Photos of Ruth's Skull

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
ArmchairHuntress
Greenhorn

Photos of Ruth's Skull

Post by ArmchairHuntress »

I know someone in here was asking if there was ever another view of Ruth's skull, other than the one that everyone has seen.

I came across this site just now, and it appears to show a different photo, but what the validity of the website or author is, I don't know.

Take a look:

http://home.teleport.com/~lucca/LostDut ... sSkull.htm
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

That would be Dr Glover who is a member of the forum, though he has not posted in sometime. His 2 books are essential pieces of the LDM canon.
ArmchairHuntress
Greenhorn

Post by ArmchairHuntress »

Oh, so this is old news, then.

Well, all I can say is that it looks like the right side has a pretty big hole in it, bigger than the one on the left. Hmmmmmm....
Knun
Part Timer

One thing?

Post by Knun »

When you look at the photo's of Ruth's skull there is one thing that I can't quite get right.

I'm hoping someone on the forum can help.

When you look at the entrance wound (if you believe it as such), it is rather large. It's my understanding that if you shot something, a few feet away, you would see a round hole almost the same size as the bullet. That is not the case here. Further away, when the bullet slowed down quite a bit you could see what is depicted.

As for the exit wound, that's possible. However, if the bullet was slow enough to push a chunk inside, I doubt it would have exited.

I've hunted a bit and have never seen an entrance wound that large. I've also had to shoot deer with a handgun from close range. on no occasion have I seen a entrance wound that large and in some occasions the skull kind off exploded inside the hide.

I still think it was a through and through but something else happened after the deadly shot.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

One thought I have is that it was a shotgun slug.

Another thought is the left side, with the huge hole, is the entrance side and was enlarged by someone for some reason. That's a far fetched idea though.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

It is strange how even the left side is large for an entry wound even at close range. It was determined it was possibly a .45 caliber handgun at close range, which could account for the larger hole if it caused fractures that broke off later. The right side exit seems to be a very large area, encompassing even the partial rear of the skull. That would make me believe that the shooter was angled facing Ruth, unless they were left handed. The caliber and range could explain a lot, but we have very little to go on there if anything.
LDM
Part Timer

LL

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knun
Part Timer

Good point

Post by Knun »

I have to say I can't remember seeing an entrance wound in an animal from an inch or so away. I probably would remember if I did!

But if it was from that close, the velocity would carry the bullet out the other side with minimal expansion. The mass of the bone fragments plus the bullet could possibly do that kind of damage but the skull would be hard pressed to stay intact before the bullet existed.