NEW BOOK....

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

NEW BOOK....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Dr. Glover called me last night and mentioned that his book was available on Amazon. Naturally, it's a book I highly recommend.

Here is the link: (edited by admin)
http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Tales-Su ... erstitions

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: NEW BOOK....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don't know why that link doesn't work. Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Tales-Su ... erstitions
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

regurgitated stuff? more of the same?-or less of the same......not being disrespectful here by the way,but is there anything left to be written that hasnt been written before? or has it just been discovered that there were indeed 5 peralta massacres instead of the 2-3 or was it 4 ? :D
Don update your email address
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

How can you "highly reccomend" a book that judging by your comment you havent yet received,let alone read?.......Mark Twain wrote several crappy books to go along with his masterpieces ...not that im suggesting here that any ldm books have been written by anyone faintly resembling Mark Twain of course....
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

don wrote:How can you "highly reccomend" a book that judging by your comment you havent yet received,let alone read?.......Mark Twain wrote several crappy books to go along with his masterpieces ...not that im suggesting here that any ldm books have been written by anyone faintly resembling Mark Twain of course....
Hi Don,

Happy New Year!

I know Dr. Glover quite well. He and his wife have spent some time with us here in Lake Havasu City. Beyond that, we have exchanged numerous e-mails and phone calls over the years. We have discussed many aspects of his new books, there are two, and I may have made some small additions to the one just published. He did send me an advance copy of one or two of the stories.

I am more than familiar with the contents of the book and highly recommend it to all Dutch Hunters and those who are simply interested in the legends and lore of the Superstition Mountains.

Thomas is a man of great knowledge, integrity and honor. I am privileged to call him friend.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

oh ok joe ....i got the wrong end of the stick,nothing new there ..
regards
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

We're a few miles apart. Easy to get crossed up, but I try to make it as easy as possible. Unfortunately, my mind don't work so good anymore.

Hope all is well,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

This was my review written for Amazon.com:

[Dr. Glovers latest book is a welcome addition to his two earlier publications concerning the Lost Dutchman Mine, and the legends and lore of the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. His chapter "Twice Told Tales" is like a "Ride Through Time....", so to speak, and gives us a personal, fictional account of a 24-hour trip into the Superstition Mountains with his good friend and partner Len Killen. They discuss many aspects of the various legends and stories attached to that beautiful yet dangerous range.

No Dutch Hunter or fan of the legends surrounding the Lost Dutchman Mine should be without this latest edition.

Joe Ribaudo
Founder of the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous]

The book is very well written with few exceptions. If you read, and I understand some of you don't, you should have this book in your collection. It does contain some new facts and stories.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Post by cuzzinjack »

Hello Joe and Don,

Speaking of ox-carts, it took 8 days from the time my book was registered as received in the post office in Prescott to the time it was delivered to my mailbox in Gilbert, AZ. Times have really not changed that much after all. Finally, the reading can begin..........

cuzzinjack
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

cuzzinjack,

If you think that's bad, you should live in Lake Havasu City. Talk about "snail mail". If we mail something local, it used to be sent to Las Vegas and then sent back here. :x :x

It's a good book, with only a few minor glitches.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Post by cuzzinjack »

Hello Joe,

The book is excellent. I'll have to read some chapters again due to rushing to get to the next. There are so many things in this book that I did not know about. Dr. Glover’s style reminds me of Alan Eckert and his “Frontiersman” series of novels.

Many of my questions were answered. I’m still not a believer that the Lost Dutchman is in the wilderness area, but am not saying the believers are wrong either. After reading the widely varied accounts, it highly likely to me that there were several separate discoveries on 3 sides of the Superstitions, but not so sure about the east or the interior. IMHO, the geology has to tie these widely-spaced, very rich discoveries together, and have an idea about this that I’m working on and will post later. My view still is that there is a lost “mining district”, not just a lost mine.

I’m not as learned as many regarding the history of the Superstitions, and the only thing believed to be incorrect in the book is the source that quoted Mrs. Lewis in "Clues". In a previous post, quoting an excerpt from the booklet “Spanish Gold”, she said the bulk of the gold came from an area 1-1/2 miles south of the hat-shaped rock that is just north of Government Well, not on the southern slopes of the Superstitions as the source quoted. Also, she was quoted in “Spanish Gold” that the expeditions “passed through” Adamsville, not that the mine was towards Adamsville. It is more than coincidence that she had mining claims 1-1/2 miles south of the hat-shaped rock also.

The most chilling item that that was read in the book is the possibility that the massacre could have been miles north of the classic location and in the hills just east of Government Well. I found the item in the photo below one evening several years ago in those hills just east of Gov. Well, and have posted it here before. It is an Apache Hoop, and is a powerful symbol for the Apache people. The colors of the streamers represent the 4 times of the day, and the 4 times of the year. The 4 balls, one on each quadrant, are filled with tobacco. The leather pouch at the base has tiny silver bells on the ends of the tie string, and a bear amulet made of polished brown stone with a faceted gem eye, and a piece of root, was inside. The root was believed to be “Indian Root”(American Spikenard). The wound-healing properties of this root are legendary, and it must have been common for warriors to carry this back in the day.

A friend of mine took this photo to a man from San Carlos, and the man said he thought that someone of great importance had died there. I've often wondered if a battle had taken place there, and until now had not thought about it in a long time. Here is the photo:

http://mollymarieprospect.com/Peralta2posting/hoop.jpg

cuzzinjack
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

cuzzinjack,

Nice post.

To the east of Gov. Well and across the highway, there is a Spanish type excavation. I need to send someone up there someday.

I see two yellow, one white and one red ribbon on your "Apache Hoop". Is that correct?

Thank you,

Joe
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Post by cuzzinjack »

Hello Joe,

The major flags are yellow, bright green, white, and brown-black. There are 2 yarn strings that are draped over and one is white and one is red. i do not know what the strings mean, but they may be key.

cuzzinjack
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

cuzzinjack,

As far as I know, the colors for the seasons and cardinal directions are, white, red, black and blue. Are you certain it's Apache?

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Post by cuzzinjack »

Hello Joe,

Here is an link to an article about it:

http://www.greatdreams.com/apache/apache-tribe.htm

This is what it says in a snippet from the long article:

"Apache Hoop---Dee´ (San Carlos Apache) and Ndee´ (White Mountain Apache)

The Apache hoop is used in traditional ceremonies and the type of ceremony determines whether a single hoop or four hoops are used. The hoop represents the cycle of life from birth to death. It possesses special powers, which could be used, for example, to bless an individual when the hoop completely encircles the body. The hoop also has healing and protective powers.

The single Apache hoop has one of the four sacred colors of the tribe: black, green, (blue), yellow and white. These colors represent the four directions, the four seasons, and the four major divisions of the day. An eagle feather is tied at four locations on the hoop. To the Apache, and almost all tribes, the eagle is a sacred bird and its feathers are believed to have special powers."

I guess the blue can be used in a pinch.

cuzzinjack
ThomasG
Part Timer

Post by ThomasG »

Don,

I fully emphasize with your comment: “regurgitated stuff? more of the same?-or less of the same......not being disrespectful here by the way, but is there anything left to be written that hasn’t been written before?”

My interest is in trying to separate the wheat form the chaff. As for the accounts themselves — Silver King discovery, Two Soldiers, etc — as you note they have been done over and over. For me, the question is did the Two Soldiers story really happen? One has to keep in mind that there are more than one lost mine story across the west that involve soldiers. But the information I have is that it did happen.

There is a remnant of the story int he Masson family. But more importantly Jerry Hamrick tracked down the names of the two soldiers and then traced the descendants of at least one. He found that family also retained a memory of the incident — mostly because the family remembered all the money and gold that Aaron Mason sent them. The historical background/aspect is what interests me.

Another case is the account of the massacre in my first book. It relates that William Edwards and Joe Green were with Company F of the Arizona volunteers traveling from the Tucson area to Fort Whipple. On the journey Edwards and Green supposedly found the remains of non-indians who had been massacred. Further research has not supported this account. I now have documentation that it near impossible for Green to have been with Company F or any company traveling north from southern Arizona. All I can say is that when I wrote the first book, The Golden Dream, I relied on a source that I no longer consider valid. My mistake.

Of the legends of gold in the Superstitions which are more likely to be true? Any? Some? None? We have two very different accounts of the Wagoner story, Which does history support? For me that is the question.

Just and ol’ academic trying to answer questions where there are discrepancies between versions/accounts — trying to determine if something did happen, or did it spring full blown from a person’s imagination. There is quite a bit of that around!!

I appreciate your skeptical approach — especially after some of the things I have heard. I remember one morning when as a courtesy I was taken on a guided hike on the trail around the southern tip of Superstitions Mountain. Places were pointed out to me, the site of Jesuit treasure, the rock that looks like a man, the route of the Two Soldiers and more. The irony was the person really seemed to believe it all … he was showing me respect (his version) by sharing. About all I could do was nod and smile.

Thomas
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thomas,

First, thank you for the card. Don't do much celebrating these days, but just reaching 73 seems like a momentous event.

It took awhile for light to be shown on some "sources". Eventually, I believe the truth will break through. It's good to have an author that values the truth over the maximum income. You have always admitted mistakes or misinformation.

It may be that I was one of the people you just smiled and nodded your head at. I have used that same smile and nodding head many, many times over the years. It has often occurred with good friends, but more often with treasure hunters I have just met. Your "source" has been exposed by some excellent research by others, and even some efforts of my own.

As I have often advised others, question everyone, even yourself. An expression often used by a good friend is: "Dawn breaks over Marblehead".

Our best to you and Carol.

Take care,

Joe
ThomasG
Part Timer

Post by ThomasG »

Joe,

No, it wasn't you. You should know better.

After the hike/walk the person and I went to breakfast. He wanted to know what I knew about a secret flying saucer base. Ah well .... What one must always remember, however, is that he was sincere and for him these things existed. He was sharing things important to him.

Thomas
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thomas,

There are so many old timers like that. Uncle Obie was such a believer as was Ernie Provence and I imagine Bob Ward, although I never met him. I never let their certainty sway me. The one story that I have always believed was the Harry LaFrance cave of gold bars tale. Having proof of a LaFrance family connection with Ted DeGrazia throws a slight monkey wrench into my convictions on that story. That being said, I have no doubts as to the existence of the gold bar Harry showed the searchers. I can weave quite a plausible story connecting it all to Pancho Villa. I believe many heads would be nodding like a small army of bobble head dolls.

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Thomas,
Thanks for your reply...I bought and read your first two books on the legend , i found them well written and interesting but i remembered a line (and im quoting from memory ) which you wrote .roughly it said that you had had begun your research with an open mind in an attempt to discover whether the legend had any basis in fact and whether or not there was a very real possibilty it had existed/still exists. you decided that there was indeed evidence to support the mines existence..fair enough ...but to me i couldnt see it. ok if the evidence comprises of the existence of the plethora of characters involved ,that might well be evidence of a sort i suppose..if they werent lying ,or genuinely believed lies theyd been told by others..or as a possible alternative stayed out in the sun for too long.T he whole legend has too many holes in for me, not that that was always the case i admit,i presume that like many others i was introduced to the story at a pretty young age before cynicism and some might say before common sense took hold . through the years so many parts of the tale which seemed to provide some level of authenticity fell away when subjected to scrutiny....Doc Thorne for instance, the 2 soldiers nameless of course ,it makes one wonder how the guy who stored and kept their gold for them while they returned for the rest of it ,remembered pretty much everyting about them ..even to the kind of hats they wore ..yet couldnt recall their names ...the peralta massacre which nobody really knows if it occurred or not ..then some have even tampered with that , suggesting that maybe there were 2 peralta massacres ..or even 3 ,just so "things" might fit a little easier....some people never seem to know when to stop. the stone maps-? -i mean come on ..it would be hard to create a bigger or more obvious hoax than that perhaps....cactus's (or is it cacti) in rows pointing to the mine..3 peaks lining up in a row...holes in miners needle which at the correct time let the suns rays shine onto the mine...aged pima indians who unfortunately or fortunately depending on ones point of view die 5 minutes before they are about to reveal the mines location etc. the "jacob waltz gold receipt" which was a "winner" in some peoples eyes for a while....well that seemed to have died a death too . the fact that gold can still be found in the mts is neither here nor there..neither is the evidence of prospecting ...or discarded mexican mule shoes....we are not talking about any old prospect that might yield a few ounces of gold..we are talking about a PARTICULAR mine ,which to this commenter there is absolutely no evidence of
kind regards