Just A Note In Time........

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Just A Note In Time........

Post by Gene Reynolds »

I am sending this note to all my friends here at LDM . .. At least I have had the time to do so rather than leave unexpectedly....... This letter has been sent to my sister just minutes ago....... and I thought it only fair to be upfront with you - my friends - rather than take the back door out. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the good news -I finally found a place in the medical dictionary that answers all the symptoms I have. The sad thing is - it's now to late to fix the problem....... 5 years ago when a Doctor John R. Simpson looked at me throat with a TV camera - had he seen the problem and not missed it - I would have a chance. I have all his records.......He should be sued for killing me... It's murder in my opinion.......

Throat Cancer Symptoms are related to other head and neck cancer symptoms.
Common throat cancer symptoms are a lump or sore that does not heal, a sore throat that does not go away, difficulty swallowing, a change in the sound of the voice, and a new hoarseness in the voice.

Other Symptoms

Tell your doctor about any throat cancer symptoms you are feeling.

Throat cancer symptoms, and head and neck cancer symptoms, may also include trouble breathing, trouble with speaking, pain in the ears and frequent headaches. Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also include sinuses that are blocked and will not clear. Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also include bleeding through the nose, pain in the upper teeth, headaches, and swelling in the eyes. Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also include chronic sinus infections that do not go away when treated with antibiotics.

Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also include numbness or paralysis of the muscles in the face.
Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also include pain that does not go away in the face.
Throat cancer symptoms and head and neck cancer symptoms may also trouble pain that does not go away in the neck.
There is more to learn about throat cancer symptoms. If you have any of these throat cancer symptoms, it is important that you see your doctor.
One test your doctor may use to determine if your throat cancer symptoms are being caused by cancer is an endoscopy. When presented with throat cancer symptoms, your doctor may also run laboratory tests and x-rays.

Tonight - while getting a haircut - I all of a sudden got nausea - started getting clammy - and nearly passed out before I could make it to the bedroom to lie down - That was 4 hours ago. I just now got up.

I have the majority of the above symptoms - Sadly , I believe I am in the final stage of it...... I have zero energy. Once I get up in the morning I have no more than 3 hours of time that I have some energy to do things.. after that - my neck is to swollen - trouble with breathing - pain in the neck and ears and face as well as numbness all the way to the top of my head now.

I believe it all started in the throat 5 or 6 years ago, and 5 or 6 months ago started to go to the stomach where I have since had diarrhea. I have also found out recently that Nexium the pill I take for Gaul has never been tested as long as what I have been taking it perhaps 5 years or more and may have contributed to the cancer as well as smoking by eating away at the esophagus.

There is no wonder there are so many mal-practice suits out there....... Doctors are not only sloppy with their efforts but careless as well - after all - you are just a pay check and a number to them. The more numbers - the fatter the pay check and the nicer the home and car they can buy. There is no longer personal interest or caring as the family doctors of old once were. I wonder if their approach would be any different if it were they're life they mis-diagnosed?

In conclusion: Must we all die needlessly or further in advance than we should because of the carelessness of doctors? Do we always have to get a triple opinion of the common cold because of the neglectfulness or incompetence of doctors?

The doctors I have used the past 5 years have all failed - the signs were all there - there was no mystery - and a good doctor should have seen the signs and perhaps I could be with these little guys a few more years or even a few more months would have been nice. Donnie is only 12 and will have many problems with his soon to come operation for scoliosis and I won't be there to help him through the hard times. Jacob is only 7 - I will not see him become 8.

I am sad and sick at the same time that my life has to come to an end so soon. I want to live and enjoy everything around me and everyone. The past month - my health has dropped so fast that I don't think I will make it another month. I am quickly running out of energy form one day to the next. Soon I will have to accept my fate and give up when I no longer have the strength to hold on any longer. All I can do is spend as much time as I can with the kids and then slip quietly on to whatever is next....... But if there is any way - I will always in my heart be with the kids , forever. After all these invincible years, I now realize that we are not invincible and will all leave this short period of time in space for the next voyage.

With tears in my heart, I sign of now , and if you ever see a little kid in the street with scoliosis, give him a smile for me please - after all - it may be My Little Donnie.........................

Gene Reynolds
Writer of Borrego 13
late49er
Part Timer

doctors

Post by late49er »

Gene,

May god bless and take care of you.

It is a sad state of affairs when folks in the medical profession practice their craft in such a manner.

Really enjoyed reading your book. One paragraph in particular I hope most folks don`t notice too closely. It answers a lot of questions.

Stay safe.

Regards,

Late49er
murphy
Part Timer

Just a note in time

Post by murphy »

Gene,
My wife has had a variety of medical problems for years and we have also experienced the incompetance of the medical profession. From laboratories and technicians to Doctors and nurses. You should always question your Doctor about your treatment, most people don't, trusting that the years of training that he has means he knows all. The problem is that no doctor can retain all the knowledge from his schooling and have a practice and keep up with all of the new research in procedures, drugs, and other treatments. Don't know the solution.
Thank you Gene for thinking of us when you have your own issues to deal with. Sharing information like this may help save a life. Thank you also for sharing that smoking contributed to your condition. I have lost several family members and friends to smoking and hope that others will not go down that road.

God Bless, our prayers are with you.
murphy
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Bump
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The "Bump"

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thomas,

Thank's for putting Gene back on the front burner. He is on a hard trail right now, and needs all the good wishes and prayers we can send his way.

Like you, I have sent my thoughts to Gene privately. I am certain that others have done the same thing.

Gene is from the old school. When problems have come his way, he kicked some ass, had a cool one.... and kept on trucking. This might be his biggest fight, but he will face it....eye to eye.

We are all in his corner.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Got back from the doc- - - - -

Post by Gene Reynolds »

I just got back from the doc - we talked for awhile - and he said - you and I were both wrong - it wasn't at all what we both thought - GREAT NEWS _ YOU DON"T HAVE CANCER!

That stunned me - and it was great news. ......... but - then what is wrong? You have a lot of problems but at least I found no CANCER anywhere ........ It seems that you have a hole in your diaphram from to much reflux and ............. he went on and explained all the other things of which I have no idea what the hell he was talking about....... ( I had a feeling this would happen so I tape recorded every thing he said) and have played it 3 times now and still don't know what he's talking about - other than the heart is weak and not puting out enough oxegen and that I may have a blockage somewhere. It will take me all night to make any sense of all this - but the jest so far is - he wants to do surgery and wrap my stomach around the hole or my esopagus and make a splintar of which he says I was born without and now has me set up for all day Thursday to do more tests on the Gallblatter because he says it's distended and I have a stone caught in the cystic duc. - and may want to take it out.........and Then he said I would have to learn to eat all over again Because the splinter he makes (probably out of a log he wittled) will do certain things and I will have to eat mushy foods for a couple of weeks until it functions and heals properly.

I stopped him and asked him to breath for a minute because he has me out of breath.! - - - - Then he went on......... of course you won't ever eat a big meal again - but you'll get used to that and it won't be so bad. Hell - he was still talking as I turned the tape recorder off. As Igot to the desk I asked he if theirs anything he forgot........ ? Oh yes - and he went on - by this time i was about to fall asleep.

Honestly - I am not sure if I'm happy or want to strangle him!

BUT

He still didn't have an answer to why my neck swells! Or why there's a lump there all the time when he says he sees nothing there. or why my ears go numb - or why my face goes numb at different times and places or why I have headaches constantly or why I am so dizzy most ofthe time and the nausa - Why?

All he seems to have done to find all the problems that I didn't even know I had - or things that weren't bothering me to start with.

I still have the same problems I started with and at least I have one solid answer - or is it - He says I don't have cancer - if true - I am of course gratefull = But then what do I have? There's not much left to check - wait - let me look in the closet - I may have a third leg I forgot about...

More later as I try to understand it all and make some sense out of it............

By the way - Thank each and every one of you for your kind letters both here and private - they mean a lot..........

Gene
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Respect

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Winter is a slow time for the Forum. Everyone who is able, is in the mountains. Most are focused on what they are working on and don't really want to discuss that work with the public.

A short time ago we lost a good friend and, out of respect, the small talk took a dive. Some of the "heads" who were working to destroy this Forum made numerous attempts to change the topic and focus of the members by introducing new topics. It seems, when that did not work, they moved on.

For some of us, who are no longer able to put our boots on the ground we loved, we are living vicariously through our healthier friends. For me, I also enjoy hearing the adventures of those who might be considered "not such good friends", like Peter, Wiz and a legion of "others".

As the pain of living advances with age, many people focus more and more on themselves. While Gene has every right to retreat into a shell of self protection, he chooses to speak out and warn his friends. He worries over the "kids".

Many of us, and I believe that would include Gene, really enjoy reading the comments made on this Forum. Our minds still work and we can still see new things in the posts. Good.....Bad and hey, I never thought of that. 8O

Gene recently told me to "keep hunting". Can't help but think he would also enjoy watching the LDM Forum keep digging.

This is all my personal opinion, and others may have another, but I will keep hunting till the lights go out.

Respectfully,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
late49er
Part Timer

The Doctor

Post by late49er »

Gene,

Outstanding!

God sometimes works in mysterious ways. Seems you have more of the most importent commodity that a human being can possess. That being time.

Time to love your children, Time to ponder and reflect on a good life, Time to find the lost dutchman or whatever it is that you set out to do.

When I think of you Gene I think of what Robert Boyle, in my opinion the greatest gold mining geologist of our generation, said in dedicating a famous work of his:

"This book is dedicated to all those who have moiled for gold in the rain and cold and under the tropic sun, and have used their winnings wisely."

Gene. this bud is for you.

Regards,

Late49er
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good News!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

Even the medical books can be wrong. Who can we trust? :wink:

I left in the middle of my last post, so I did not notice that you had posted while I was gone.

Great news! No place to go from here, but up.

Keep trucking!

Joe
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

Gene,
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear that while you still have issues with your health that Cancer is not one of them. I've sat here for the last few days trying to come up with some words that might help in some way but I just couldn't. My heart knew what I wanted to say but my feable brain just couldn't type it. I arrived here in Phoenix late last week to do some poking around in the Superstition's but I've only made it as far as Apache Junction. I couldn't go in.......it just didn't seem important. It dawned on me that the treasure in those Mountains isn't worth a Tinker's Damn compared to the real treasure that so many of us take for granted.....Our Health. I've spent the last few days thinking about things far more rewarding then a hole in the ground. Well this may sound stupid....... but Thank You for posting about your health...... I can only speak for myself but it has helped me (and I hope it has other's). I will continue my search for the LDM and I hope that someday I'll be able to post something here that will be helpful (or at least interesting) as you have. I read the posts here from people like you Gene, Ron, Peter, Bill, Joe, Roger, Dr. Glover, Greg, Wiz and all the other poster's that I haven't mentioned and I only hope I can someday be at your level.

Again.....I'm so glad to hear that the Doctor was wrong.
Stay strong Gene.

Greg Kaiser
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Just a quick one

Post by Gene Reynolds »

To all of you (My Children- cute)

Thanks so much for all your kind thoughts and PM's.....

and GK = and I only hope I can someday be at your level.

My friend - GK - you have always been at my level - all of us are - we are all on the same level - we are all friends working together on the same project = friendship and a way to try solving a mystery... We are are equalls here - no one any better than the other - some just have a better knowledge of the situation than others........That's why Ron and others started this forum - to educate everyone and have open discussions. We are all one looking for answers - working together.

There is not one of you here I wouldn't be proud to meet. In fact - I am trying now to see if it is possible for me to make a trip west - to Arizona. If the funds are available - I would like to come there for a visit for a few weeks and then on to Borrego for a last look and perhaps a home movie. I know I can get there - just not sure yet how to get back. I think the car requires gas both ways! I have an SUV that can hold 9 people - I thought it would be nice to see Borrego again too and maybe get some friends together and go there - it's only 7 or 8 hours from Phoenix. We could see where the Peralta's worked a known area and easily drive up to it. NO CLIMBING - when you already know where it's at. The mines easy to get to. If you can see first hand where they were - it might be a little easier to understand the way they did things in the Superstitions. If you keep in mind how they worked (with hundreds of people at a time) and you have a couple hundred here - who know what logic can come about if you are really interested in finding a mine in the Superstions. With a hundred people working in unison and a plan - The Arizona Mine Would Be Found especialy when you already have a good idea where it is. Time and have enough of itis the most important ingredient - then mix in a good plan with a little common sence and effort - and the key - never give up - and you will find it. I have done to much work in the past to think it could be a hoax. I believe it's there - and may have been walked over or close to many times. Hell, it took me weeks to find the mine in Borrego because I started wrong and planned it wrong. I have learned a great deal from past mistakes.

I believe there is far more intellect here in this group than you guys are giving yourselves credit for. You are just not organized. If you all were organized and working together for the same goal and without a subliminal thought of greed - you guys would already have solved this puzzle long ago.

Wether you start getting together now or in the future is up to you - you have an oportunity while there are people like Thomas and Greg and Joe and many others here still alive and extremely knowlegable to help perform and organize anything you need - and I have no doubt that if you had a good plan that was resonable - Ron and his dad.....

If you don't do something soon - some day - the little old lady from Pasadena in going to buy some land - build a house with a view - and say -"well I'll be darned - Look what I found in the basement - a tunnel - wonder where it goes Fred!

Think about it guys ----------- For now - Gene

Something I wanted to mention some time ago and didn't - Roger had a post recently that he drew a comclusion on after puting his thoughts together - on the direction he would go and what he would look for - I thought it was brilliant - and it also closely matches a map I took from the Ruth home over 30 years ago........ just for what it's worth - Gene
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Still Working

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

You have proved my point. While the body creaks and groans, the mind
keeps working. The drive/need to find answers to old questions is hard to beat down.

I have said the same thing many times. The collective knowledge on this Forum could solve the puzzle of the LDM if they could work as a team. Even though that seems impossible, I believe it could be done. Not that you could get everyone together, but enough to get the desired results.

It has, of course, been done many times on a small scale. They have all failed, as far as we know.

One of the reasons for putting the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous together, was to bring some of those minds to one place (non-threatning) at one time. The hope was, that from that meeting new friendships and new teams would be formed.

Not only were those hopes realized, on a small scale, but the seeds were planted for next year's event. Spending the weekend talking to such knowledgeable people, on a subject that we are all (pretty much) consumed by, seems like a no-brainer to me. Where do I sign up? If we can do it in the shadow of the Superstitions, so much the better.

In every endeavor there seems to be those who are talkers and those who are doers. I believe the doers are the ones who showed up for the first Rendezvous. It is likely that those Dutch Hunters will be the ones whos ideas and participation will carry this years camp out.

For those who could not make it last year, you will have plenty of time to plan for this year's event. Perhaps the people who have not yet met, will be the ones to solve the mystery.

Glad you are still "hunting", Gene. Like I said, for me it will continue until the lights go out.

Respectfully,

Joe
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Jeez, Gene, I just logged on for the first time in weeks, and I see this! Thank God it turned out not to be cancer! All that stuff you said sounds a HELL of a lot better than dying of cancer.

You have looked death in the eye and come to terms with it, and then walked away from the experience. A lot of us have been in sudden, impending death situations; you had time to chew it over and think about it. It must have changed you somehow, inside. Can you share anything with us?

Welcome back!
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Terms = ?

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Wiz - There is no easy answer.......

Wiz = You have looked death in the eye and come to terms with it, and then walked away from the experience. It must have changed you somehow, inside. Can you share anything with us?

There is no way to describe how it feels - but I will try......

About 9 years ago, I was clearing 3 acres with a pushmower at 90 degrees plus. I had just finished when I felt a little sick to my stomach. I laid down for awhile and later in the night awoke and felt bad and weak so, I went back to bed. The next day I had no energy and took several naps. The next day I felt just as bad and went to the hospital to see what might be wrong. They did a quick EKG and told me I had had a heart attack. They kept me 5 days before I was finally released. They told me I had a 100% blockage in the main artery at the bottom of the heart taking blood to the rest of my body and that I needed to get my life in order, for I might live to Christmas and it was October. I don't know how I can explain that to you to make you understand how I felt - but I was slightly less that terrified.

I knew I was going to die soon and for the first time in my life I realized I had no control over it. This now was no joke and not as simple as putting a new carburator on a car and going on. First came scared all to hell - which lasted maybe a week - then came mad as hell. Then came everything else all at one time. I have to make a will - and what about the kids - what can I do in a short time for them? Then I realized - nothing that would count. I am mad as hell and not ready to die.

Then I had a talk with God and it was lenthy. I was never extremely religious but then I never denied the fact that he might exsist. I made him a promise - that if he would let me live a while longer, I would do my best to get Donnie to know him by taking them to church and helping them as long as I could - go through life on the right track. ( Jacob wasn't born yet ).

Christmas came and went - and I am still alive and in fact felt pretty good. I am still waiting and nerveously expecting to go at any time now. I had ruined my credit by charging what I could for the kids mainly and not paying the cards because I was going to die because my doctor told me I would be lucky to make it to Christmas.

After a few more months passed and still feeling ok - I decided to see a different heart doctor to find out when I was going to die. I explained everything to him and he was pissed (just to put it mildly) He said he was going to have a talk with the doctor that told me all this and he looked red and mad. He was to get back to me. He did too! I had a call from him the next day and he was now my doctor and has been ever since. He never told me what he said to him but I felt his tension when I asked the question. He did tell me that he was repremanded for saying what he did - and told me that the reason I could not be operated on was - it would be more blood than my system could handle all of a sudden and I would probably bleed to death internally. He told me that people like this can live another 20 -25 years with a proper diet.

So, Wiz - that was the first time I died a 100 times in a few months.

Then I had the stroke! Had it twice in a month before I realized something else was now wrong. They did a coroted artery - Something or other on me = it's only 6 hours under a sheet over your head and legs and arms tied to where you couldn't move at all. (head too) They keep you awake through it all talking to you to make sure they didn't kill you or paralize you or turn you into a vegetable. They cut your neck open (about 4 inches long) and do the operation. No Need to go on.

I new they would kill me - but again I survived. I have never prayed so much and asked so many undeserving favors.

I have since had a total of 9 angio plasty's and one surgery (of last week).

Wiz - I am so used to " Dieing " that I don't know which way is up anymore. I have so many problems that I can no longer figure out which one is the most important to handle first. Last week - both the doctor and I thought I had cancer........ but we ended up both being wrong. That was a blessing.

As I continue to learn more about my now problems - I am having a hard time rationalizing them out. I have gaul blatter test I'm doing tomorrow - 4 hours worth or thereabout, the gaul blatter was bad 30 years ago - as well as distended, bleeding, and stones caught in the cystic duc - I was told then - due to the bleeding - I would not make it through the week end. They were wrong again but that's another story.

This new doc - says my diaphram has a hole in it and may be the reason I am having trouble breathing. I also have a hi-adle hernia and the reflux has eaten a hole in my diaphram so - he wants to do a surgery to turn my stomach around = ? (that's what he said) and make me a splinter, (he says I was born without one) and do something with the hernia - place part of my stomach over the hole in my diaphram so I can breath.... Then he tells me to think it over - it's not an emergency.!!! Now my heart doc wants me to do a stress test that he told me don't do with another heart doc a few months back because he said it could kill me. I guess he just wants to be the one.

So Wix - How do I explain what it feels like to think you might be going to die? Hell, I been going to die nearly every day for the past 9 years - or more.

You get attacks of fear, of regret that you can't do more, you get mad, you even shed tears at times, angry at the whole world, - but then you also have those silent times when you want to be alone and then a little kid comes in the room and asks you - are you ok - I love you.! Then all you can do is hold him as tight as you can - give him a kiss on the cheek - and say - I love you too!

So you see Wiz - there is no easy one liner that will answer your questions... There's a world of one liners and then some..... Everyone will be different....... There are so many things I could tell you but there is no way you can totally understand - but one day you will.

The best piece of advice I can give you - is to make friends with God - and for some reason - that I can't explain - you will have peace when there is none, even though the world is falling down all around you.

All my problems have unbelieveably come from only one thing = FOOD
My lungs are good after 45 years on smoking......

My second best piece of advice - watch what you eat - if you eat wrong - you will die much sooner than you should. Look above and read this again -every problem I have is due to FOOD.

For now my friends - if you are wise - please learn from my mistakes - Start young - teach your kids the right way to eat and the right foods. The only time it's to late to learn is when you aren't breathing.....

I hope this helps in some small way - if only one of you listens and follows this advice - you will have a much better life.

For now - take care - Gene
Last edited by Gene Reynolds on Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Writer of Borrego 13
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

My God, Gene! You have been toting a load that would crush a dozen men. Thanks for sharing your feelings with me. As it happens, I too had an experience when I thought I only had months to live, and I had my own reckoning. All was well in the end, and it was nothing so horrible as your tale, but I understand what you're saying to some small degree.
God bless you, my friend. I'm keeping you in my thoughts. You're a good man.
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

More news -

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Thanks again for all the pm's - on the Peralta issue - that is still a closed issue for now - it may be open soon - especialy if I can get to Arizona and back - (read earlier statments) PERALTA is the only word on the cover of the book - I don't know who wrote it - just a guess - part of the family - probably proud of the family history.

If I come to Arizona = it has to be that I leave here on the first of March. Can return - ?

I just got back from the F Hospital again - had to take the kids with me. They ran a Nuclear test and Sonogram on Gaul Blatter. Results I knew before the Doctor. It's bad and posioning my system - has to come out - no choice. Just called him on the phone - says he's booked up until after March 7th - trying now to find out if it can wait about 6 weeks or until I get back from Arizona........ or is it that important....... I may just take it out myself - I have to much to do right now to play games with it. I just have to learn how to sharpen these kitchen knives better.

Hey Roger - something for you - east to west or west to east = That means the mountain then has to run North to South - If I can get there - I will put you on the spot and perhaps even the correct mountain. It's where I would go - if I were able. All of you guys have missed it in some older past postings of mine. Except for one person............Roger - you made an ealier post - I mentioned it - it was a brilliant deduction - and it matches closely the map I found - my past statements have been overlooked last year - I hate typing and will not do it unless I have something to say - some important some not - but look over the past.

If I were looking for a passage that no one else has found lately - then why hasn't it been founf? Is it in a place that might require a risky climb? or a hard to get to area? Look at an area that is both but, also high, and towards the middle - you must go up to come down - I know same old same old - but I know where I want to go and which area and If I'm wrong then Ruth was full of you know what.!

Hang in - talking to the doc soon - got the gas to get there so far - but still working on the gas to get back - Lord - Help me sell some computers!!! Later - Gene
Writer of Borrego 13
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

This is the last statement

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Tuesday February 21, 2006

I have all the tests back now - The problems are now very clear...

I have apparently what's called Gerd. This has taken days of research to figure out what the doc was talking about and I might ad - he did not explain well and went through it quickly I feel so that he would make it sound simple and non complex. In other words - he was very vague about it and I don't like his simplified way of twisting the truth to make it sound like an every day occurrence when in fact my research has turned up just the opposite.

In my case I have Gerd and that was caused by to much acid reflux (heartburn) from the stomach. The stomach acid ate through the wall of my diaphragm and made a hole in it. (The Nexium didn't work as said on TV) The diaphragm is what helps you breath when you inhale and exhale. To further enhance things - I have a Hiadle Hernia - that is when the stomach pushes through the hole in your diaphragm - it can enter your esophagus and if there long enough can cause cancer and death. This is why I always feel as though there is something in my throat. It is at a stage that leaves nothing left but surgery. The proper way of surgery is: You take the stomach and raise it to the esophagus, wrap it around the esophagus and stitch it there. Then you fix the hernia - if it's a sliding hernia which seems to be what I have you pull the stomach down (out of the esophagus) (Perhaps in a different order than I am explaining here) and stitch it - to fix the hole in the stomach - there are materials made to stitch that in place.

Now for the Gall Blatter (which is a separate operation) It has to be taken out in my case because the stone I have caught in the cystic duc for more than 30 years is 2.1 centimeters or millimeters (whatever) is to large for radiation and breaking it up, and has been blocking the Gall Blatter from working and if not done in a timely manner can cause gang green and eventually death. That's why they are saying the Gall Blatter is now diseased.

Operations on Gall Blatters and rather common and usually present little problems or complications. Operations such as The Gerd and the rest of the stomach/diaphragm/esophagus etc. are not as simple. Mine is about a 4 hour operation and has it's complications. If you have a highly experienced doctor in this field, the success rate is usually around 50%. In other words this is not an operation that is easy to do nor does it have a high rate of success. Many people have problems after the operation and have to go back for more corrective surgery because it wasn't done right to start with or the stomach fell back down or other complications to numerous to go into. Then after all this surgery - you can only eat mushy foods for 6 weeks and not much at a time. You will lose from 20 to perhaps up to 40 pounds (depending) ?? You will never again sit down to the table and eat a regular meal (Like On Thanksgiving day) because your stomach will fill quickly. You have to eat a lot of small meals daily for the rest of your life and you must chew your food to extremes before swallowing.

Now we come to the heart......... This is the best part.......... my heart is getting weaker and not pumping enough oxygen to supply the body properly. It is because of all the artery problems and lower heart valve etc. (All are clogged constantly) I have had 9-angio plasty’s in 9 or 10 years - and 5 stent placements. The heart cannot be fixed. When it gets to the point of clogged enough - it will stop and of course - it's over.

Everyone was happy when the results came back - no cancer - and of course - so was I. Then a week later, after a big high - the rest finally comes in and the big high faded quickly.

I don't know what the short-term future is going to bring - but it does look rather bleak. I have to much right now to think about and not a great deal of time to make decisions. Therefore, whatever I decide to do in the future might be a sudden change of mind - and a sudden move, but it will be thought out carefully, before I make the decision 'What's best'. I am rather sure I will get the Gall Blatter taken out and the stone - I am not sure when. I am unsure about the rest.

At this time in my life - I don't know that suggestions would help; I already have a turmoil going on inside myself - looking for the right answer. Whatever I do ain't gonna be right anyway -but if left alone - I am sure I will come up with something - be it right or wrong may not even matter much at this stage.

For Now, take care,

Gene Reynolds
Writer of Borrego 13
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

Hello Gene,
About 6 months ago my Dad went through the same thing with his Gall Bladder, there were NO options but to remove it which they did. It was a rough coupla weeks afterwards but he's doing great now. He also has other Medical issues he's dealing with (he's 73) which made his recovery more of a challenge but he's a strong Man and he did it. I've never gotten the impression that you are a weak man so for what it's worth.......I have faith you'll beat this.

You have my best wishes Gene.

Greg Kaiser
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Vague Doctors

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

Vague Doctors make me nervous.

I would sure want to know all of the good things that can come from your operation, as well as the bad things.

Once you understand all of the pro's and con's, you can decide if it''s worth the results you will realize. Hard decision, any way you look at it.

Let us know what is happening. Our thoughts are with you.

Take care, my friend.

Joe
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Going Crazy!

Post by Gene Reynolds »

A apologize folks - but this will probably be my last post on this crap. If you read the post above this one then this post will pick up and drive you nuts.

Doctors = Frankly and in my opinion - are mostly self estemed assholes.

I got a call a few minutes ago from my doctors helper that did all these recent tests for endioscopy and gall blatter, etc. ( the doctor that wants to take my stomach and play jump rope with) Now he wants my heart doctor to perform stess tests and an ekg to see if he can kill me before the other one does. No one wants the blame in case I die yet no one wants to do the operations (either one) until the other has had a chance to kill me first! I nearly exploded this morning but was able to keep my cool and asked why can't I just get the damn gall blatter out and be done with it? = Because - if I were driving down the road and I had an attack the nearest hospital wouldn't ask me how do you feel sir - isn't it a nice day - they would take the damn thing out regardless. Her answer was the standard bullshit - yes sir, I know, but in this case we have the time to do it right now don't we? What is this (we) shi.....? Is she having one done too? Are they cheaper by the dozen?

Now I am supposed to call my other heart doc and ask him to do a stress test and an EKG ...... ( the same test he claimed earlier would probably kill me) and beg him to do me this favor! Screw them all........ I Think they are both so full of shi _ ....... that they leave me no choice but to either start from scratch and get new doctors that aren't full of crap (and I could be aged by that time- well into my hundreds) or just say - F -It and go on until it finally gets me.

I am so ready to pack up my crap and live out the last days in Arizona on a mountain top somewhere.........

I think I will start acting like the doctors - when I crap - I will have to hire someone to wipe my butt!

The heart doc - round trip is about 130 miles away - city traffic all the way. I really don't think anyone here at this house other than Jacob would care if I left. (age 7) I am just fed up - and don't even give a damn anymore - enough is enough -

Let's just throw a damn beer party - haven't had one in years....

Gene
Writer of Borrego 13