WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

ALL,

TROUBLE AGAIN

I have not read every negative post in LDM Discussions lately, nor do I care to, however, I have seen enough to know that change is again on the horizon. I believe that I should act quickly this time instead of letting this chaos go on and on. What I have seen has stopped many from posting, and has run off any new people that have found this site. I find that that bothers me the most. Forum members have once again become an audience to those fighting in the "forum ring." Some may find it amusing for round one or two, but then they walk out, and some never come back. Some old members accuse new members of being "old ghosts." Maybe, maybe not. I don't care as long as they are not trouble makers, which new members almost always have clean posts. If this uncivilized show does not stop in a couple of days the LDM Discussions will go to the archives and members will have to post in LDM Discussions Moderated by Jesse, Ron, and Josh Feldman. That forum has been proven to be very usable and easy to moderate. I wrote the parameters of that forum about a year ago. They are as such:

"This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please. It allows all character, personality, and freedom, short of sarcastic malicious attacks. Just how civilized people practice life everyday. This forum's moderators will delete unnecessary posts and hopefully save the discussions from closure. Anything brought from previous history concerning unwanted behavior will be deleted."

Jesse Feldman
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Where Do I Vote?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

I urged that you folks do that a long time ago. I did not start this madness, but I won't let folks walk all over me. You and your dad wouldn't either.

Respectfully,

Joe
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Good for you, Joe. Stand up for your rights.
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Jesse wrote:

"What I have seen has stopped many from posting."

That statement certainly applies to myself, as I wish to avoid having my name associated with such conduct.

Discussion boards tend to be somewhat heated at times, and I have no problem with people who express strong opinions. In fact, I refused to sign on to the LDM "code of conduct", not because I disagreed with it's
premise, but because I reserve the right to swear like a sailor, should I feel the urge.

Still, there is way too much "I know more than you do" isms going on for my taste. The posturing is demeaning, at best. Pardon my arrogance, but may I remind everyone: You are all more important, and more valuable, than any hole in the ground, no matter how much gold may
be inside.

Or do we only remember that, when we lose someone?

Laz
counterclockwise

Post by counterclockwise »

<BEGIN>
ALL,

TROUBLE AGAIN

I have not read every negative post in LDM Discussions lately, nor do I care to, however, I have seen enough to know that change is again on the horizon. I believe that I should act quickly this time instead of letting this chaos go on and on. What I have seen has stopped many from posting, and has run off any new people that have found this site. I find that that bothers me the most. Forum members have once again become an audience to those fighting in the "forum ring." Some may find it amusing for round one or two, but then they walk out, and some never come back. Some old members accuse new members of being "old ghosts." Maybe, maybe not. I don't care as long as they are not trouble makers, which new members almost always have clean posts. If this uncivilized show does not stop in a couple of days the LDM Discussions will go to the archives and members will have to post in LDM Discussions Moderated by Jesse, Ron, and Josh Feldman. That forum has been proven to be very usable and easy to moderate. I wrote the parameters of that forum about a year ago. They are as such:

"This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please. It allows all character, personality, and freedom, short of sarcastic malicious attacks. Just how civilized people practice life everyday. This forum's moderators will delete unnecessary posts and hopefully save the discussions from closure. Anything brought from previous history concerning unwanted behavior will be deleted."

Jesse Feldman <END>

Mr. Feldman(s),

Your threat to send this forum to the archives and force members to use the moderated forum so that you can censor every post is an insult to any average person’s intelligence. It is indisputable that you have in the past repeatedly deleted posts in this so-called “un-moderated” forum that you found to be not to your liking. As administrators of the site you have every right to do so, as long as you are forthright and place your name or a statement such as: <Deleted> where the original post was instead of leaving the membership to believe that the post was deleted by the original poster or just wondering what happened to it. In some cases the administrators of this site have deleted an entire topic leaving no trace that it ever even existed. Whereby you choose to indulge in these practices only where names of certain individuals or representatives of the OK Corral that manage this website are concerned strongly suggests a biased and self-serving censorship on your part. That you have selectively and secretly, at will, and with full disregard of anyone’s reputation but your own, censored some slanderous posts thereby shielding select individuals and yourselves, and left others hanging out in the open to dry is indicative of most vile and despicable form of censorship imaginable!

I fully expect this post to vanish into the abyss with many others, but I have a copy of it and I assure you that if it does, it will come back again, and again, and again as many times as necessary until you let it stand.

CCW
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

You are misinformed

Dear Counterclockwise,

Your claims are bogus. In the LDM Discussions no one has the authority to delete posts except the one that wrote the post.

Thanks for clearing that up,

Jesse Feldman
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Bogus?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

"Bogus" can be construed to mean that the person is lying. It could also be construed to mean that they are mistaken.

This seemed to be the kind of post (confrontational) that you should have ignored. A reply, as you know, can only bring a confrontational response,
assuming Mr. Counterclockwise did not or was unable to notice the post subject. Lots of folks here just don't seem able to follow the entire message.

Hopefully Mr. Counterclockwise will see it differently, and just thank you for your clarification of the facts. I should warn you that clarification is not very well accepted on your Forum.

Had you read some of the past threads, you would know that.

This post is in no way meant to convey any "accussations or malice". It is, however, "just pointing out a fact". Your ability has never been a question with me.

Thank you for that line, Matthew. I can only hope that it keeps me out of hot water.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
buscar
Part Timer

The Word Bogus

Post by buscar »

The word bogus is first recorded in American usage in the 1820s, referring to a machine for producing counterfeit money; its modern uses seem to have developed from there. Its ultimate origins remain unclear, but one suggestion is that it comes from tantrabogus, a word reportedly in use in New England in the early 19th century for “a sinister-looking object” (which itself may have been based on bogy, meaning “devil”). Another theory is that it may be related to Hausa boko, meaning “deceit, fraud,” and have crossed the Atlantic with transported slaves.

Now that we know what the word bogus means, lets use the LDM Discussions to
discuss anything related to the Lost Dutchman Mine in this form.

I agree with the quote from counterclockwise: “What I have seen has stopped many from posting, and has run off any new people that have found this site.”

buscar :(
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Thankyou Mr. Roberts, Joe, and Buscar.

Jesse
Ward
Greenhorn

Post by Ward »

This thread is interesting and i have seen some things disapear to. just over the weekend petier made a post in the WARD secton that said - i cant wait to meet you in person and beat you ass - i asume he was talking to me, but now the same post says something diferent and it shows nothing about being edited like other edited posts do. i am sure other people saw it besides me. when jesse says they canot change things at there will there is something wrong with his words. someone high up on this site is changing and deleting posts and leaving no sign that they have done it. there IS some hocos pocos KAZAM! going on here. if not the feldmans then the webmaster (who works for them and is the same thing) is doing it and feldmans are saying NOT ME. this forum IS being moderated and manepulated but they deny it. are they even the gohsts everyone sees all staged like a phoney restling match. can there really be psople that fight so much and then just say ok. all is forgoten. is this all staged for entertanment and sponsor $$$$$$$$$$$? GOOD WORK CCW!!!!!!!!!
buscar
Part Timer

Edit/Delete

Post by buscar »

I do not recall Jesse Feldman saying, they cannot change things.

What he did say:

“In the LDM Discussions no one has the authority to delete posts except the one that wrote the post.”

In the LDM Discussions all members have the authority to Edit/Delete their own post .

Buscar :)
Last edited by buscar on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Manipulation?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

For anyone who is unsure if our posts are being tampered with......
If you edit your post prior to receiving a reply, the edit will not be recorded.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
buscar
Part Timer

Edited

Post by buscar »

Joe is correct in saying:

"If you edit your post prior to receiving a reply, the edit will not be recorded. "

When I edited my post above, and resubmitted it before there was a reply, it showed no edit. When I edited my post after Joe posted a reply, it showed that my post was edited.

Before logging out, and having not received a reply, I edited/resubmitted this post. It showed no record of it being edited.

Later, after logging out, and no reply, I then logging back in, edited /resubmitted this post to see if an edit was recorded.

Results…

buscar :)
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I would hate that the authority and control of all posts would fall under moderation, but if it is the direction the forum needs to go, then I will support it. Perhaps the First Ammendment forum could remain unmoderated for non LDM info that would not be welcome in the moderated forums.

I believe this forum will be a bit of influence over the LDM community and the research that will unfold in the future. It features the highs and lows of the LDM canon and more importantly the thoughts and opinions of those who have followed up the research of the past. Where we make mistakes is just as important a learning tool.

The biggest downside of what could happen is that the good work that is done will trickle to a few people and then fade away. The thing I remember most about the old prospectors we came across when I was a boy was the stink and more importantly the isolation. What some people call freedom becomes a cage of their own making. The vultures circle to feed the cycle and those with the best intentions wonder what the story was as they watch from a distance.