2006 Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

I have been asked to select a date for the next Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous. We have the place picked out, just need a date.

Our October outing was just right, weather wise. I am open to suggestions, so let's have some input. If no one cares, I will set the date and hope it works for everyone.
Those who did not make the last Rendezvous will get their second chance here.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
murphy
Part Timer

Post by murphy »

Later in the mont works better for me. Where is the location?
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Rendezvous

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Murphy,

Unless I get a lot of input for another date, I am thinking of the weekend of Oct. 20th., 21st. and 22nd.

Greg Davis will let us know if the location we want is available for that weekend. It will be in the shadow of the Superstitions. :)

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

I hope to attend the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous one of these days but I'm only able to visit the Phoenix area in Jan, Feb & Mar. Hopefully I will be able to come down here in the fall and join you in the future.

Greg Kaiser
But hey.....Thats just Me....I could be wrong
sluicebox
Part Timer

Post by sluicebox »

Joe,
I was just wondering if you had given any more thought to the idea of having a professional on some subject (GPS,Rock Climbing etc.) make an apperance at the next LDR. The idea was thrown around some at the last campout as an added attraction. The small fee to pay for the professionals services would also cement a commitment on the part of the potential attendees and make it easier to plan. I'm not sure everyone would go along with a pay or don't play plan though. Is it too early to throw around this kind of idea and find out what others might think? Regards, Larry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Time

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Sluicebox,

I don't think it is too early to make plans.

I do like the idea of having some knowledgeable instructors in whatever field seems to hold interest for the people who make a commitment to attend.

I know instructors in GPS, Technical Rope Rescue and a number of other related subjects. I would want to pay their way and provide accomodations, if needed.

This would requuire early notification and a good deal of input from those who might be interested. The idea was always there, to have the Rendezvous grow into a major event. The small gatherings will continue to result from the friendships that develop at the Rendezvous.

A number of people who attended last Oct. are willing to devote some time and effort into this years event. What we will need, is input from those who want to be there.

If only the same people who showed up last year, make it this year, we will still have a great time. Depending on what we decide to do, that cost money, and the number of people who say they will show up, we will set a small fee that will be paid in advance.

If the members tell me what they want, I will work to get it done. I have the equipment and the ability to cook for a large crowd, if asked.

Respectfully,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
Part Timer

2nd Lost Dutchman Rendezvous

Post by Roger »

Joe,

Put my name on the list for the 2nd Annual Lost Dutchman Rendezvous. I would vote for late in October this year again as the weather was fairly pleasant.

My vote would NOT to have a special topics presentation at our campout. We only spent 2 nights and 3 days together last year and I am more interested in spending time with the group of Lost Dutchman experts and discussing the lore and history of the LDM. This is our common bond and interest. I still have a batch of questions/topics that I want to get into this year - will make a list and be better prepared in advance this year so my areas of interest get covered to the extent possible.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Votes

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

I agree that those discussions were what the rendezvous was really all about. Looking for the scrapings was secondary.

Not sure that having a class on GPS would interfere with those talks, but too much structured activities might get in the way. I had not thought of it that way.

The number of people who actually show will also be a factor on what goes on.

I think the date I gave will probably end up being good.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Take care.

Respectfully,

Joe
murphy
Part Timer

Post by murphy »

Joe,
Those dates work for me, and I agree that nothing to structured is a good idea. However, being "in the shadow of the Superstitions" some kind of group outing might be in order.
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Dates

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I am going with Oct. 20th., 21st. and 22nd. for this years Rendezvous.
Wanted to make sure we picked a date early enough to get the camp reserved. That also gives you plenty of time to make plans.

Once we get approved for those dates, I will let you know where we will be camped.

For those who were not at the last Rendezvous, you will find that I did what I said I would do and was there when I said I would be there. When I make a commitment, you can take it to the bank. I expect the same from every other man.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Place

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I received an e-mail from Greg Davis last night and he has been successful in obtaining permission for us to use the Don's Camp for this year's Rendezvous.

That should make it easier for a lot of folks to attend the party. The dates reserved are the ones mentioned in my last post. More details will follow as we get closer to October. Questions can be posted to this topic.

Our thanks to Greg and the folks from the Don's Camp.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Joe,

Let me know where to send the check (and the $$ amount of course).

And thanks for everything ..........
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Fees

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

The dates for the 2006 Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous remain Oct. 20th., 22nd. and the 23rd. They won't be changing.

Greg Davis and I will be working on the details and will have it pretty well ironed-out in the next few months. One of the things we will settle on, is a fee for the event. I want to make it high enough to discourage the "less than sure" from commiting and then blowing it off at the last minute and low enough to not exclude anyone.

Right now, I am leaning towards $25. for a fee. Once again I will provide home made stew and garlic toast for Friday night and Italian Sausage Gravy with home made biscuits for breakfast Saturday morning. I will donate those meals to the event.

I don't want to make any money from the event, so I will try to include a T-shirt and coffee mug in your fee. If anyone want's extras, I will have the invoice with me, and you can order as many as you want at my cost.

Last year we had over thirty people who commited and only thirteen showed up. The knowledge and experience of those who made it, was awesome, to say the least. A great many topics concerning the LDM and the Superstition Mountains were discussed, which had never seen the inside of a publication.

Since I am sure my reputation will preceed me, I am hoping that Greg Davis will work at getting some of the GIANTS of the Dutch Hunting Community, who did not make it last year, to attend. I will try to get Tracy Hawkins to show up, if his health allows. We will be close enough that Ron Feldman and his family may be able to drive over for a visit. Busy time of the year for them.

I am looking forward to meeting a lot of the members of the Forum who were not able to show up last year. You all have plenty of time to make your plans.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Where is Don's camp?

I'll be there, unless I'm locked in a cave with rockstars and can't escape. I love biscuits and gravy :D
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The Dons camp is at the southern end at the Peralta canyon/trailhead area, just below the Dacite cliffs. It is clearly marked on most maps. It is an excellent choice as there is unlimited access for any vehicle. I used to beg as a kid to go down for the annual fireworks display down the cliffs. Perhaps Greg Davis will post something concerning the Dons history prior to the rendevous. Thank you Joe and Greg for all your efforts. I look forward to seeing everyone this year.

See that is the problem with the boys behind the glass. They eat funny stuff, can't read everyones mind and lose all their hair early sweating out the small stuff. Just give the boys a map of local strip clubs and you wont see or hear from them for a week. Worse case scenario blame the manager, its part of their job description.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Pictures

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

For those who attended the last Rendezvous, I would like to post some pictures in the "Member Archive". If anyone objects to that, please let me know ASAP. If I get no objections, I will assume it's OK.

I will go ahead and start the album with pictures of Carolyn, Mark and myself.

Zen,

I am looking forward to meeting you in October.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Dons Camp

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

This information is from the The Dons Club web site:

The Dons Club Base Camp is located at the foot of the east end of the Superstition Mountains on a 30 acre site leased from the U.S. Forest Service. It is about 50 miles east of Phoenix via Highway 60. It is accessible using Peralta Road. Adjacent to the Peralta Trailhead and the Superstition Wilderness, the camp provides a wonderful setting for a back to nature experience. From any perspective at the camp, there are stunning views of the towering cliffs of the Superstition Mountains and the saguaro-studded upper Sonoran Desert. An abundant array of desert plant life, and occasional visits by wildlife, provide a close up look at the rugged and grandiose beauty of the Southwest.
The Base Camp is a dry camp with no running water nor electricity. However, water can be transported to the site and electrical generation is possible. Camper hook up facilities are not available.

Located at the site are the following permanent structures:
A 1600 seat amphitheater

Permanent men’s and women’s restrooms

Two large ramadas - one with a massive center fireplace

Food preparation and serving areas

A large parking area

Several permanent, covered display buildings

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never been there, but it sounds like a nice to place swap lies. :lol:

Having the restrooms will make it a little easier on the wives and kids. It will also be easy to get to the camp, and back into town for a getaway from excessive LDM talk. Excessive is defined as, not stoping to eat or sleep. :lol:

ATVs are allowed, but speed will be restricted inside the camp boundries.

I am looking forward to this year's Rendezvous, and trust the location and facilities will bring a few more participants.

Take care,

Joe
murphy
Part Timer

2006 Dutch Hunters Rendezvous

Post by murphy »

Joe,
Thanks for all your efforts towards the Rendezvous! Can't wait!
murphy
dutchman49
Greenhorn

Post by dutchman49 »

HI JOE ,IT WOULD BE GREAT FOR A GREENHORN LIKE ME TO GO TO THE DUTCHHUNTERS RENDEZVOUS,BUT WORK AT THE MOMENT MAKES IT DIFFICULT . IF I CAN MAKE IT AT THE LAST MOMENT AND IT IS OK WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO . I WILL BE WITH MY SON,HE IS 20 YEARS OLD.REGARDS DUTCHMAN49 AKA RICARDO ORDONEZ.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

How Do It Work?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ricardo,

Glad to hear you are considering making the trip.

I don't expect we will have that many people coming from out of state, so I would have no problem refunding those folks their money. I would want to know at least one week before the event, but would not hold you to that.

The bulk of the participants, I assume, will be from Arizona and I would expect them to show if they make the comitment. Don't want to make any money, so if I know early enough not to spend any on folks who can't make it, I will send the money back.

We will be charging $25. per. person for the event. If that's a problem for anyone, let me know. One dinner (Friday night) and biscuits and gravy for breakfast will be a for sure, and on me.
I Hope to see you there.

Take care,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Should that be cash, check or Dutchman ore you will be accepting Joe?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Anything Will Do

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Zen,

You could add...."vintage book" to the possibilities. :lol:

For you, Zen, it's whatever you wish. :wink:

For those who have asked where to send the twenty-five bucks, you can mail it to:

Joe Ribaudo
2125 McCulloch Blvd. Ste. B
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

928-855-8655

Will try to see if we can get both a T-shirt and a coffee cup for that money. I will post a picture of last years shirt and mug. I know....corny,
but it's so me. :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo

P.S. If anyone would prefer to send their money to Greg Davis, that would be fine with me. Don't yell at me Greg...... :lol:
djui5
Expert

Re: Anything Will Do

Post by djui5 »

Joe Ribaudo wrote: P.S. If anyone would prefer to send their money to Greg Davis, that would be fine with me. Don't yell at me Greg...... :lol:

If we can pay Greg, that would be great :) I'll just pay him then.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Spoke Too Soon

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

Sorry, I spoke out of turn there. Greg is too tied up at work to handle taking in the money.

Unless someone else wants to jump in here, it looks like I am it. Only running two businesses here, so I have lots of free time. :lol: Just kidding, don't think it will take too much effort to cash the checks and put the money in a fruit jar. I will keep a list of those who have paid.

The list will be posted here and updated as folks confirm.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Ok :)

I forgot to ask, it's ok that I come right? This isn't some "invite only" kinda deal is it? I'm new...so I just wanna make sure I'm not being the annoying guy who invites himself to the party :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari