White Strangers and Papago Gold

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Sevillle

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Good post.

Did Eugene Lyon steal the documents from the archives?

Kenworthy wrote:

"Beginning in 1974 I began making contact both directly and indirectly with archivists and sub archivists in France, Spain and the Vatican. Mexico City's archives were completely "off limits", however, "arrangements" were made through a minister of the navy and I developed an outstanding 'source'. Beginning in 1978 I began receiving notifications of "findings" from various archives. Not having seen the "information" available, I would guess at a value and make an offer for copies. (emphasis in bold by Joe)

In 1983 a letter arrived stating that 116 pages had been found relating to the King of Spain's rules and regulations on mining and exploration in the new world. Included were thirty-four pages of coded signs and symbols to be used in documents and on maps and their meanings. Also included were drawings of trail markers that Spain required to be constructed, "under pain of Spain", along all treasure/mine trails."

If Kenworthy told the truth, and he only paid for "copies", the originals are still in the archives of Seville. If Lyon stole the originals and sold them to Kenworthy, they could be authenticated. Most, if not all, of the information has been published. What's left to hide?

Respectfully,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill711
Expert

White stranger and papago gold

Post by bill711 »

I might add that Mel found 2 of the ships BUT he was after the one and only motherload ship...this was the 2nd ship found... :lol: bill 8)
Bandit
Part Timer

The Peralta Stone Tablets

Post by Bandit »

The Peralta Stone Tablets are the only recorded (public) record of the Jesuit Occupation in the Superstition Mountains.
The images are found in various locations, only there are many more images that can be found. The glyphs on the stone maps are Ruin symbols from the Fryer alphabet.
The placement of the images on land are close to different Crosses , Faces, and the LDM. They range from The Natural Stone Face( " my mine is across the ravine from a Natural Stone Face on an incline slope") , to a Spear, and Crusaders Helmet. (Templar)

The Peraltas made the statement "God's Curse was on them". They felt this way not because they were in Apache Territory, but that they were in the same area that the Jesuits secrets were located. Whether they worked the same mines or not. They knew the symbols from Spanish mining law.

The Jesuits placed guardians to watch over their secrets, Cursing those who found them. Teaching Good, using Evil.

A few of my comments.

Bandit
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

All,

I see I am not the only one intertested in Mel Fisher's adventures. Does anyone know if it is true that Chuck Kenworthy was partners with him?

Also, somewhere on this wensite I once read a conversation about the stone maps and it was mentioned that Bob Corbin had them analyzed in Washington D.C. I have searched and searched this site and cannot find that conversation. I can't even remember no who was involved in the conversation. Maybe it was in one of Aurum's posts that were deleted?

If my memory serves me correctly, someone that knew Mr. Corbin was going to contact him and find out if there was any truth to that story. Did that ever happen? Was the result ever posted?

Bandit,

Welcome back, I haven't seen you in a while. Interesting post! You got my attention with several of your statements. You mention the Fryer Alphabet. I have never heard of it. I'd like to know more about it. Can you tell me where I can learn more about it and maybe even get a copy of it?

Jan
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Friar

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jan,

I assume Bandit meant the Friar Cypher.

I remember the conversation you are talking about. I will look for it.

Respectfully,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

Eugene Lyon Profile

Post by Roger »

I spent several hours with Chuck Kenworthy over a very extended lunch at the Village Inn Restaurant in Apache Junction on 2/5/95. We discussed the Stone Maps and Chuck said that Eugene Lyon was the researcher that had provided the Spanish records on the King of Spain's rules for coded signs and symbols to be used on maps plus trail markers and monuments. He indicated that he had received copies of this information and not originals. He states this also on Page 15 of his book, "Treasure Signs, Symbols, Shadow, & Sun Signs".

Eugene Lyons is a very respected researcher and archaeologist in his field. He has served on several Museum Board Of Directors and has been on the teaching/research staff of several universities. He has been recognized by the King of Spain, the Dominican Republic President, and a number of recognized organizations. I would believe that his credentials and integrity are excellent and he did not "lift" documents from the archives and maintain this level of recognition. Eugene worked in these archives for 20 yrs and would not have jeopardized his access to them.

If you would like to read a little further on Eugene Lyon, check out these web sites:

Eugene Lyon - Director of Center of Historic Research at Flagler College, St. Augustine, FL (Retired professor)
http://www.staugustine.com/flagler/lyon.shtml

Eugene Lyon - Mel Fisher Museum Board of Directors
http://www.melfisher.org/genelyonboard.htm

Eugene Lyon - Amelia Research & Recovery LLC
http://www.ameliaresearch.com/pages/crew.htm

Roger
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Roger,

Nice post! In your usual style you present all the facts and sources!

Mr. Lyon’s reputation is certainly impeccable and his information probably is also.

However, "Treasure Signs, Symbols, Shadow, & Sun Signs" only provides Mr. Kenworthy’s interpretation of the information provided by Mr. Lyon and none of the raw information that Mr. Lyon provided. About 10 or 12 years ago I attended (with an ex-boyfriend/partner) a lecture on the stone maps given by Mr. Kenworthy at the Pro Mack South Mining store when Elaine Schrader was running it. Mr. Kenworthy went into great detail about his interpretation of the maps using the information provided by Mr. Lyon‘s during the lecture, but none of his (Lyon) raw material was presented. I personally felt that some of Mr. Kenworthy’s conclusions were really way out in left field. Without the raw information provided by Mr. Lyons as a baseline, there was and still is no way to tell how far Mr. Kenworthy was stretching it to make it fit his conclusions in his lecture or his book.

I would approach the raw material provided by Mr. Lyons with great interest and respect, but I am skeptical about Mr. Kenworthy’s personal interpretations of it. I have had direct conversations with individuals that had spent some time on trail with Mr. Kenworthy in the Superstitions looking at some of the Signs and Symbols that are pictured in his book. In short, things did not fit together as nicely on trail as they did in the book and many of Mr. Kenworthy’s “Man-made” signs were questionable to say the least.

If the Spanish records Mr. Lyon provided to Mr. Kenworthy could be acquired once, they should be able to be acquired again. Under the circumstances, I personally feel that a second and maybe even third opinion on their interpretation would be beneficial to all.

Jan
bill711
Expert

White stranger and papago gold

Post by bill711 »

Attaboy Jan I have to agree with you; I would want to see the raw material just like it came from the Lyon. I do not want some one else,s interp. unless I ask for it. good subject great post all... bill 8)
LARRY WEBB
Greenhorn

Post by LARRY WEBB »

Jan/Roger/Bill711

Nice posts! I don't believe Mr. Lyons information was anything new to the
Western World. The only difference was Kenworthy's interpretation and
the nice check that filled Mr. Lyons pockets when he saw Kenworthy coming.
One can find just about anything in those mountains! I too had meet Mr.
Kenworthy and tried to tell him he was wrong on what he thought he was
going after. But he had tunnel vision and wouldn't listen. Someone else
claimed to have found the Adams Diggings, I won't mention any names,
but all I can say about that is, they had the right planet.
All the information has been available for years.

Larry
Roger
Part Timer

Spanish Map Codes

Post by Roger »

Larry, have you seen information like that contained in Chuck Kenworthy's book on Spanish treasure map symbols and trail markers published elsewhere? I have a number of books either on treasure codes or containing a section on them, but I haven't run across one with the same type of info and level of detail contained in Kenworthy's book.

Would be interested in any other sources that might exist.

And tks for the compliment on the posts. I lived in South Florida for several years and did some research into Spanish shipwrecks. Did a lot of beach metal detecting and got certified in scuba diving, but moved before I could get very far with undersea searches. I met and talked to Mel Fisher in his museum in Key West prior to his finding the Atocha. He was certainly an interesting personality and very intense on treasure hunting.

Roger
LARRY WEBB
Greenhorn

Post by LARRY WEBB »

Roger

I've read Kenworthys book about symbols and I think the only new info
is what he added. That's just my opinion but no one will ever know until
the documents could be compared to the symbols and their usage.
There are a number of books out there on signs and symbols. The
Carsons, Penfield, Terry, Chastain are a few that have books out. Don't
be fooled by the date of publication because these folks used these
definitions long before they were published by them. I have a copy, I
think 1st edition, of "Coronado's Children" that was published about 1930
that has most of the same signs in the back. There are more but that's just
off the top of my head. Also, you can contact the Treasure Hunter's
University and get help, either online or by phone.

Thanks Larry
LARRY WEBB
Greenhorn

Post by LARRY WEBB »

Roger

I've read Kenworthys book about symbols and I think the only new info
is what he added. That's just my opinion but no one will ever know until
the documents could be compared to the symbols and their usage.
There are a number of books out there on signs and symbols. The
Carsons, Penfield, Terry, Chastain are a few that have books out. Don't
be fooled by the date of publication because these folks used these
definitions long before they were published by them. I have a copy, I
think 1st edition, of "Coronado's Children" that was published about 1930
that has most of the same signs in the back. There are more but that's just
off the top of my head. Also, you can contact the Treasure Hunter's
University and get help, either online or by phone.

Thanks Larry
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Is there an echo in here today? LOL

Larry,

Interesting posts, I didn't even mind reading the last one twice <Smile>
It happens to all of us at one time or another.

Do you have a LINK or URL to the Treasure Hunter's University you mentioned above? I would like to visit that website.

Thanks,

Jan
Grayhair
Greenhorn

Treasure Hunters University

Post by Grayhair »

Hi Jan,

You can find Treasure Hunters University at: http://www.treasurehuntersuniversity.com/

You can also buy his book at the Superstition Mountain Museum. http://www.superstitionmountainmuseum.org/

Grayhair
Ronnie Kelso
Part Timer

Post by Ronnie Kelso »

Deleted................
Last edited by Ronnie Kelso on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LARRY WEBB
Greenhorn

Post by LARRY WEBB »

Jan

Sorry, I'm kinda new to these forums. I've watched this forum for years
but just decided on a whim to register! At first I thought it wasn't going to
take because I was getting an error, so I typed it all over and looks like
both went in.
Looks like Greyhair got the info about Treasure Hunters University, it has
some pretty good info about a number of things.
A special thanks to you Jan.

Thanks Larry
Jan
Part Timer

Post by Jan »

Greyhair / Larry

Thanks for the info. THU is a very interesting site that contains a lot of information.

Jan

NOTE: You're right Joe, Thanks!
Last edited by Jan on Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LARRY WEBB
Greenhorn

Post by LARRY WEBB »

Jan

There are several books out that have pictures of the signs and symbols
that are followed and show the end results. One of the best is "A Treasure
Hunters Handbook" by Chastain. He hunted treasure for years with good
results following those signs.

Larry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Imposter

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

"There has been a lot of controversy on this site in the past, and there probably will be more in the future, but controversy is what has made this site what it is. If someone comes onto this site and posts a bunch of B.S. somebody is going to call him down on it! It gets messy at times, but it does have the positive result of keeping the B.S. to minimum."

Imposter,

Who are you, and what have you done with Jan? :lol:

A wise man once said something to this effect: Attack the post/facts, not the author of the post.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
LARRY WEBB
Greenhorn

Post by LARRY WEBB »

Jan

Well, how goes the search for Jesuit Hill? A little something more that you
might be interested in, if you don't already know, the name of the mission
of which you are searching might be Santa Catarina. It was established
in 1756 by Fr. Bernardo Middendorf but was short lived because of the
Indian attacks.
One map I have shows the mission to be about 10 or so miles southwest
of Red Rock which should be close to where you are looking. Also, it's on
the west side of the Santa Cruz. While another map I have is showing it
next to Tucson. I believe it should be the one up close to Red Rock.

Larry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dr. Lyon

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

I am going to guess that you never received an answer from Dr. Lyon as to his finding the Kenworthy documents.

Until someone gets a response from Dr. Lyon, I will continue to bellieve he had nothing to do with Kenworthy.

Do you still have his e-mail address?

Respectfully,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

Eugene Lyon Contact

Post by Roger »

Joe,

I have pursued several paths to contact Eugene Lyon through places he worked or does work - I never had an email address for him. Most contacts I made did not want to give out his email address, but finally one individual agreed to forward a message to him late last week.

I will be sending a message thru this individual to Eugene Tuesday and see if he will provide answers to some of our Forum questions. If anyone has a specific question, please post it here today and I will make sure it get incorporated into my questions for Eugene.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dr. Lyon

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

I have used the same individual to forward messages to Dr. Lyon. I also have not received a response. I would be surprised if we hear from him.

The fact that he remains silent on this matter is not incouraging.

Respectfully,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Quiet Lyon

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

The person who forwarded my message to Dr. Lyon was Kent Weimer.

I have been interested in Dr. Lyon's work for some time now. He has been used as a source for a great many books and articles. While there have been a number of people doing the same type of research, I believe Dr. Lyon is probably at the top of the food chain.

In reading his books and other works by the man, I found no mention of the "King's Code". That is one of the main reasons I have always doubted Kenworthy's claims.

Dr. Lyon is not a man of "few words". His favorite subject is the information that he has dug up in the Spanish archives. I don't see him never mentioning such a momentous find in his outstanding career.

Many treasure hunters have been less than desireable people. Dr. Lyon has seen the best and the worst of the lot. I can understand why he might not want to get involved in this question, especially if Kenworthy's claims are an outright lie.

The whole idea of this "secret code" seems far fetched to me. It does not fit with the actual events of the time. Are we to believe the Jesuits, and others, were hiding the king's share of gold and silver and using the king's code to draw maps to the locations of the loot? Just how stupid were the Jesuits?

The "secrets" of the Spanish King were known to everyone at the time. The Spanish cyphers were the laughingstock of the entire world. The Jesuits would have created there own secret code.

You only need to read the journals and records of the people who were exploring and traveling in New Spain, including the Jesuits, to understand that there were no efforts made to hide the locations of mines. To the contrary, their locations were noted in detail.

If Dr. Lyon had found anything remotely resembling a "King's Code" you can bet he would have put in in print.....somewhere. I doubt we are the first to ask him for the truth of this story.

As the good doctor has not spoken, all of the above is opinion and could be changed with the next turn of a spade, so to speak. If I lived in Texas or some place close to Florida, I would turn up at one of his talks and ask him face to face. He speaks often.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bill711
Expert

pappa gold and white strangers

Post by bill711 »

All I think the kings code was that the trail to the mine be marked and monumented in such a way that the KING representitive could go by map to that mine at anytime. today or 50 yrs. from now. It,s the kings treasure so he wants to be able to find it. NOW He did require that the map be on file in his records in case he wants to check on it. NOW I do know that the miners or people did have some signs and things that they used for info such as the half moon-triangle-horseshoe-arrow-monuments that will only show during the morning or in the after noon-and for water. and so on. it morfed somewhere into the KINGS CODE. bill