Bill Martin

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Bill Martin

Post by Bushrat »

Yesterday my wife and I departed on a trip to Dripping Spring. It was really too late in the day to start (11:30a) when we arrived at the JF Ranch. A truck was parked at the ranch house and we felt the best protocol was to say hello to the man tending his cattle. He was 81 year old Billy Martin Jr. owner of the Martin ranch/JF Ranch house.

A short intorduction turned into a several hours of his (and his Dad's) personal experiences with Tex Barkley, Billy Crader, Crazy Jake, Herman Petrasch and on.... so our hike was immediately cancelled.

Mr. Martin gave us a ride back up the road and invited us to his home . He showed us Elisha Reavis' rifle (as seen on the cover of Jack Carlson's book), rare photos, answered dozens of questions and clarified some issues relating to the Superstion Mountains.

Mr. Martin is an inductee in the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City and a walking museum of the Mountain.

The best hike I never took.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Wow!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bushrat,

What luck! You and your bride should make an immediate trip to Las Vegas. :)

I hope you have written down the conversation, not something you want to forget down the road. Where's Greg's tape recorder when you really need it?

Respectfully,

Joe
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Joe,
Yes it was a lucky day indeed. We met Mrs. Martin and she is a remarkable person also. When we showed up late to the house she said she just knew Bill was out there talking to someone.

I did (kind of) suggest that the Reavis rifle should be in the Superstition Mountain Historical Society Museum but all he said was that they indeed want it. Of course, I didn't go into at all. When you are with a man like that it is best to be a good listener and not much of a talker.

Mr. Martin also stated that he has known Tom Kollenborn for decades so I am sure Mr. K is tracking things for the museum. And I am sure Greg Davis is on top of things.

Anyway, we hit it off very well and he invited me to come by any time. So next time you are in the area give me a call and we'll pay him a visit. It would be worth it just to hold that rifle......it was a magical.......
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

I met Billy Martin a couple years back in an unlikely place. I had hiked up to Miners Needle from the Barkley Basin and when I crested the top, immediately spotted a horse tied to some brush. Mr Martin was stretched out nearby snacking on some jerky. Apparently his horse (Tony) had thrown a shoe and he was waiting for some friends to bring another we chatted a bit and I even took some pictures of him and Tony. Then off I went.......

P
JFRanch

Re: Bill Martin

Post by JFRanch »

I know this is a few years later but I was researching some stuff about my grandfather Bill Martin and ran across this forum. I am glad you got the chance to speak with Bill. I could sit there for hours and listen to his stories and all his adventures on the ranch. Whenever I rode with him I knew we would be a while because we had to stop at every mountain so he could tell me a story about what happened there years before. I wish I could get those days back. I am sad to say that we lost Bill January of 2011 and his wife October of 2010. He had developed Alzheimer's in the last couple years of his life. He could still tell you a good story though! I was also wondering if TGH still had that picture of him and his horse? I would love to see it. I don't recall him ever having a horse named Tony but maybe it was a friends. Thank you guys so much!
Katie
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Katie,

Welcome to the LDM Forum.

I took a copy of your post and emailed it to Peter (THG).

Hope he gets back to you and still has that picture of your grandfather. Never met him, but have read a lot about him. Sounds like you have some wonderful memories.

A number of people who knew him will be at the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous in Oct. If you can, you might want to consider joining us at the event. I'm sure you will hear even more stories than you knew existed. Tom Kollenborn has told me he will be there again.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

JFRanch wrote:I know this is a few years later but I was researching some stuff about my grandfather Bill Martin and ran across this forum. I am glad you got the chance to speak with Bill. I could sit there for hours and listen to his stories and all his adventures on the ranch. Whenever I rode with him I knew we would be a while because we had to stop at every mountain so he could tell me a story about what happened there years before. I wish I could get those days back. I am sad to say that we lost Bill January of 2011 and his wife October of 2010. He had developed Alzheimer's in the last couple years of his life. He could still tell you a good story though! I was also wondering if TGH still had that picture of him and his horse? I would love to see it. I don't recall him ever having a horse named Tony but maybe it was a friends. Thank you guys so much!
Katie
Welcome Katie - I don't know anything about that photograph that TGH mentioned (or even actually who TGH may be), but I'll bet Tom Kollenborn has lots of photos of your grandfather that he would be happy to share with you.

Since you're here, maybe you have some stories to share about your Grandfather that you remember and don't mind adding to the mix?