Steve's Passing

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
TGH
Expert

Steve's Passing

Post by TGH »

To all,

Steve passed on into the Happy Place last night. I'll post details on the service and such in a bit.

Peter
Last edited by TGH on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

Having not known Steve all I can say is Happy Trails to you Steve and may the Wind be forever at your back.

To Steve's Family & Friends.....you have my Heart Felt Condolences.

Greg
But hey.....Thats just Me....I could be wrong
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Folks

Steves obituary can be found online. Just click on the link or copy/paste it into your browser. Many thanks to Garry Cundiff, also a Missouri native, for bringing it to my attention.

Peter

http://www.newstribune.com/obituaries/
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

I have heard it said that friends are the family God gives you to make up for the one you are born with. I cannot say that that I agree 100% with that, although I do not disagree either. Friends, real friends are very special, not something to be taken for granted. For me these last few weeks have been a Rolla coaster of friends and friendships, great highs and a terrible low. Steve had been one of the highs, then it all went south. Like others with luck or fortune I had known Steve through the Dutchman. Who says all the treasures are in the mountains.

In early December we headed for England to visit old friends and then on to Norway to spend time with family and friends there. Before leaving we got back in contact with friends in the Bay Area that we had not seen in over 20 years. What gifts friends are – people we had not seen in years, sometimes decades and we picked up right where we left off without skipping a beat. After four weeks of these renewals/reunions we came back. I had sent Steve an email about one of the things we had been working on before Christmas and I had hoped to have a reply from him now that the Holiday season was over. Then came the crash, after four weeks of highs you can be brought down so fast.

There in my inbox was a message from someone telling me about Steve’s illness. I could not believe it. It hit so hard. He was simply a good guy, someone whom you felt at ease with, someone I respected beyond words. I mean how could it happen. And I got scarred and I prayed, and prayed. It was like reliving a tragedy. Almost the same thing happened to another Dutch hunter, Bob Crandall. Bob did not feel well, went into the doctor, was told he had inoperable lung cancer and died within weeks. But, Bob was a chain smoker in his 70s. But, Steve was a man of health, and helpful, a man of youth, someone who’s passing leaves a tremendous hole. Yes, it hit hard. It is not fair. I have no answers, just questions.

Finally I had some serious informatin on one of the things Steve and I had wondered about, and now there was no one to share them with.

My wife always asked about my going to Arizona in the summers. I would tell her that it was more about people than anything else. Friends and colleagues I have meant in the Dutchman community have by and large been special people. So in those days I would head south from Oregon and see Len, Greg, Al, Bob, Northcut, Don, Ron, Clay, Kraig, Monte, Gerry and others. Over half of these men are on another trail now and others may be soon. My interest waned as I lost friends; there were fewer I could share with, hike with and armchair Dutch Hunt with. Greg would encourage me about a new generation of Dutch Hunters. But, who could replace Al, or Bob, or Norhtcut, or John, or Don or Monte, and others now gone? Well the fact is no one could replace them; they were and are not light bulbs to be replaced when burnt out. But, there were new lights, and Steve was one of them.

I hope that Steve and Al and Bob and Don and Monte are sitting around talking Dutchman, knowing things we on this side cannot know. Monte laughing and pointing out things others had missed – he had great eyes, and Al trumping him with what he had found, while Bob tells of the days of Piper, Cellest Jones, Mexican adventures and Victorio Peak. Don, an ancient soul, is smiling and bringing in angles no one else had thought of, when along comes Steve welcomed as an equal, and with his warmth and intelligence trying to put it all together.

Ya, I will miss him as a person, as a colleague, as a friend, as Steve. Happy trails to you…
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Blood Lines

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thomas,

Well put, my friend.

As the day for Steve's funeral draws near, many of us are feeling the deep pain and hopelessness of his passing. Other than our prayers, there was nothing we could do.

There are now things to be done. His close friends here, Peter and Matthew (Kraig) will carry part of that task, but there are things the rest of us can do.

First, we can each send our condolences to his family. The web site that is set up allows for e-mails to be sent quickly. More importantly, there is a memorial fund set up for the education of Steve's sons. What could be more important than educating his children?

I trust that everyone, who is able, will repay the generosity and friendship that Steve has shown us all over the years. It is a debt I can never repay.

In his wife and children, and with our memories, he is with us still.

Thank you,

Joe
novice
Expert

Tributes and Memories

Post by novice »

The funeral home also has a web site where anyone can submit their thoughts, memories and tributes that will be passed along to the family.

http://www.dulletrimble.com/obituaries.html

There is also a photo of Steve albeit very fuzzy.

Garry
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

id just like to say how sorry i am to hear about steve.in my correspondences with him i found him to be a true gentleman in every sense of the word, and this comes as quite a shock. the worlds a poorer place because of his passing. my heartfelt condolences to his family.
kind regards
don
( dutch elm disease()
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Gentlemem: This was one post I was hoping and praying for that would be of good joy, however it was not to be. I can hardly believe that Steve has passed away from us and these earthly bounds. What a deep loss to the worlds community of people. My sincerest and deepest sympathes goes out to all his friends, family, and espectially to, Helen, Colin,Brandon, and Wilhelmina. I first met Steve some five years ago through an email he sent to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society inquiring about some books and manuscripts. We immediately struck up a conversation and shortly after that I met him and his family in person during a trip they took to Arizona that year which they had previously planned. We hit it off right away and thus a great friendship took shape. Steve and I exchanged countless ideas, correspondances, e-mails, and phone calls over the ensuing years. One of his special projects was researching and documenting the "Larua Middaugh" enigma which he tackled with his professional pride and zeal. My biggest regreat is that I never had the chance to go hiking with Steve. Our work conflicts always seemed to get in the way of our plans but we never quit trying. One of my foundest memories was a night when Steve, Peter, Kraig and I went to dinner. It was a surprise dinner set up by Peter for the group. After that we went to my home in Tempe for a long night of Dutchman researhing and brainstorming.
Steve touched the lives of all he met in a most positive way. He could always find time to help those with their research projects. He freely and unselfishing shared the fruitage of his knowledge with all who asked and was thus rewarded with many new friends and a inflowing of new material for his files. Steve was truly one of those really fine and upstanding gentlemen and how lucky we were to have had our lives touched by him.
I drove out to the mountains this morning to a quiet and secluded spot to be alone with my thoughts on this matter. It was a beautiful morning with the browns and tans of the mountains, the green desert, bright blue sky with the white clouds and a cool light breeze. It was as if Steve was trying to tell me and all of us that he was now in Gods hands, no longer suffering, and will always be their next to us in sprit as we continued with our work and hikes in the mountains. Not much more I can add for Kraig, Peter, Tom, Joe, and all the rest of you have summed up Steves Creagers attributes in your many kind posts and e-mails. I will see to it that one of the future Superstition Mountain Journal will be dedicated to Steve and his family.
Steve, I know you have finally found the Dutchman's mine so Rest in Peace. You will be missed but not forgotten. Thank you God for allowing myself and others to have shared with Steve a portion of his life here on Earth. God Speed. A good friend. Gregory E. Davis
novice
Expert

Steven Douglas Creager

Post by novice »

I suspect that my story starts like many others. I never met Steve, never talked to him but feel I've known him all of my life. It's a terrible void, for many of us will never have that experience of personal contact. Our relationship lasted less than a year but in that time, I gained the utmost respect for him. For those of you who were fortunate to have known Steve on a personal level, count your blessings. I only lived a couple of hours away and we always intended to get together someday but "someday never came".

Steve was a unique Dutchhunter. He commanded respect in every corner of the community. When I would get frustrated and whine about someone, he would always say "He's really a good guy". His was a total commitment to the "truth" and his ability to "change his mind" and grow set him apart. He would "listen" and his research was meticulous. When he spoke everyone knew it was as factual as possible and to the point.

After a visit to the Superstitions last February, 2005 my wife and I returned to Missouri and I found the Lost Dutchman Forum. I read some of the old posts and found one a couple of years old. It was about the warrant, a subject that I found interesting. I had never posted anything on a forum so I decided to dip my toe into the water by sending a private message to a poster who went by S. C.

As I look back on that message, I now realize how lucky I was to chose S. C. (Maybe it wasn't all luck because S. C.'s posts were almost always informative and it was apparent that he was a gentle soul.) I told him I was a beginner and included several questions about his post. He didn't know me at all but responded immediately and courteously, adding additional detail to his post. With some of the intrigue that goes on, it is now almost unbelievable that he even responded, let alone providing a whole page of detail.

That was the beginning of sharing lots of research and ideas over the next several months. The problem was that Steve always provided more that I could ever give in return.

My last communication was December 20 and I knew Steve had experienced some health problems but I had no idea of the gravity of the situation.
Steve wrote,

Yes. I am interested in the information. If you wish to send snail mail, that is okay. Might be best since I am at home now and have limited printing capabilities. And thanks for everything below. I will go through the emails and get back to you on it. Thanks for everything. I will be in touch very soon.

Steve
Forever the dutchhunter.

Our sympathies go out to Lynn, Colin, Brandon and the rest of Steve's family. We are grieving also.

I'm sure I can never live up to your example but you will always be there to provide guidance. The foremost consideration will always be the truth as best we can define it.

Novice

P. S.
Steve, I'd like to bounce a couple of questions and thoughts off of you........... but for now that will have to wait.
Last edited by novice on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Always The Same Man

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

Like you, I never had the chance to meet Steve. From my first post in 2002, we started a relationship that lasted, even through my fights with his friend Peter. Like you, I could never give as much as I received.

Steve never changed. That was something you could always count on.

Take care,

Joe
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Passing On

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

My sympathy and condolences to all. A man like that can not be kept from the mountains especially after death. A dutch hunter partner, friend, and mentor of mine passed last year. He found himself unable to go to the Superstitions anymore, and I know he died a little soon because of this. He still suffered too long. With-out the physical ability to participate he felt there was nothing left for him and this was nearly all of his pain. I hope Steve did not suffer like this. Let it be known, their spirits reside in the hearts of loved ones and in the mighty Superstitions.

Jesse
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

After reading the positive posting in memory of Steve, I regret not knowing such a fine example to us all—it’s possible, though, that Steve was the gentleman that walked by me on the trail offering a warm smile when I was tired giving me the strength I needed, to make it back to First Water Trailhead. I pray that the God will place His loving arms around Steve's wife and two children.

buscar
Last edited by buscar on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Kelso
Part Timer

Post by Ronnie Kelso »

Deleted......................
Last edited by Ronnie Kelso on Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

My Thanks

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter and Matthew,

There is something that needs to be said, but was too close to my emotions for awhile. It is not easy, even now.

Peter, you overcame the past insults we have exchanged with each other and made sure I knew about Steve's condition. Knowing I was friends with Steve, you did the right thing. I am very grateful for that kindness. It allowed me to send a card expressing my wishes for Steve's recovery.

When Steve passed away, Matthew, you overcame the anger at some of the things I had said and you were the first to let me know. Having you as a friend has been one of the real highlights of my 47 years as a "Dutch Hunter".

I am humbled and grateful for the kindness, and thoughtfulness, shown by both of you. Knowing the closeness that existed between the three of you, I am struck by the fact that you both thought of me despite your grief.

Thank you both.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Joe

Steves all-too-early ride on the Ghost Horse to the Happy Place transcends all petty bickering and BS.

You are welcome.

P
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
novice
Expert

Gold is where you find it.

Post by novice »

When I first became involved with the Lost Dutchman Mine, I decided I would get to the bottom of the story! :) I didn't want to develop any close relationships for fear of compromising my ability to go where the research led. After corresponding with Steve a while and following the Forum, I realized that there was much more to the LDM than a bunch of books and documents. I was counseled early on, by another poster; "Garry, for you it is the early days right now and as you get deeper into this mystery you will meet some great people and some most interesting people. With just a bit of luck it should enrich your life."

Better advice was never offered although I didn't fully embrace it immediately. Now I think back to how foolish I was. I can't imagine the LDM without thinking of Steve and now many others. But I was especially blessed by my relationship with Steve! Kraig is correct when he notes that "Steve loved the Forum". I know it bothered him a lot about what was happening at various times. He wished everyone could get along and share their ideas. We can all learn a lot from Steve.

When I post a document or express an idea that is in conflict with what someone believes, I hope no one is offended. It is not ever meant to be mean spirited, just something to ponder. I think questions and ideas are the foundation of the Forum.

For many of us, the treasure will not be in the Superstitions but in the relationships we share. Gold is where you find it! Steve Creager was certainly a treasure.

Garry
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Steve's Passing

Post by Gene Reynolds »

It is so sad to hear of Steve's passing on........ I only new of him a short time. but he was a friend indeed....... I am shocked......I don't know what to say....... I am at a loss for words.

Steve introduced himself to me only a short time ago, and offered me the Ruth manuscript of which I had never seen. He sent it to me as a gift/no strings attached - paid for the postage - and we spoke by phone at a later time.

I sent him a copy of the tape I made of Stella Hawkins talking to me in Washington - hoping to repay in some small way his offer of kindness to me.

I had no idea he was sick. You just never know when it's your time to go........ which brings me to another situation.......

I too have had a sudden onslought of problems..... I thought as a young man that we are all invinceable....... I am now finding out that the reallity of another time and place are all to near. In the past few weeks I too have gathered many problems......Here is a letter I sent to my sister just the other day.

To: Elizabeth
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 12:36 AM

Hey kid -

I now have doc appointments set up. I am going to for a nerve conduction test wed. Then I have to go Thursday for a pre-operation thing - I guess give to give blood and get instructions. Then Friday I go to the hospital to nuclear medicine for a thyroid test - then onto ultra sound for the same thyroid thingy right after that. Then they have me set up for the 31st for the TV camera down the throat to the stomach then on to the Duodenum........ Then if I survive all this - they will only be able to tell me what one problem is....not fix it.

I had to sign a paper stating this operation can result in a heart attack, severe loss of blood - loss of a function of any limb or organ - paralysis - brain damage - and or death.......! All this for a damn camera? makes you want to give up before you get started.

Then if I survive all this - I have the other doc that may want to cut open my back at the spine and then later at the neck for a pinched nerve.

I now wish I wasn't so persistent in wanting to find out the problem.! Hell - the doc's will kill me long before the problems do.! if that ain't enough - now my Heart doc thinks it's possible that I may have another blockage, possibly at or near the heart and now he wants to give me a shot to speed the heart up and shoot dye in me to find out if there is a problem there. (Because of my problem = Breathing). He wouldn't let another heart doc do this to me last year because he said it was to dangerous and might kill me. Now he's seemed to have changed his mind - he wants to kill me himself rather than let others have the fun.

All I can tell you is - - - - - - if you want to talk to me this month - - - - - you had better do it soon - - - - you don't have much time left and apparently neither do I.

For now - Mr. Lucky
Gene

Normally I probably would not share all this with you - but for the sake of one very good reason I now am...........
All of you can count your blessings.... some of you may not think you have many but I would trade bodies with any one of you if I could. Look around you - if you have one good friend to share stories and a laugh with and you are still breathing, you are so lucky. Time is so short - perhaps to short for some to be on this planet, so make the most of it while you can. Tell a friend how much he or she means to you - Give your kids a hug - give your dog a pat on the head - and if you wake up the next morning - take a look at the sky, the leaves, and everything else around you and thank God he gave you the chance to be here and enjoy it all. You only live once on this Earth - be gratefull for the short time you have here and make the most of every second.

I wish I could meet each and every one of you, talk around the campfire, tell a few jokes, and have many laughs. Maybe we will all meet some day in another place in another time and in another world full of joy.

Until then my friends, remember to enjoy what you have regardless of how little you may think it is - You may already have much more than you think.

My regards and friendship to all of you - for now - Gene
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Counting Your Blessings

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

I was just asked about your silence......today. Your friends on the Forum were worried, especially since we all know you are having health problems. A lot of us will be with you, in spirit, as you go through the next few weeks.

You are so right that we should all count our blessings. I have too many visions of people who are so much worse off than I am, my friend Gene being one. Pain and suffering are just a part of living, but some people seem to get more than their share.

I wish you well, my friend.

Billy Sharp also contacted me today, and his silence is the results of a wacked computer.

Good luck,

Joe
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

Gene,

It's good to see you posting but in the next breath it brings saddness to hear of your health decline. While I have never met you in person (but would love to) we did talk via E-Mail and of course I've read your Book Borrego 13, both of which I enjoyed and they showed me you are a good Man and deserve better. Your words on enjoying what you have when you have it (Family, Friends and yes....even the Dog & Cat) are GREAT words of wisdom. Unfortunatly this remains as Lost and un-obtainable as the Lost Dutchmans gold for alot of people. As you know Gene (if you remember) I to have health issues that could have caused me to become bitter, angry (and down right pissed off) at a certain person and the world in general (which to a certain degree I was) but I soon realalized that what you said in your post was the path to take, and I took it. Thats where I found the most valuable Treasure......not in some hole in the ground. There names are Sue, Jennifer, John & Corinne (my 6 year old Grandaughter I never would have known if not for the Grace of God on that Nov night 7 years ago). For me the search for the LDM was and is not about finding bags of gold it's about learning, staying active, adventure but most importantly the chance to meet new people and at some point make new FRIENDS. I count you Gene as one of them.

My thoughts and Prayer's are with you.

Greg Kaiser
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

Joe,

I gotta say.......you sure do know how to stir a fire :lol: . And while some here hate that about you, IMHO it is of great value for the board and I enjoy it (even though I don't always agree with you). If ya build a fire and just leave it alone it will eventualy burn down and go out if someone doesn't poke it with a stick and throw another log on it. So for what it's worth........keep the stick handy and a cord of wood close at hand because the information you bring to the campfire is very interesting & useful (even if the rest of us sittin by that campfire get a shower of sparks on us from your method's :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Greg Kaiser
murphy
Part Timer

Steve's Passing

Post by murphy »

Many on this Forum have known Steve well and have given those who didn't know him an insight into who he was by the kind words expressed here. I am one of the unfortunate ones who only knew Steve by his posts here. Reading back through his posts it is obvious he was very passionate about his research and extremley knowledgeable, but he shared his knowledge freely with all, and seemed genuinely interested in what others had to say. I am sorry I never got to know him better.

Gene,
Nice to hear from you again, I have missed your input. I am sorry to hear you are still having health problems. I know you have battled illness before and but the tone in all your posts has been positive and up beat. Attitude is half the battle. My best wishes to you.
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Searching

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Greg Kaiser,

I am not sure how this got drug back into the thread, but I assure you that no one is more aware of my caustic, heavy-handed nature than I am.
I do try to keep my comments to a lower level of "fire stirring", but the nature of the fuel is its own catalyst.

At a very young age I discovered the magic world of books. It created its own fire in me. I question the "facts" and seek out the truth, wherever it leads me. There are many others on that same trail....it is crowded, and many toes get stepped on accidently. That is the result of looking ahead, for that truth, and not looking where you are placing your feet.

In my headlong rush to find the truth/facts, I sometimes anger others, even friends. It is a hard thing to apologize for, but you will find me doing so now and again.

Here is a partial quote from a favored author:

"....is to underscore the lessons that history is not a certain set of facts that constitute the truth. History remains, rather, the stories that we tell.
Each generation tells different stories to satisfy different needs. Each writer chases the truth, which appears always shimmering at the horizon, drawing us on. But we never catch up. It's a bit like chasing a small band of Apache warriors through the wilderness, seeking signs of their passage." by, Peter Aleshire in "The Fox And The Whirlwind".

I am always pushing to find that truth, and seeking whatever "facts" I can find to authenticate that truth. It's seldom that easy, as the tracks left are often very faint.

I will take your post as a compliment, and thank you for your thoughts.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

Joe,

You took my post EXACTLY as it was intended.
And yes.......It probably shouldn't have been in this thread but I've been sitting here in the Frozen Tundra of MN reading what has been going on and I felt it was time to give you the dues you deserve. Toe stepper? Yes.....Caustic? Yes.....Heavy Handed? Yes (I'll add one of my own here) Thermal Nuclear? Yes . So Be it.........after all......as far as I know we are all adults here. This is not Mister Roger's Neighborhood. If people are going to criticize YOU for your so-called Disruptive ways (not my lable, other's) then on the other side of that coin shouldn't the so-called LURKER's here who add ZERO information also be chastised for there method of participating (or lack there of) in this fourm? (I for one could be put in this category as so far my only contribution has been some information in response to azdave35's question about a spiral staircase in the Superstitions and a link to Barbara Simpsons interview of Helen Corbin on Coast to Coast AM......neither of which added much to the LDM quest but I tought it was interesting) For my own sake I hope not. And I don't just feel this way about you (I am not Joe Ribaudo's Cheerleader, but I do respect Joe) I respect and feel the same about anybody who is a member of this forum.....Except for anybody who knowingly Lie's.....Cheat's.....or Steal's. Those folks can go straight to the opposite place I believe Steve is now hiking in.

Thank you Joe & all other's here for sharing your Information, Interpretation's and Opinion's (whether I agree with them or not)

Greg Kaiser
lazarus
Expert

Steve

Post by lazarus »

To all,
I am deeply saddened to learn about the passing of Steve. I would like to say I knew him better, but I did not. Still, I knew him well enough to know he died with his boots on. God bless him.

Brad Cooper
Lazarus