Dr. Adelmar Marcus Tuttle 1848-1898

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

Dr. Adelmar Marcus Tuttle 1848-1898

Post by zentull »

While I have been given a certain amount of good research concerning Dr. Adelmar Marcus Tuttle by members of the forum, I am still trying to put the pieces together. Questions that remain are whether his 1st wife and daughter ever made the trip to Phoenix( They both ended up in California) and the mystery surrounding the infant buried with him at the pioneers cemetery that apparently was conceived with his second wife.

Adelmar came to Phoenix sometime prior to the flood in 1891. He was a homeopathic physician and surgeon who specialized in lung and respiratory ailments. He belonged to a number of local organizations and was the City health inspector during the early to mid 1890s. I have included photos of " Uncle Doc" in the members archive with my other photos
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Adelmars first wife Alice Marie (Pitts) died in California, his daughters family is uninterested. Alice carried the Tuttle name to her grave and is listed as his widow after his death. Adelmars second wife Louise (maiden name Gilbert) was married to Judge Lighthizer of Tucson in 1889 than married Adelmar in 1897. Louise was still living in the Tuttle residence in the 1908.

Merritt is unrelated as far as I can see. He must come from an entirely different Tuttle line. He appears to have several problems dealing with mental illness and was shot as a result of these problems. Adelmars brother was living in Chicago at the time of his death. The funeral was delayed as was the settling of his estate due to the travel time.

Adelmars Father was Elon Tuttle born Jan. 7 1823 in Salisbury, New York.
Elons children are as follows:Ellen (Nellie), Harriet, Silvia, Adelmar, Janette, Lucien and Sophia.

Joseph Tuttle of the Red Jack gang fame, who was hung for robbery is a distant relation though.

I have tried several times over the years to make an appointment to visit Adelmars grave and have never heard back from anyone. The last time I tried to bribe them with the photos.
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I would like to thank both LDM and Novice for all their help in assisting me in my research on Dr Tuttle. I have not only gathered some great information as well as visited his final resting place, I was able to contribute from my end information and photos that were unavailable that were useful. To have had the opportunity to be part of a special moment shared by my family and LDM, is beyond words.

So, it appears that once in a while the forum actually can resolve things and be a positive force.

Thanks a million guys.

Wayne
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM