The black and white photo would make the plate difficult to pick out.

There has always been the differing lists of missing items. As far as the shoes are concerned I believe it may be artistic conjecture on the story tellers part. We do know he left behind his boots and was wearing light walking shoes. I believe this is misinterpreted as he was missing his shoes. Barry Storm reports a number of missing things that are clearly identified in the pictures.

It should be noted also that among the D.E. Newcomer pictures Tex is wearing different clothes.
novice
Expert

Timeline

Post by novice »

Zentull,

If you run across the reference about Newcomer and McFadden returning with Adams and Barkley after discovery of the Ruth remains, I would be interested! It might shed some light on the timeline. I would also like your take on the chronology.

?????????????????????????????????????

January 8, 1932 - Barkley and Adams discover the remains and come out of the mountains

January 8, 1932 - They return with McFadden and Newcomer to the site and gather everything up and Newcomer takes his photos on site.

January 9, 1932 – The story hits the newspapers.

January 9, 1932 – Adams and Barkley take Ruth's topo map and return to the mountains. They spend two days following it to Ruth's LDM and find nothing.

I suspect you can improve on this. This predicates the discovery date of January 8 (Corbin) This scenario also makes the January 6 date on Newcomer's photo incorrect?

Joe,

To tell you the truth I haven't found anything terribly compelling to cause me to dismiss the official story. It seems the strongest arguments are the holes in the skull and the unlikelihood of Ruth being able to cover 6 miles in rough country. I would like to hear other improbables!

We have statements that Ruth was in poor health and walked with a limp because of his previous injury. I know he was 66 but that doesn't translate into poor health by my standards. I would like a little more substance. Was he on medications, did he have heart trouble, etc.?

As far as walking with a limp and using a cane, that alone doesn't paint a picture for me as to what his hiking capabilities were. He might go slower, but he still might be able to go a long way.

As far as the two holes in the skull, I haven't spent a lot of time pondering that.

To come up with a conspiracy, I need to begin to cast aspersions on Barkley, Adams, Purnell, Keenan, the Sheriff's Office and so on.

I'm just not as far down the road as most of you are.

Garry

P. S. I'm probably the last person in the world that believes Lee Harvey Oswald most likely acted alone! Also Billy the Kid was killed by Pat Garrett, Jesse James was killed by Bob Ford, John Wilkes Booth never got out of the barn in Maryland, Bush didn't plant explosives in the World Towers, We did land on the moon, etc. etc.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The story I always got was that Tex and Adams found the remains and looked around before reporting it. They may have followed the map at that time or attempted to back track Ruth's possible route for clues. That is possibly why we occasionally get the 6th date. On the 8th Barkley and Adams returned with everyone for the remains and pictures were taken. They would have returned for the remains on the 7th if they left immediately....I seriously doubt they would have been able to bring the whole group back on the same day. Corbin states that by January 8th the remains were found.......with all the personal effects intact.

The fact remains this area had little to do with previous search areas. All accounts point to the searches during the summer taking place elsewhere.
We have little to no accounts on the fall searches.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Should also be noted that Erwin Ruths manuscript of October 15 1931 predates all other sources except some newspaper articles.
eldorado
Part Timer

Ruth

Post by eldorado »

Maybe none of it really matters. Everybody is dead anyway.

The Gold was just moved from one hole in the ground to another.

E.
djui5
Expert

Re: Ruth

Post by djui5 »

The Gold was just moved from one hole in the ground to another.
E.
Well, maybe it dosen't matter to some, but I think it matters to some others. I certaintly find it facinating, trying to figure out what happened, and speculation on imagined scenarios. Maybe I'm just too bored? :)

You say the gold was moved from one hole to another...this got me thinking...

aahhhh ha. The gold was taken out of a hole in the Superstitions, sold to someone in NY, and buried in another hole there...

8O
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Deleated Posts

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

E,

That post you just deleated was pretty interesting. Why don't you tell us the story of the gold that is buried under New York City? Would that have been under Manhattan by any chance?

Is it still there, or was it removed by the Irish.....? As long as you aren't using the "Rim of Christendom" for a source, we should all be interested. :)

Joe Ribaudo
novice
Expert

Adams and McGee

Post by novice »

I am trying to run down some background information on deputies Jeff Adams and Chester McGee and I found what I believe to be their death certificates. "Peace Officer" was the occupation listed for both so I think I have the right individuals. I also found some census information for both.

Jefferson Davis Adams was born December 1, 1861 in Texas. On his death certificate, along with peace officer, his other occupation was cattleman. One of the interesting things for me was Jeff's age. When conducting the search for Ruth. He was 69 and if the photo of he and Tex coming out of the mountains was taken on their winter trip he had just turned 70. Jeff died November 14, 1934, about 3 years after the Ruth search.

I do have a couple of questions regarding Adams' activities.

Zentull, you wrote "Remember also that Tex and future Sheriff Jeff Adams were together not only upon the discovery of Ruth's remains, but the last known public searches in July. It was just a couple of months later the expedition that would be led by Brownie Holmes began organizing. Jeff Adams was part of this group as well. It is interesting that this was reportedly a scientific expedition and a search party jointly. Tex, the expert on these matters was absent from the list of the party."

I believe I saw the reference that Jeff became the sheriff later also. Now, because of the timing of his death and his age, that seems somewhat unlikely to me?

The archeological expedition didn't end up with Jeff Adams being included and I also had never seen it suggested that the group was anything other that an archeological expedition (search party jointly?)

Can you shed further light on these nuisance issues?

Chester Franklin McGee was born December 27, 1883 in Traver, California. He was much younger than Jeff and he died May 25, 1933 in Florence. (Just over 49 years of age)

Within 3 years after the Ruth search both Adams and McGee were dead. Perhaps their activities in the Ruth search hastened both of their deaths? More of the Dutchman curse?

LDM, you wrote "Maricopa County deputy, Chester McGee, was assigned to head the official search and investigation of the disappearance of Mr. Ruth in June of 1931. However, deputy Adams, who was a close friend of Tex Barkley, took over the search after Mr. Ruth's skull was found and deputy McGee was inexplanably assigned other duties and kept away from the investigation after 6 months of coordinating the search and gathering evidence."

From the limited access to the newspaper articles (Corbin's books) I have, along with the census and death certificate information, it appears to me that Chester may have been serving as a deputy from Pinal County? All of the documents I have found, relating to Chester, show him in Pinal County.

From the Mesa Journal Tribune, June 29, 1931 they relate part of the search.
Led by a Mexican tracker Gabriel Robles, five deputies searched the mountains under a scorching sun but found not a trace of Ruth.

Chester McGee in charge of the deputies, returned to Florence last night, his clothes torn and his face and arms scratched by mesquite and desert bushes encountered in searching the canyons for the missing prospector. McGee will return to Superstition early today to resume the search, he said last night.
It appears to me that the initial search may have been headed up by Pinal County authorities but later Maricopa County took the lead on the investigation?

Any additional information or document references would be appreciated! Maybe I'll get to Arizona one of these winters.

Garry
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

On September 2nd 1931 this was the list of participants involved in the "Superstition Mountain Exploration Expedition Inc." per a letter from Charles A. Morgan

Odd Halseth Director of Research
Clarence L. Petty Director General
C.R. Tibbets Metallurgist
William Miller Radio and Motion picture engineer
Jeff Adams Guide
George Holmes Guide
Charles M. Morgan Public Relations

Also on the trip:
D.E. Newcomer Photographer
Harvey Mott Az Republic Staff writer
Richie Lewis with hound Music Guide
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Why would you need a PR rep and "music guide"?

Seems fishy..
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dog Days

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

"Music Guide" was the dog.

Joe Ribaudo
eldorado
Part Timer

Ruth

Post by eldorado »

Mr. Ribaudo

Wonder if Randy would ask the question?

He will need a shovel.

E.
Last edited by eldorado on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

just like to remark that theres another viewpoint out there...i.e ruth met his death by natural causes,or at worst by causes unknown.its a mistake to accept that theres irrefutable evidence that gentleman was murdered..there isnt..its conjecture,...thats not to say it isnt possible,but its by no means established fact.
Don update your email address
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Randy,

Richie Lewis was a guide and Music was the hound who found the Ruth skull. There has been no conspiracy to date concerning the dogs involvement and his whereabouts when Ruth went missing. There is no truth to the rumour that Music shortly thereafter moved to Antigua and led a very long and happy life.

There is also the very real possibility indicating that there was possibly film and audio done during the expedition as well as photography.

Greg Davis may have some answers concerning that last statement.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

wow, I feel like an idiot, I knew about Music too :lol: silly me...
There is also the very real possibility indicating that there was possibly film and audio done during the expedition as well as photography.
interesting...thanks :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
novice
Expert

Maricopa or Pinal?

Post by novice »

Zentull,

Thanks for the reference! Now who was Charles A. Morgan? :)

I was taking my information on who the members of the party were from the article in the Arizona Republic. December 13, 1931.

They wrote;
The archeological investigations of the party were conducted by Mr. Halseth.

Members of the party included E. D. Newcomer, Phoenix Gazette staff photographer, and Harvey J. Mott, staff writer of the Arizona Republic.

Guides for the party were George "Brownie" Holmes, veteran explorer and guide in the Superstitions, and Richie Lewis famous rider and now operator of the Tempe Riding academy.

An 11 horse pack train was required to transport the party over the almost phantom trails of the mountains which brood over the east end of the Salt River valley.
Also in Helen Corbin's Book "The BIBLE" she writes "The group consisted of E. D. Newcomer, Phoenix Gazette staff photographer, Brownie Holmes, Guide for the expedition, Harvey L. Mott, Arizona Republic literary editor, Richie Lewis owner of the horses and dogs used, and Odd S. Halseth, archaeologist."

I had never considered that there might have been others on the trip. Are there any references that Jeff Adams actually ended up going on the trip?

Dr. Glover states that Brownie said that "black and tan hounds had been brought along to hunt mountain lions." This might also suggest a dual purpose of the expedition, at least from the Holmes and Lewis viewpoint.

I'm finding it difficult to ferret out the responsibilities between the Pinal County and Maricopa County authorities. I was dead wrong when I suggested that the Maricopa officials assumed responsibility after the skull was found! The Pinal County authorities were still very much involved according to Dr. Glover. (I should have reread that account before posting!)

Dr. Glover writes; "The official verdict of the Pinal County Sheriff's Office on Adolph Ruth's death, however, was death from exposure and dehydration................According to Amos Hawkins, the sheriff, there was no evidence of criminal activity,......................."

Since the Pinal County "Official Verdict" is rather detailed, it might account for the lack of documentation or necessity thereof in Maricopa County? I would love to see the actual document. It appears to include a rather detailed description of where the body was found also?

It sounds to me like Pinal County may have been the focal point for the final investigation? Where did the remains end up before being turned over to Erwin? Florence or Phoenix?

Perhaps I'm making a little bit of progress?

Garry
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I believe it was Tex who suggested that Brownie lead the group. That could mean that Tex and Jeff Adams would have been the guides perhaps when the idea of the expedition was broached. After Tex had bailed, Adams may have done so as well at a later date. It is interesting that though Ruth was found in Pinal county it was the Maricopa group who were dispatched to locate the body and remove it. Could just be political though to win points with the public......
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

No Love Lost

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

It is fairly well known in "official" circles, that Maricopa and Pinal Counties don't get along very well. It's been that way for years and nothing has changed today.

Neither side ever wanted to take responsibility for what went on in the Superstitions, especially if it happened close to the boundry line. That may very well be why the body was found so close to that line.

Once again, Greg Davis probably has the information you're looking for.

Joe Ribaudo