WELL??? How did it go?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Mr.B
Greenhorn

WELL??? How did it go?

Post by Mr.B »

OK you guys, you got my curiosity going here. How did it go? Did you find the scrapings? find any thing ?
WyattWestwood
Part Timer

Post by WyattWestwood »

Deleted........
Last edited by WyattWestwood on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazarus
Expert

Kino Shades

Post by lazarus »

Wyatt,
I assume those were your "Kino Shades" you lost out there...
I also assume you don't take yourself very seriously, or you wouldn't insist on whittling away at what may be left of your integrity.

Over the weekend, Joe was able to demonstrate what a kind and generous man he truly is, in spite of what some may believe to the contrary.
Although you did not actually attend the campout, you still somehow managed to prove what a fool you are.

It doesn't surprise me you managed to poke yourself in the eye.
WyattWestwood
Part Timer

Post by WyattWestwood »

Deleted...............
Last edited by WyattWestwood on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill711
Expert

well

Post by bill711 »

I don,t think they got any further than Joe,s stew pot Mr. B. :lol: bill 8)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Scrapings

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mr. B,

The 8 x 10s I have of the scrapings are around 40 years old. The pictures were taken by Tracy Hawkins and I received mine from my Uncle Chuck.

I have no doubts that they are "as pictured". What we did conclude, was where they were and how we would need to get to them. A good deal of the landscape around the Buttes has already been covered, we just have not made it to their location, yet. I believe the next trip there will put us on the spot.

Although our conversations were, mostly, recorded, I don't think they will be published anytime soon. You should have made the trip, along with a few others. As it turned out, we all found the smaller gathering a plus for keeping the conversations focused.

I expect next year's event to be considerably larger. Hopefully more ladies and kids. It was great fun.

Bill,

The stew my mom made was worth the trip. She likes to do a lot of the cooking for these type of gatherings, and I only need to heat stuff up.
The Italian Sausage gravy over home made biscuits made for great breakfasts.

Next years Rendezvous will be close to Apache Junction. We will start working on the location early. We will probably charge a small reservation fee to cut down on the no shows.

Start selling some of those chickens now. Want to see your smiling face next year. :)

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

well

Post by bill711 »

Joe I see the Pecter slipped a spy in on you? :lol: bill 8)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Deleated Again

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

Don't know if Peter had anything to do with Wyatt showing up at the camp out, and don't really care. Wyatt only needed to come over and introduce himself to show what kind of man he is. A good many people only needed to be there, to show what they were made of. They chose not to.

In some cases, deleating your posts is the only decent thing to do. Wyatt has stepped up a notch, in my opinion, by deleating his.

Wyatt was the first to start the wholesale deleation of his post's, followed by a small group of members who felt they had been slighted, in some way. Some had, others had not.

While we seem to have lost two of the most knowledgeable members of this Forum (LDM and Dr. Glover), I believe those who are left will find a way to make it a place where ideas can be exchanged without fearing attacks from every quarter.

Roger's Code is a great place to start the rebirth of this site. It is up to the members to keep it going.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

look?? How

Post by bill711 »

JOE: I did not accuse peter of sending wyatt I said" PECTER" Isn,t that the villinous spy ring on the old get smart comedy? I never watched it myself! :lol: bill 8)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Close?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

I think it was SPECTER.

Respectfully,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

The Camp Out

Post by Roger »

I attended the 1st Annual Dutch Hunter Rendezvous 2005 three-day camp out in the desert East of Florence, AZ. My college buddy and I were in a 24' motor home and didn't rough it too much. We had a great time meeting some old friends and making new ones. I already knew Greg Davis and Jack San Felice, but the rest of the 13 attendees were new to me. Here are my main observations from the outing:

1. Joe Ribaudo is a 1st class camper. Joe had a camping setup beyond anything I could do. He had ever accessory needed including BBQ grills, 4 wheel ATV, RV trailer, large tent awnings, tables, chairs, cold drinks, - even a tank of compressed air for flat tires.

2. The food was excellent. The stew and Texas toast Joe served Friday night was to die for. Joe says his Mother made it and he brought it frozen and heated it for supper. He also had an Italian sausage & gravy with biscuits breakfast on Saturday that we all loved. We had it again on Sunday and Carolyn gave me some for the motor home trip. The meal that kept on giving! We all had steaks on the grill Saturday night after a busy day - a solid meal really hit the spot.

3. We did some searching for the Spanish scrapings on North Butte or Mineral Mtn by 4-wheel drive's that was over some really bad jeep trails. Joe and Carolyn rode his 4 wheel ATV that had to be an exciting ride. We didn't find the scrapings, but did locate a turquoise mine that we took some samples from plus several recent silver/gold mines. Joe had a 3-D software package on his portable PC and we had an interesting time shifting views around trying to match up the horizon to look like the background in a photo. I haven't played around with one of these packages before, but will have to get one now. We didn't find gold, but as Coronado said - We found a great place to look!

4. I would have made this trip for the evening/campfire discussions alone. On Friday night Joe, Lazarus, AZDave, Greg Davis, Jack San Felice, and Jack Carlson plus myself and Wendell who came with me sat around the night time camp for several hours and had a far ranging discussion of the LDM, the Stone Maps, the early ranchers of the Superstitions, the Petrasch's and Holmes, early mines and miners of the region, Indian lore, and other topics. The head knowledge in that discussion was awesome. We had other discussions Saturday morning, Saturday night, and Sunday morning along the same lines including some very interesting views of various religions. I hope that we can have the same caliber of individuals at the next gathering. Joe's comment is correct that the smaller group made it much easier for all to engage in the discussion and do more in-depth topic coverage.

5. I, like Lazarus, have only had contact with Joe Ribaudo through the Forum previously to this outing. After spending two days with him, I must state that Joe is of high character and extremely knowledgeable on the LDM legends and Indian history. I found Joe to be a very polite and engaging individual and a great host for this outing. And as he says himself, he married "UP" - Carolyn was also a great host and helped make the event a success. We did give her a round of applause for that.

6. Joe has done extensive research and field work on the LDM and Superstitions for 20+ years and has a library collection and knowledge to back up what he says and believes. I know Joe seems to be a stickler for "References" on the Forum - that's because he can back up his points and wants other's to do the same on items presented as "Fact". If someone has an opinion and states it as such, that's great with him. All other's bring references or simply state that you don't want to share that information. Just be up front with it. I don't think his approach is unreasonable.

In summary, the 1st Annual Dutch Hunter Rendezvous 2005 was a great success and I will certainly be planning to do the 2006 version.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Getting Acquainted

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Getting acquainted was what the Rendezvous was all about. I appreciate the kind words and hope I can live up to them.

You left one person out of the Friday night lineup. Grayhair is one of the most knowledgable Dutch Hunters I have ever met. Lazarus and his wife came in Saturday. They came late and had to leave much too early. I would have liked to spend more time with them.

"Joe's comment is correct that the smaller group made it much easier for all to engage in the discussion and do more in-depth topic coverage."

While I would love to take the credit for that insight, it was Carolyn who made that observation. She would be the one to make any "in depth" comments between the two of us.

I agree with you, concerning the knowledge that was sitting around our table. You, Sir, would take a back seat to no one in that group. I would guess that a good deal of boot leather has been destroyed by our little band of prospectors.

Once again, thank you for the kind words. Everyone gave equally, except for Wendell, who threw in a few songs for good measure. :)

Take care,

Joe