Jim Hatt's Book - "The Peralta Stone Maps"

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Roger
Part Timer

Jim Hatt's Book - "The Peralta Stone Maps"

Post by Roger »

I picked up a copy of Jim Hatt's booklet, "The Peralta Stone Maps", while in Apache Junction last week. The Peralta Stone Maps are fairly well known and Jim provides a little background history on them.

The thing I found most interesting is Jim tying the Latin Heart to the Peralta Stone Maps. Like most, I have only seen the Latin Heart in Bob Ward's book, Ripples of Lost Echo's, pages 117-123 and he states that he has 3 heart maps in his possession. Bob is not clear if he has the actual stone hearts or just paper copies of them. Jim tells on page 13 of his book that Al Reser learned from Charlie Miller exactly where the Peralta Stone Maps were found and that an individual had gone back to that exact spot years later and found the Latin Heart lying on top of the ground some distance from where the Peralta stones were found by Tumlinson. Al told Jim that the Latin Heart in Ward's book was different from the one he had. Jim later sourced a copy and it is in his book on page 11-12.

In Volume 3 (1984) of the SMHS Journal on Page 41, Robert Garmin wrote "Robert G. Tumlinson told the author that the stone maps or tablets were not all found in the same place but were somewhat scattered. One pair of the tablets or maps, the number two and number three, were buried together and right on top of the heart shaped stone. This one, according to R.G. Tumlinson, was down about eight inches from the surface. .... Mr. Tumlinson told the author sometime later, that he and his nephew searched the area very carefully but were unable to locate any more maps."

My question is this: Has anyone else verified where the Latin Heart was found and tried to dechiper it? I haven't put any time on it, not knowing before where it was found.

Jim also ties the Bilbry Stone Crosses (2) in with the Peralta Stones and the Latin Heart maps. I feel this is more of a streach since the Bilbry maps were found on the South side of Tortilla Mtn. The Stone Crosses could be pointing at the same mine, but would most likely be a stand alone map set and not a part of the Peralta Stone Maps.

Some food for thought.

Roger[/i][/b]
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Roger,

I find it most interesting that the Stone Crosses have both a Heart and a Triangle on them. Symbols that are also significant on the Peralta Stone Maps. Is it just by coincidence that the Latin Heart which is itself Heart shaped also refers to a Triangulum?

I spent many hours discussing these overlaps of symbols on all of the stones with Richard (Rick) Peck. Rick was deeply fascinated by all of these stones and was probably one of the very first people to make the Heart/Triangle connection between all of them and conclude that they all originated from the same source.

He collected a lot of information about all of the stones and spent many years pondering the possibilities, but as far as I know he never came to any conclusions about how to use them. The method of reading them and how to use the stone hearts that Jim Hatt describes is about the best I have ever read to date. He made use of a lot of detailed information he got directly from Chuck Kenworthy, who by the way, spread a lot of money (John Wayne's money if my information is correct) around in Mexico and Spain in his efforts to decipher the stone maps.

I have made several trips out to Florence Jct. in search of the last remaining stone that Jim thinks is supposed to fit in the large hole in the bottom trail map, or any other stone or relic of some kind that might be associated with the set. The problem is that they have bulldozed the whole area to make US 60 a divided Hwy through there. It is difficult to tell anymore where the original site was.

I agree with you 100% Roger as far as the stone cross map being a stand alone map. I also agree with Jim's theory that the "Horse" and "Priest" maps are stand alone maps that apply to the area to be found at the end of the trail on the trail maps. But who knows for sure?

I have a full set of the stone map reproductions hanging on the wall at my desk. Every now and then I glance up at them and see something that inspires my imagination for hours at a time. I sure would like to know what that last missing stone looks like.

Jan
redison
Part Timer

Post by redison »

Roger,

Nice post! I also enjoyed your post summerizing the campout with Joe. I think I would have enjoyed those campfire discussions. Sorry I missed it. Maybe next year, if I am granted one more year amongst the living.

Jan,

Rick Peck was far more than just fascinated by the stone maps, especially the Latin Heart! I saw his collection of stone map material once. I’d sure like to know what happened to all that stuff when he died.
I spent some time out at Florence Jct. Looking for the “missing stone” myself back before they divided the highway thru there. Long before Jim presented the possibility of a "missing stone" in his book (GMTA). There used to be a small hill on the north side of the highway above a roadside picnic table. The way I heard the story, Tumlinson climbed that hill to see if he could get a better view of Weaver’s Needle from up there. That is where he was supposed to have stumbled over one corner of the first stone map. That hill is no longer there, it was all dozed flat during the construction.. The roadside picnic table of course is gone too. I still think the area to the north of the highway is worth wandering around in tho. There is a small mountain about a mile and 1/2 north of the highway. It is almost 1 mile long running east/west beside a dirt road and is about 300-400 feet high. A lot of interesting things have been found around the base of it and there are petroglyphs on some of the large boulders on top of it. There is a dirt road about 1/8 mile west of Florence Jct. that runs north and then curves around west to the base of that small mountain. If as Jim suggests in his book, the mules fleeing the battle made it as far as Florence Jct. before their packs started falling apart and dropping their load, then the entire area between the small mountain and the highway could be strewn with items from the packs. You can travel all through the area on an ATV or on horseback, it’s all flat and you could even use a 4X4 truck, but you wouldn’t see as much as you would riding out in the open.

Did you get to the Sleeping Lady Squaw area yet? I have been waiting to see what your evaluation of the area would be.

redison
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Redison; Richard Peck's entire collection was donated to the Superstiton Mountain Historical Society by his wife after he died. The collection is available for viewing, research work, and making copies, by apointment. Just email me for details. [email protected]. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
redison
Part Timer

The Rick Peck Files

Post by redison »

Gregory,

"Ask and you shall receive" LOL

I appreciate the offer Gregory, but I have seen it all. Some of it, I even have copies of. The stone map stuff anyway. I was just curious about what happened to all of it. It's good to know it wound up with a good new home.

I bet you will get many requests to view it!

redison
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

I found this on the Internet this morning.

So NOW they are called "Peralta Stone Tablet Treasure Maps"?

Somebody should tell Mr. Hatt :roll:

Jan

Jan. 6-8, 2006
34th Annual Flagg Gem and Mineral Show is set for Jan. 6-8, 2006, in the west parking lot of Mesa Community College (MCC), 1833 W. Southern Ave., in Mesa (entrance on Dobson Road). Parking is free. Family-friendly event at Mesa Community College to feature diverse vendors, children’s activities and the rare Peralta Stone Tablet Treasure Maps. Info: (480) 814-9086 or www.AzMinFun.com.