Gold Found on Trails

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
John Thayer

Gold Found on Trails

Post by John Thayer »

Hello,

Does anyone have any stories about gold being found between the Massacre Grounds and the interior of the mountains? I believe I have heard two: one in which some gold was found near BlacK Mesa and another where it was found near O'Grady Canyon. I am talking about gold that might have been lost during the battle with the Indians in 1848.

Thanks

John
geoffnotjeff
Greenhorn

Post by geoffnotjeff »

If you read any of the newer books on the subject, you can find a few accounts of gold being found, raw, in the supes.

Two men were sent to the loony bin after finding raw gold ore, then no more.

I said raw :D
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

I have read several accounts of different people who actually found gold ore in saddlebags that the mules threw when they ran off, or were killed and eaten by the Apache.

Mike
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

In 1974-5 I was with a group that split up into several camps. One group went to the needle, one to massacre canyon and the last to a camp to the east of the Peralta trailhead. I went with the latter group to set up camp and met up with the first group a day or so later. I was just a young pup, so I was just tagging along more than anything. The guys who headed over to massacre canyon found several small pieces of ore( about the size of a ping pong ball) with a little gold in it. One of those guys took me to the spot a couple of years later. I know the general area now, but not the exact spot. It was up on a northern hillside a ways to the north of the massacre area proper on the map. I searched that area off and on for years, but never found anything. Whether it was left behind by someone else who got the better part of it or had just dropped during the massacre I do not know. It was exciting though for me as a kid. I kept in touch with one of those guys up until about 10 years ago. I believe he still has his piece.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Though very few people has much to say, it appears this topic has interested a good number of people. I checked if I had made any notes on the area I posted on and it would appear the area in question is the easterly area just north of the massacre area along the 2700 elevation mark. I will try to post the map area in the members archives for those interested.
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I do know they were in those areas for specific reasons, never understood how they got that information at times. It is nice to realize they were on the right track or had a clue of what they may have been doing, rather than dumb luck. The group at the needle had a map or directions of some sort. I have no idea of what it was about. Someone took a couple of shots at their camp on their last evening there. I remember they were a bit jumpy when we showed up later. I quite spending time in that area figuring it would have been picked clean long ago.
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

LDM