Spanish Mining Laws

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Roger
Part Timer

Spanish Mining Laws

Post by Roger »

We had discussed the topic of Spanish mining laws and regulations several times on the Forum. I have come across an on-line book that might be of interest to members that has the following description:

• Author: Halleck, H. W. (Henry Wager), 1815-1872.
• Title: A collection of mining laws of Spain and Mexico / Compiled and translated by H. W. Halleck.
• Publication Info: Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Library 2005
• Print source: A collection of mining laws of Spain and Mexico / Compiled and translated by H. W. Halleck.
Halleck, H. W. (Henry Wager), 1815-1872., Spain., New Spain., Mexico.
• San Francisco: O'Meara & Painter, printers, 1859.
• Subject terms:
Mining law -- Spain.
Mining law -- Mexico.
Mineral industries -- Dictionaries
Spain -- Colonies
URL: http://name.umdl.umich.edu/AEL1949.0001.001

Here is the web site to this 650+ page book published in 1859 that covers Spanish/Mexican mining laws from 1263 to 1849 in English.

http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/tex ... 9.0001.001

There is a very good search engine that will search all of the laws for terms and words. There are some interesting laws regarding Indians owning mines and working in them plus priests not being able to work in the mines. Sadly, there is not any mention of the making of secret coded maps to the location of mines in New Spain.

Hope you find this item interesting.

Roger
bill711
Expert

Mining Laws

Post by bill711 »

Roger does the works mention anything about the marking or descriptions of the mines, any markings or so on?? Bill 8)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Interesting Book

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

I have the book. It's interesting but there is nothing in it, that comes close to what we would all like to find.

As I have said before, there is no documentation for the "King's Secret Code". Nice story though.

Respectfully,

Joe
bill711
Expert

mining laws

Post by bill711 »

Joe; While I do not think that there is a kings code; I do think that there was a commonly used method for marking the way to and from mines. I have seen the same markings from too many states that had to come from too many different miners. bill 8)
Roger
Part Timer

Spanish Mining Laws

Post by Roger »

Bill,

As I indicated, I haven't read the whole document, but have read the total table of contents and done a number of key word searches. The only thing in the book on marking the mine locations reads a lot like U.S. laws regarding the size of the claim that can be made, where the claim markers have to be placed, etc. It does require a certified person to go out and inspect the mine to ensure it was properly marked as detailed in Title VI beginning on page 223 and in specific in Article 4 which is quoted below:

"Art. 4. Those mentioned in the preceding articles must appear with a written statement before the Deputation of Mining of that territory (territorio), or the one nearest if there should be none there, stating in it their names, and those of their partners (compaqeros) if they have any, the place of their birth, their residence, profession and employment, and the most particular. and distinguishing features of the place (sitio,) hill (cerro), or vein of which they ask the grant (adjudicacion): all of which circumstances, and the hour in which the discoverer presents himself, shall be noted in a Book of registry which the Deputation and Notary (Escribano) of Mines, if there be one, shall keep; and, this being done, his written statement shall be returned to the discoverer for his due security, and notices (carteles) shall be affixed to the doors of the Church, Government-houses (Casas Reales), and other public places of the Town for due information. And I order that, within ninety days, he shall have made in the vein or veins of his registry, a pit (pozo) of a vara and a half wide or in diameter. at the mouth, and ten varas down or in depth; and that, as soon as this is done, one of the Deputies shall personally go, accompanied by the Notary (Escribano) if there be one, and if there be none, by two assisting witnesses, and a professional Mining Expert (Peritofactltativo de lMineria), of that territory, to inspect the course and direction of the vein, its width, its inclination to the horizon, which is called echado or recuesto, its hardness or softness, the greater or less firmness of its sides, and the species or principal indications (pintas) of the mineral., taking an exact account of all this in order that it may be added to the corresponding part of its registry, with the evidence (fe) of possession which shall immediately be given in my Royal name, measuring to him his perlenencias, and causing him to fix stakes (Estacas) in his boundaries, as will hereafter be mentioned; which being done, there will be delivered to him an attested copy of the proceedings, as a corresponding Title."

Interesting that the "professional Mining Expert (Peritofactltativo de lMineria)" was to inspect the mine and it later details what the mine owner has to pay this individual to do that work. Wonder if this individual could have been the one was responsible for making maps to the mine location? Also note that the mining claim notice had to be posted on the doors of the local church. Wonder if any of the churches kept these claim notices over time?

Interesting topic, but as Joe says - no secret map codes in this one!

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Secrets

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Actually, just the opposite. Public posting of the claim. No secrets there, just a wide open notice. Seems like a funny way to keep the location of all the "King's" mines secret. :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

Spanish Mining Claims

Post by Roger »

Joe, think I pointed out in the last posting that these were public postings of claims - no secrets. Same point you are making.

Here's one you will like - you can join the Historic Sites & Shipwrecks Restoration & Preservation Socitety and they will give you all the info you need on Spanish map codes and treasure location markers. Check out their web site at:

http://www.thehss.com/default2.aspx?tabid=32#

Have fun!!!

Roger
bill711
Expert

mining laws

Post by bill711 »

Joey joey joey; As far as I am concerned If I do not know it; It is a damn secret! :lol: bill 8)