The Digital Age

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
ThomasG
Part Timer

The Digital Age

Post by ThomasG »

One of the discussions Greg and I have had is: Just how well in the legend doing today? I tend to think it is very slowly fading … not to oblivion, but becoming a shadow of its once self.

Greg has told me that he still gets numerous (or more) inquiries about Waltz. the Mine, the Legend and such. And that the Museum’s attendance keeps going up and they get numerous inquiries about Waltz, the Superstitions, and so forth.

I am not so sure. If one is driving north on the Apache Trail the first thing they come to is the museum and its grounds. The near incredible work that has transpired over the years has (in my opinion) transformed the museum grounds. I should think that just seeing the museum grounds it likely to attract visitors. … almost like a magnet. And at the museum they get numerous inquiries about the legend.

I am not certain, however, that the large number of inquiries represent for many nothing more than a passing interest. Greg gets numerous inquiries, he is the go to person. He is the calm, one might say, in eye of the Dutchman hurricane. But being in the eye one cannot see out to the broader picture. One may not be able to tell (if you allow me to stretch the metaphor) whether it is a category 1, or 2, or 4. When I first got seriously interested in the legend it was definitely a category 4 – just down from a 5 which it had been at one time.

Now is there a point to all of this? Hopefully yes. The younger generation are a digital generation. For me this encompasses mostly web sites and email. But this in not the case any more. Now it is Twitter, Snap Chat, Facebook, etc. It is not enough to simply have a website any more. The Museum’s home page (which I think is very good!) has links to their Facebook page, Twitter and Google Plus.

What I am suggesting is that those of us who Tweet, and so forth give the Museum, the Society and the legend a boost by using these. If you go to the Museum take photos and post them, if you have the facility to take video post it on YouTube. Help increase the Society’s digital footprint.

Many are now reading ebooks. For many it is their first choice. I have seen it in both the young, and the not so young, When one goes to Amazon Kindle and searches for “Lost Dutchman Mine” there are several pages. As is the case the further you get into the pages one may wonder why some of the entries are there. But the first page which has numerous listings is composed of items that mostly focus on the legend. For example, the first 10 are:

Chasing Pedro: The discovery of the Lost Dutchman Mine $4.99

The Lost Dutchman Mine (Ely) $5.99

Hunting Old Snowbeard's Gold: Searches for and Seekers of the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine $4.99

Superstition Mountain Prospecting: Searching For The Lost Dutchman Mine $7.95

The Sun, The Glass, and The Leaning Rock: Secret of the Lost Dutchman's Gold (Florea and Holland Mystery Series Book 1) $3.99

The Great Gold Hunt: Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine (Butch Carson Adventures Book 2) $2.99

Into the Unknown: The Lost Dutchman Mine $6.99

Spirits In The Mountain $7.95

Lost Dutchman Gold $2.99

The Lost Dutchman's Mine (History Project)(6 Pages) $0.99

Thomas
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: The Digital Age

Post by Cubfan64 »

Hello Thomas! Although it feels like forever to me, I've probably only been "really" invested in the LDM and history of the Superstitions for 15-20 years which is just a blink of the eye. That said, you're absolutely correct that the digital age and associated technological advances just in that time alone has been staggering when you sit back and think about it.

Most people would say that as we advance technologically, it follows that we progress as a society. A long time ago someone reminded me that progress and advancement always comes at a cost and going forward generally means at least something is being left behind. One hopes the rewards of progress outweigh the losses and in most cases they do, but in respects to this topic I can’t help but feel we’re losing too much.

I agree with your perception that most of the people who visit the museum, Goldfield or Tortilla Flat are simply tourists, doing what tourists do – checking off lists they saw on “Tripadvisor” or “Yelp.” I wouldn’t equate higher attendance with a greater interest in the legends – I would attribute it to more baby boomers retiring with more time and $ on hand to travel and sight see.

What keeps a legend alive is youthful interest, and it’s difficult to gauge that. I believe that interest is slowly fading as well Thomas. The things that stirred me to be interested in exploration, discovery, history, stories of treasure etc… were my imagination, reading and living at a time where even as a 10 year old boy I could take off with some water and a sandwich in my backpack, grab my pellet gun and go off exploring the fields and woods behind my home from sunrise to sunset with hardly a care in the world. I think as a whole, fewer young boys and girls get to experience those things. It seems as though whether during the school year or summer vacation, kid’s time is so scheduled and organized that they have little time to just experience being “a kid,” and the time they do have is spent playing games on iphones or game consoles.

You’re correct that we need to use the new digital media such as facebook, twitter, etc… to tray to encourage that young interest, but in my opinion that only works if they visit those specific sites to start with. Somehow they need to be encouraged or at least exposed to the legends, stories and history early enough that they then want to start looking further.

As much as I dislike “Reality TV,” I think things like that or the YouTube videos Wayne and Frank are doing where they talk about the history and then go out and walk it is a great way to kick start that curiosity in younger people. I also think things like facebook and YouTube have exposed many more people and families to hiking in the Superstitions. That has its downsides in heavier traffic, but few people still go off the beaten trails, and just experiencing the mountains can be the spark that kindles an interest in the history and legends. I know whenever I get a chance on the Facebook hiking pages I frequent, I point people towards and Jack and Elizabeth’s hiking guides – they are such an awesome mix of directions and history and I think that could also spark an interest.

It would be a shame if the legends and discussions continue to fade away with time. We’re not far from the day where folks like Clay and Tom will be gone and the generation that ACTUALLY LIVED some of that history will no longer be here. What will happen to those legends 40 years from now when those of us who frequent these forums are no longer here?
Deducer
Greenhorn

Post by Deducer »

Wouldn't worry about the "legend" fading away.

Just when you think it is just about to die, something comes around the corner, such as the Legends of Superstition Mountains show. Something else will come around the corner sooner or later, and I'm not talking about the amateur sideshow, down Texas way.

And within the next decade or so, something big is going to happen.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Deducer,

You don't seem to have much faith in our new guru. Despite the "new age" online stuff, I still prefer books in hand. All the stuff (practically) online originally came from books. Problem is, a lot of it comes down to who is doing the input. That being said, I still will surf the Net now and again.

Take care,

Joe