"The Lost Dutchman Mine" video

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Scoots
Greenhorn

Post by Scoots »

I just received this video on Friday and have already watched it twice.

This is a "fun" video to watch. I'm not sure of its accuracy, but still a fun video to watch.

This video was made by Bob Lee (some sort of southern Ca. TV personality) and Dick Martin, and covers their 4 horse packng adventures into the Superstition Mts. during the years 1960, '62, '70 and '74, looking for the LDM and the folks and prospectors that they meet along the way.

Original filming was 16mm and no sound, but there's a good narration done by Bob Lee, along with a sound track and "corny" sound effects.

Lots of video footage from horseback and helicopter of the area around Weaver's Needle and Black Top Mt.

Folks and prospectors that are met in the video are:
Ed Piper, and Bill and Gene Wilkins, who worked for Piper
Evert Robbins and Olto Severd - prospectors
Robert "Crazy Jake" Jacobs
Tom Daley and Amos Hawkins - retired deputies
and quite a number of other characters.

There's some "corny" dramatization about Waltz, the Peralta massacre, and the Superstition Mts., but I thought there was some "interesting" background on the Ruth murder, tha Apaches and the Black Legion, the shooting of Robert St. Marie, and the film crew discovered the body of August J. Clap in Fremont Canyon, who had been shot in the back of the head.

The story "mainly" centered on the 3 maps of the LDM area that Bob Lee had received from Lee Kessler. These maps were examined and "authenticated" by Ed Piper. Map #3 showed the LDM on Black Top Mt. ...... and the story goes on from there.

As I said, I thought this was a "fun" video (even with all of the "corny" dramatization). I cannot vouch for its accuracy, but it was kind of fun to look back at Apache Jct. in the early 60's. :D
There's another loose screw in the nut factory!
sluicebox
Part Timer

Post by sluicebox »

Scoot

Where did you get that video? I would be interested in seeing it just to get a look at the cast of characters that you mention. Regards, Larry
Scoots
Greenhorn

Post by Scoots »

Hello sluicebox,

I sort of bumbled into this video while doing a search on fleabay and picked it up for less than $8 new.

The seller (auctionbeanstalk) keeps popping up with more of these videos. There's a number of characters who's names you may be more familiar with than I am (a brief glimpse of a very elderly Barney Barnard).

Here's a link to an auction currently open:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARIZONA-True-Histor ... dZViewItem

Have some popcorn handy and good luck.
Ron
sluicebox
Part Timer

Post by sluicebox »

Scoots
Looks like it will be about $9.00 with shipping. Thanks for the link. Regards, Larry
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Hello Scoots,

How is the viewing quality of the DVD? I have the VHS version and it is a little rough.

Thanks!
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
Part Timer

Article on Bruderlin

Post by Roger »

The Arizona Times, Phoenix, ran an article on Henry H. Bruderlin in its Volume 4, No. 10 issue which was written by Gene McKinney, staff writer. The article gives an overview on Bruderlin's hunt for the LDM and includes the map he used to locate the "Mountain of the Shafts" in the Supers. He filed a mining claim on this area of the old mine pits and those records should be available. The article did not disclose the exact location of these "pits" to protect his claim.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Connections?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Matthew,

I believe my Uncle worked for Northrup in the same time frame. Can't help but wonder if Dunn wasn't his introduction to the LDM.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scoots
Greenhorn

Post by Scoots »

Bushrat - no DVD, just VHS, and it is a little rough. I think it is old 16mm transferred to VHS.
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Scoots,

Thanks again. I hit the Ebay link you refereneced and it shows a DVD. Was just wondering (hoping?) that the DVD was a little better quality.

I guess my VHS is good enough....anything related to the.LDM is enjoyable.

Regards!
Mike McChesney
Expert

LDM Video

Post by Mike McChesney »

Bushrat wrote:Scoots,

Thanks again. I hit the Ebay link you refereneced and it shows a DVD. Was just wondering (hoping?) that the DVD was a little better quality.

I guess my VHS is good enough....anything related to the.LDM is enjoyable.

Regards!
Your VHS is just as good. I have it on DVD, and it is just transferred from VHS to DVD. Great info though.

Mike
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Thank you, Mike. Your info will keep me from purchasing another LDM item. I buy too much of it as it is.......

Regards!
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Worth The Money?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bushrat,

For ten bucks, the vidio is more than worth the money. Just don't buy it looking for any earth-shattering information or clues.

Just my opinion, but I am glad to have it in my collection.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Hi Joe,

I did buy the video some years ago and it is sure worth having. My comment was related to the DVD version...but on second thought...the video tapes wear out faster than the DVD's. Probably should have both!

Regards!
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Here are some screen shots.

Check out the Ruth picture :) Some were asking about the other side...well you can see it here (sorta)

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/ ... 407.0.html
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The pictures were nice, the forum however is pretty scary. Kind of a mix between " Deliverance " and " Dumb and Dumber ". We talk about an appropriate handgun and they got a group armed with AR15s hiking from Holbrook? Someone over there should circulate a book or 2 around and get them up to speed.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

haha!

I think someone "spooked" them a little....
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari