Where to Find LDM Ore Samples

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
sluicebox
Part Timer

Post by sluicebox »

I bought my copy of this map at Promack in Apachie Junction a couple of months ago. Just go in and ask the nice lady at the desk for a copy of the Bob Ward map and she will run into the back room and like magic appear with the map. Joe, if you can't find a copy elsewhere and would like one, I'de be happy to stop by and pick one up for you. Larry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Map

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Hi Larry,

Thank's for the offer but there is already one in the mail. As usual, there are a number of generous souls on this Forum who are anxious to help out a fellow in need.

I keep hoping that someone with too many gold bars will decide to send me one.....or one hundred. :lol:

Hope your hike to the Massacre Grounds turns out to be a great day. I will be tearing out a room in our store. Life does have a way of getting in the way of our hobbies.

Take care,

Joe
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Sluicebox,

Please check your PM's.

Thank you!
Roger
Part Timer

Spanish Camp GPS Coordinates

Post by Roger »

Sluicebox & All:

Does anyone have the GPS coordinates on the Spanish Camp that is to the North of the Massacre Grounds? Sluicebox gave the Massacre Grounds coordinates and would like to have those for the Spanish Camp also.

Roger
sluicebox
Part Timer

Post by sluicebox »

Roger

We left in a bit of a hurry last Sunday as we were getting pelted with rain and hail. I didn't have the map that I had received from Greyhair with me and I was perhaps a little confused about the location of the Mexican Camp. Peter has indicated that he has done some double checking on it since our hike, and we should be able to locate it next trip. I lost my GPS last trip, but went back and found it the next morning. So, between myself, TGH, Greg, Bushrat and Knun we should be able to locate it this time out and I'll get that info for you next week. Regards, Larry
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Promack is out of the Bob Ward map or so I was told.

Just to save anyone a long drive.
mudhen

Re: Where to Find LDM Ore Samples

Post by mudhen »

First of all this is a great website. Great reading from Peter, Roger, and Randy about the Massacre Grounds.
I enjoy history, and live in Tempe, and I'm more interested in the Massacre Grounds, than the Dutchman Mine.
There are too many myths about Jacob Waltz, his mine, maps, clues, and thousands of hunters, with their own theories.
I feel the Dutchman found a satchel of gold, went back looking for more, made a lot of false clues/maps to different people,
and had a big laugh to himself. I know people like that. Why the hell would he tell anyone the truth how to find his gold?????
I went out last week to the Massacre Grounds, and hoped to maybe find old spurs, spent cartridges, metal buttons, a belt buckle,
or if even real lucky, find some gold nuggets that were dropped from the panicked burros, with my trusty Lobo metal detector
I knew it would be rough country, and I expected it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I came to realize
it was more like looking for a needle in a 12 acres of wheatfields.
I don't know from where the Peralta's would have been retreated from.
Attacked at their basecamp at Indian Springs, and driven to the Massacre Grounds?
Attacked along the canyons after leaving Indian Springs?
Or Bob Ward's 1990 book "Echos" has the 1st encounter at Florence Junction, and retreating back into to the mountains.
I drew a few yellow lines on the photo I took, wondering how they ended up at the Massacre Grounds, and by then they may have lost all the
burros, horses, and been parred down to 25 left from the original expedition of 90 or so.
Too bad Edwards didn't record a map.
Also if anyone wants to join me in a hike, I'm a 70 year old vet, retired, in fairly good shape, still good for a day adventure.