New and clueless needs your recommendations!

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Scoots
Greenhorn

Post by Scoots »

Hello everybody,

I'm rather new and clueless to the Lost Dutchman Mine legend.

I remember watching Bill Burrud's TV show, Treasure, on the LDM when I was a little kid in the early 60's, but how was a six year old in Oregon going to make it to Apache Junction??
http://www.burrud.com/adventure1.htm

Well, I'm still in Oregon and I still have an interest in the LDM. I've read up a little on the LDM on internet sites and some on this forum, but I'm about as confused as I ever was.

Here's what I can recall at the moment:

There was a Jacob Waltz ..... no, it was Jacob Waltzer
There was a Peralta family ..... no, no Peraltas or land grants
The lost mine is around the Superstition Mts. ..... no, it's in a flooded cave of the Salt River canal (??? where'd this one come from!)

The list goes on. I've read a number of your posts, but there are so many characters that I'm not familiar with, that they all end up running together, and then I have no idea what I just read.

Can you help me out? What are the three books that you would recommend on the LDM that would get "New and Clueless" up to speed?

Thanks for your help and good hunting!
There's another loose screw in the nut factory!
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Hello. I don't post much but I enjoy reading the opinions of some of the seasoned veterans that partake in this forum.

As far as your questions are concerned, I think it best for you to read a few of the GOOD books relating to the LDM (there are dozens of not-so-good books).

Here is a good start:

The Killer Mountains by Curt Gentry
The Lost Dutchman Mine by Sims Ely
The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz by T.E. Glover

These are my top three choices for a good overview. It would be interesting for other members to post their top three.

Enjoy the books.
late49er
Part Timer

three good books

Post by late49er »

Hello Scoots,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find your adventure here rewarding.

Let`s see three good books.

1. Sims Ely, "The Lost Dutchman Mine"
2. Carlson/Stewart, "Hiker`s Guide to the Superstitions"
3. Roger McPherson, "Modern Prospecting"

Just keep in mind every work dealing with the LDM has an element of historical fiction in it. Some more colorful than others. And never lose sight a gold deposit is first and foremost a geological phenomena. Connecting Waltz to the phenomena is the challenge.

Enjoy yourself and have a great time.

Regards,

Late49er
Scoots
Greenhorn

Post by Scoots »

Thanks for the replies.

Going thru some more of the posts on this forum, it looks like the books by Ely and Glover are worth beginning with.

I hope they can get me up to speed with some of you fellahs, so that I can better understand what your posts are about.
There's another loose screw in the nut factory!