Adolph Ruth, the mystery.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Wild stuff. Someone was confused about something somewhere...

Maybe when they whistled, it caused Ruth's head to roll uphill? Just a thought.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
novice
Expert

Devil's Advocated

Post by novice »

Wayne,

I’ll play but you need to help me out with the article and passage where Mott confused First Water and Second Water?

I believe the Newcomer photo was taken on the return trip from Charlebois, the next day (from the shadows). I would love to post the uncropped picture but I can’t get my scanner going. That photo clearly shows the background mountains and Greg Davis duplicated the shot in 1985. I strongly believe Greg found the knoll from where Newcomer took the shot and also the direction, looking north. If X marks the spot on the photo and I suspect it does, Greg has come very close to placing the site on a modern day map. (Greg thought possibly within a 20 foot diameter). I would want to study everything further but I believe he is easily within a 100 foot diameter and that is probably me being conservative.

Randy,

If you have or get a chance to copy Greg’s work, I think with your photo editing skills you might be able to shed some additional light on the exact site. The vegetation has obviously changed but even that pattern seems to have some similarities? I can even imagine seeing the possible trail in the photo?

Don’t want to color the discovery site discussion with the intrigue, but your correct in that Mott says the skull was on a “knoll” under a Palo Verde Tree. The photo of Brownie and Music examining the skull was surely staged by Newcomer. The Republic stated the skull was found lying on its left side, exposing the larger hole in the right. This photo, I believe, was taken on the day of discovery.

Garry
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I'll talk to Greg about it next time I'm over :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Garry,

Right after the 2nd trip to Garden Valley and visiting the Stone Idol spot, the party headed to the Red Paint mine. Mott gives a very accurate portrayal of that route to 2nd water and up the hill to the mine. He refers to the creek as First Water. This would be in the December 17th article and follows the little man appearance. what bothers me about the X is why everyone is off to the right.

The tree in the dead center above the people that stands out is the tree the skull pictures were taken under. I blew it up and every contour and line matches the photo with Brownie and Music. I do not know if the X is the real spot or Something else entirely. You can see the trail in the photo clearly I thought.
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

Wayne,

You are absolutely correct regarding Mott’s reference to First Water Creek, but you did credit him for an accurate portrayal of the route. Having recently made the hike from First Water thru Garden Valley to Boulder Creek for the first time, I can sympathize with Mott. I must have looked at my modern day map 20 times trying to figure out where we were. If someone had told me that one of the canyons was First Water Creek, I would have believed them. I wouldn’t have had a clue if I hadn’t had the map. I can’t image Mott coming up with that reference on his own. I just say he should have checked his sources better, but I’m a loooong way from giving up on him.

As for seeing the trial in the Newcomer photo, I see two different features that might indicate a trail? One on the contour or the hill about 40 or 50 feet North of where the animals are tied? I wouldn’t bet a dime on either one though.

Garry
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

for what its worth,there was a story in circulation some years ago ,regarding the skulls fortitious discovery.the story went that a certain member of the group(who will remain nameless,) brought the skull along and "dropped" it at an opportune moment to be found.i,by the way, dont subscribe to that theory,but some people did.....if true ,i think it would be safe to assume that the "dropper" would have been the killer.(if indeed there was one)....oh well another piece of useless folklore i guess.
Don update your email address