2006 Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Rendezvous

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

WOW!!!

The 2nd. Annuall Dutch hunters' Rendezvous was a great event. The Don's Base Camp was the perfect venue. We should all thank Greg Davis for getting the facilities, and at no cost to the group. Peter and Matthew Roberts should also be thanked for their efforts to make the event a success.

The "lower camp"......that would be us, had around 23 people attending. Of that number, around 15 stayed overnight Friday and Saturday. Most of the others returned each morning.

I am not sure of how many were actually there, as I did not take a count of the folks in Peter's gathering. I believe Greg has an accurate account, as well as everyones names. A few of the people in our camp, including my wife, my cousin and his wife visited Peter's camp. As that camp was a little higher, they found it a bit cooler there. :)

We were lucky enough, again this year, to have Jack Carlson and Jack San Felice spend a good deal of Friday evening with us. Jack Carlson stayed for dinner. The Towering Praline Pecan Carrot Cake went over....big time. :)

Also joining us this year were: Dick Walt and Howard Hornick. Dick is an "old timer" in the Superstitions and was a friend of Chuck Aylor. As a matter of fact, he was the main motivator and builder of Chuck's home in LaBarge Canyon. Obviously, he knew many of the modern-day Dutch Hunters. Great stories were told.

Howard is the "caretakeer and head wrangler" for the Quarter Circle-U Ranch. The owners, (Chuck and Judy Backus) were gracious hosts to everyone who came through the ranch on Saturday. Most of the folks at the Rendezvous went for a hike, seeking the gravesite of one of the "Two Soldiers". They believe they found it. I think Greg will be posting pictures. I think it was Greg who brought in Howard and arranged the trip through the Quarter Circle-U.

Some of the folks who wanted to attend last year, but couldn't for one good reason or another, made it a point to make this year's event.
That would be: Bushrat (Tom), Zentull (Wayne), Murphy (Jim), Randy Wright and James (Jim) Hamrick. The Rendezvous was vastly improved by their attendence. :)

The "jewell" in the crown of the Rendezvous, again this year, was "Grayhair". I did not ask his permission to post his name, and will not do so untill it is given. There are few places in those mountains that have not felt his boots moving through them.

Peter handed out his flyers for the new "Dutch Hunters Site" and it sounds like a well thought out and professional endeavor. He even gave one to me. :lol:

I am a little surprised to see that it is "moderated", since "someone" once called me, basically, un-American for suggesting that this site should be moderated. I have to agree with Garry, I also think it's a wonderful thing for the the Lost Dutchman Forum. I assume Peter will be one of the "moderators".

I will post some pictures of the weekend.

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I meant to post the following here, but in error posted it elsewhere and realized that topic could be removed before long.

Hope everyone had a great time. I had to leave after my family let me know my Mom wasn't doing well. It was great sharing stories with Joe, Jack Carlson, Roger, Randy, Jim and the others in the lower camp and sharing the campfire with LDM, Peter, Knun, Greg Davis and others up the hill. Making new friends and reacquainting with others was a treat.

My private tour of the Quarter circle U and walking in the footsteps of Tex, Brownie and Jim Bark was awesome. Got some Barkley era horse shoes already hanging in the garage. A big thank you to Howard and Judy for the tour and answering my questions.

Hearing the stories from Greg, LDM and the 2 Jacks was very nice as well.

If there was a very nice moment that could ice the cake it was Knun, Peter and I burning the midnight oil after everyone turned in.

Thank you Greg for arranging such a great place.

And by the way Lazarus it was a cool trip down memory lane. Thank you and the wife for the hospitality.

Only thing that could have topped it all was if Tracy and Clay could have made it.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Grayhair
Greenhorn

2006 Dutch hunters rendezvous

Post by Grayhair »

Joe, Thanks a Million for a really great time at the 2006 Dutch hunters rendezvous – a special thanks to your lovely wife Carolyn for putting up with old boots like you and me and your dear mother for all the fine cooking! That lady deserves a very special thanks from everyone that partook of her fine coking. I can truly say that I have not enjoyed carrot cake like what she cooked. I could have with out question consumed the entire cake in one sitting and then looked around for more.

It was really great to see old faces and to meet new – a very special thanks to my old friend and hiking partner Tom for having made the trip. I certainly hope that some of you will make the trip to New Mexico for a visit – My door is and always will be open to any of you that spent time in Joe’s camp. I never did make it to the higher elevations to the second camp – I just wasn’t dressed for the cooler climate - maybe I’ll bring ear muffs and jacket next year.

I regret not being there Saturday during the day – personal problems sometimes interfere with some of the greater enjoyments in life – hopefully this will not be the case next year. Joe, I know that many have crapped on you for your endeavors in making the last two Dutch Hunters Rendezvous a smashing success – piss on them and do not let that deter you from participating in next years event.

Grayhair
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Open Camp

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne,

It was great meeting you at this years Rendezvous. Hope your mom is doing better now.

"If there was a very nice moment that could ice the cake it was Knun, Peter and I burning the midnight oil after everyone turned in."

Glad to see that there was a highlight for you at this years event. Just goes to show that there is something for everyone at these events. If Wyatt had come in while everyone was there, instead of waiting until we were all away, he would have fit right in there.

Joe Ribaudo
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Certainly did enjoy meeting you and your wife. Things stabilized a bit yesterday, but the rollercoaster this summer hasn't been much fun. Running into Brad 20 some odd years down the road was a bit of a surprise. Damn we got old. Well, maybe just older.........and we still have our hairs....plural.

Anyone that missed out, missed a very nice outing. There was a bit of something for everyone and the conversations had their moments. Sorry I ran late and missed some of the earlier discussions, but you filled me in a bit, so it worked out.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Thanks

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Grayhair,

Having you there, and seeing your lovely bride again, was the highlight of my Rendezvous. There were many special people in our camp and a number of them would be considered "Giants". None are taller than you, my friend.

If the Rendezvous continues after this year, it will be without any efforts on my part. It was an honor for me to get it started and bring together old friends and create new ones.

Giving Peter a place to pass out his flyers was just a small part of the pleasure I got out of the event.

Having Murphy come all the way from Plano, TX to attend, shows the draw that such an event has. Roger has made the trip two years in a row. Jim Hamrick proved to be as much of a gentleman in person as he is on this site.

You owe me a visit.

Take care, and thank you for the kind words.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Well I sure had a great time! Plenty of suprises for sure. I'll never forget that weekend, meeting such great people all around. Thanks to Joe for the hospitality, and showing up when you did. I enjoyed the coffee and biscuits/gravy too! Also thanks to Peters camp for the Sat night dinner. I was looking around to make sure I was camping! Great good!

I'm really glad I got to make it this year, and am drinking coffee out of that mug right now :) It was an honor to meet/see the likes of Jack San Felice, Jack Carlson (I still feel silly for not knowing who he was right away, gotta get that book), Howard (what a character!), greyhair, LDM, Tom, Joe, Peter, knun, Wayne, Roger, and so many others. Everyone I met was great. It was good to see Greg again also. He's always fun to be around.

I sure learned a lot on this trip, and look forward to many more years spent with all of you. Hopefully next year I'll have some treasure to tell about 8O

Thanks to everyone for making it such a pleasurable event, can't wait for next year! Thanks more than anything to the Don's camp for letting us use the facility. Is there anywhere I can send a card?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Pictures

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

There are quite a few pictures in the Member Archive of the 2006 Dutch Hunters Rendezvous.

Still hoping to have some from Peter's camp. Pretty sure that someone must have taken some pictures up there. How about posting them?

If next year is bigger by the same ratio as the increase from last year, we may only be able to hold it at a place like the Don's Base Camp. That seems to be Matthew's assessment, and I believe he is right.

Jack San Felice's kind offer for holding it on the grounds of the Silver King Mine is another possibility. Wherever it's held, I would hope that only one camp will be necessary. If that requires me staying home to happen, I will do so. I expect one of my friends will send me pictures.

However it turns out, I am already looking forward to next years event.
Good friends.....Good stories.......Good food, and some pretty interesting pictures. :)

My thanks to everyone who made it a success.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Greg's Pictures

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Greg Davis was unable to post his pictures of the Rendezvous, so I posted them for him. Anyone with a real computer :lol: can post their pictures to the 2006 Album.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Names

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

A few people have asked me to put a name to the faces in Greg's pictures. There are a few that I don't remember, and some that did not feel the urge to introduce themselves. As they are Greg's photos, I will leave it to him to do the naming. Each of the pictures is numbered, so it should be no problem.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Changing History

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Greg Davis has passed along a request from the person in photo #11 of Greg's collection, to have his picture removed from the "Member Archive". As that is an historical record of who attended the 2006 Dutch Hunters' Rendezvous, I see no good reason to delete it.

If you didn't want your picture taken, you should have said so, rather than posing for the camera. :roll: Once Greg asked me to post his pictures, they became part of the "Member Archive".

I will leave the "childish" deletions to the children. The ability to remove/delete your posts from this Forum has been.....deleted. :lol:
"Good idea".

Greg has ignored the request to place names to his pictures. Perhaps someone should make that request....elsewhere.

Joe Ribaudo[/img]
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Correction

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

My mistake. That should be picture #10 instead of #11 in the above post.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Superstition Mountain Christmas

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

It was a little dissapointing not to see more pictures of the Rendezvous posted, but I have posted one more.

Carolyn took the picture that was on the shirts and cups, and had a nice throw made for my office. It turned out very nice and was a complete surprise for Christmas. :D

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and will have a great New Year.

Joe Ribaudo