Aylor's Arch

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
murphy
Part Timer

Aylor's Arch

Post by murphy »

Looking back through some old pictures of Aylor's Arch and was wondering about what appears to be mine tailings on the slope below the "arch". Comparing other natural arches all over Arizona and Utah that I have seen, created by wind and erosion, this hole doesn't really fit the pattern. (Although I am not a geologist, it may be perfectly natural). The hole in Miner's Needle has a similar appearance. Has there been any disscusion of wether or not these may be man made?
murphy
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Murphy: When you talk about "Aylor's Arch", Are you refering to the arch at the top of Palomino Mountain located to the West of East Boulder Canyon? If so, the story of the mining activity on the East side was told in a story by Clay Worst titled: "The Hill of the Horse's Head", which appeared in Volume 11, 1992, of the Superstition Mountain Journal. The mine by the top on the West side is another story involving the Aylor's. I will see if I can get that one published in a future issue of the Journal. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
murphy
Part Timer

Post by murphy »

Greg,
Yes that is the formation I was referring to. Thanks for the info!
murphy
dutchman49
Greenhorn

aylor's arch

Post by dutchman49 »

Greg hi, does anybody have or has taken a bearing on the hole on MINER'S Needle (MAG NORTH).???? THANK YOU DUTCHMAN 49
Fritzski
Greenhorn

Post by Fritzski »

If anyone wants to see photos of the mine tailings mentioned here, reference my writeup for the "Aylor's Arch" hike on HikeArizona.com.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Hi; I do not know of anyone who has taken a bearing or GPS mark on the hole in Miners Needle. I will ask around and if I learn anything on a positive note I will let you know. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis