metal detectors??

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
woodreau71
Greenhorn

metal detectors??

Post by woodreau71 »

Hello to all,
I have been contemplating buying a metal detector for several months, but after researching the web and reading about the various name brands I am afraid I'm still lost. While each brand has so much to choose from at just about any price range, knowing what to purchase is still a problem.
Finally one night it hit me. There is probably no one more knowlegable on this subject than Dutchman Hunters.
I am looking for a good all around detector. I have been leaning tward a Whites or a Garrett. Any thoughts??
Thanks in advance and I apologize for posting on this particular forum since it doesnt exactly partain to the listed subject, but it is the only forum I really visit.
:)
Woodreau71
Scoots
Greenhorn

metal detectors??

Post by Scoots »

Hello woodreau,

I recently purchased a used metal detector, its primary purpose is prospecting - not coin shooting. If you want an "all around" type of detector you have to understand that there are trade offs for the "all around" features. Prospecting types of detectors are not the best for coin shooting or relic hunting.

I am posting a link for prospecting types of detectors here for you to check out:

http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum-vie ... thread=349

I hope this will help you with your decision.

Ron
There's another loose screw in the nut factory!
Roger
Part Timer

Metal Detector Suggestions

Post by Roger »

Woodreau,

Based on my experience in owning a number of metal detectors since 1976 when I bought my first machine - a Bounty Hunter. I would recomment that you stick with either a White's Electronics or Garrett metal detector. The model you pick would depend on what types of items you plan to hunt for and in what type of soils plus how much you want to spend. Here are a couple of suggestions on White's detectors and you can explore their web sites for more models:

White's Electornics
http://www.whiteselectronics.com/homepagew.html

1. Prisim IV ($400) Medium priced detector for coin, jewelry, and relic hunting. Lightweight and easy to use. Good all around entry level detector.
2. E-Series XLT ($900): High performance machine that you can custom program numerous settings or use factory preset programs for coin, jewelry, and relic hunting. Good identification of targets and their depths. White's claims the machine can be used for gold prospecting which it can do to some degree. Detector operates at 15khz, but specialized gold machine operate at higher frequencies for depth and ability to handle heavy mineralized ground. I currently own this machine and would give it a thumbs up.
3. E-Series DFX ($1100): White's newest top end detector. Operates at either 15khz or 3khz or both together. Lots of features and can be programed in lots of ways. Also advertized to be a prospecting machine. Get it only if you want to get good at playing with the machine settings and customizing your detector.
4. Goldmaster - GMT ($800): A gold only prospecting machine. Operates at 48khz and has very few settings compared to the E-Series. Emphasis is on depth, gold detection, and ability to handle heavily mineralized ground. I owned an earlier version of this machine when I lived in AZ and hunted an number of claims that the Superstition Mtn Treasure Hunting Club in Apache Junction gave members access to such as North of Carefree, South of Prescott, near Globe/Miami, and Quartzsite. It's a very good machine and easy to use.

Garrett has a similar priced line of detectors. I owned an earier GEB model in the 1980's but am not that familiar with their current models. Garrett is a good line with a solid reputation. Charles Garrett is an ex-Texas Instuments engineer (I also worked there in the 1970's) that started a hobby of building metal detectors and grew it into one of the top detector companies today. His plant is in Garland, TX, a Dallas suburb. Here is their web site:

http://www.garrett.com/hobby/home.htm

On any new detector you choose, search the web for pricing - discounts are easy to find. You can also get used machines at e-Bay, but buyer beware on condition. If you can find a metal detector dealer in your area, many of them carry used machines or do consignment on used detectors.

Good luck with buying a metal detector. Detecting is a great hobby and I have enjoyed it for 30yrs. It will get you outdoors for some exercise!!

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Detector Envy

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Woodreau,

You have received some excellent advise, but there are many pitfalls in the detector buying game.

For a start, you probably should buy a simple machine. It is so much easier to learn, without all the bells and whistles.....going off. Which manufacture should you go with? Everyone has there own favorite. Roger has named some good ones.

Here's a hint: Go on the internet and look for used metal detectors. The best choice, may very well be the ones least mentioned for sale. White's comes to mind. :) You may notice a number of very pricey units for sale.
Minelab comes to mind. They are very good machines.

You may want to purchase one or two books on metal detecting. "Zip Zip"
by larry Sallee is very good. I know Larry and his wife Sue, as the have a shop here in Lake Havasu and we belong to the "Havasu Gold Seekers" club. We have some really good claims below Crossman Peak. Larry's background in the field is impressive, to say the least.

The detector that any of us uses, is not as important as which detector is right for you. SIMPLE is not a bad word for a beginner.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
Roger
Part Timer

Metal Detector Information

Post by Roger »

Woodreau, Joe has some good advice. My other suggestion along the line of Joe's comment would be for you to go the web site for TreasureNet Forum below, get a member ID and password, and post a request for recommendations of what make and model of detector to buy. You would need to describe what type of metal detecting you plan to do ( coin hunting, relic and/or civil war artifact hunting, beach hunting, prospecting, etc) and what price range you want to be in.

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/

If you pull the "browse" tab down to "Shopping" - "Classified Ads", you will find a large number of used detectors for sale by Forum members of all types and price ranges. Here is the direct link to the classifieds:

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php/board,289.0.html

The is the most recent posting by "Marc" in the Classified Ads says to beware of buying on line for scams which is good advice for all of us. For a used machine, your safest bet would still be to find a local metal detector dealer that handles used machines. Check on line or in the yellow pages. You could at least see the machine and try it out. Most shops will not handle defective/abused machines.

Good luck with your purchase of a metal detector.

Roger
woodreau71
Greenhorn

Post by woodreau71 »

Hey I sure appreciate the information you have provided on metal detectors. I have been looking closely at both Whites and Garretts. I guess the outright question I was trying to ask is who makes a better product.
I am going to try and find a consumer report and see what they say. From what I can tell both companies seem to have the same warranties on their products.
Has anyone here used the Garrett GTI 2500? They claim it is the most advanced on the market for all around treasure hunting. If anyone has I would sure like some feedback as I am leaning toward this model.
thanks again Woodreau71
Roger
Part Timer

Metal Detector Recommendations

Post by Roger »

Woodreau,

The LDM Forum is not much of a metal detecting hardware discussion forum which is probably why you have not had much response to this topic.

Again, suggest you go to TreasureNet.com with your questions and you will get some sound advice as that is the prime focus of that forum.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Detector Guide

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Woodreau,

I realize you may already have this information and are looking for a more personal assessment of these units. As Roger has stated, this may not be the best place for the information you are seeking.

The site he gave you seems like the best bet. The thing is, most people who have metal detectors think they have the best. It is just too subjective for you to receive unbiased opinions.

I have a White's Goldmaster GM/4B and think it's a pretty good detector, for the money.

My brother-in-law has a White's TM 808 which runs around $600 - $700.
It is described in their catalog as a "Specialized extra deep detector for large coin hoards, large, deep industrial targets." It will also detect voids, such as covered-over pits. I believe the covering needs to be fairly shallow for this function.

You can get some good advice here:
http://www.metal-detector-guide.info/

Good luck.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo