barry storm found gold?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
azdave35
Part Timer

barry storm found gold?

Post by azdave35 »

i found the following post in the old forum...does anyone know for sure if barry storm got 28 ozs out of the mountains>?..if so what area did he find it?

I would like to go on record as saying that I think old Barry gets a bad rap. Sure, his books are melodramatic and hokey, but he was a pulp writer! Let's not forget that he was one of the first modern guys on the spot, he didn't have the benefit of all the books we have, the internet, etc., and he DID actually find some gold (over 28 oz.), which is more than anyone I know has done. Barry never gets a chapter in anyone's book, never gets any respect (except from Doug Stewart). We all owe a lot to Barry, and we should stop belittling his legacy.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Storm

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

I think Storm's dealings with Barry Goldwater may have more to do with his "bad rap", at least in Arizona, than his writings.

My uncle's first knowledge of the LDM came from a copy of "Trail of the Lost Dutchman", which he picked up in 1956. "Thunder Gods' Gold" was my first book, purchased around 1957.

He made an impression on us. :)

Storm may have found his gold where he claimed he did. That was a pretty nice rock to have fallen out of someones pack. If it was really "float", it should not have been that difficult to get into the area it came from. It never hurts book sales to find a nice, rich, piece or ore.

Metal detectors have been used in the range for years. If "float" was a reality, I believe the users of that equipment would have found one or two nuggets by now.

I think you are right, for all the reasons you gave.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

Barry Storm found gold

Post by bill711 »

Adz and Joe It was my understanding that the sup,s was too mineralized to use the metel detecter,s? This is the Idea that I got from the old time gold hunters like old Hoss Tail and others! BUT maybe the new detecters could work maybe? 8O bill 8)
ILoveJoeRibaudo
Greenhorn

Thank you !

Post by ILoveJoeRibaudo »

Nice post Joe. Informative, well written, not as long-winded as is the norm.
Wasn't even addressed to someone else ! Very good. Thank you.

ILoveJoeRibaudo

Joe is good
azdave35
Part Timer

Post by azdave35 »

hey joe...what happened between barry storm and barry goldwater?....and to answer your question bill ..yes..the metal detectors we have today will work in the supes...
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Two Barry's

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

I have read that there were, less than cordial, feelings at the end of the Storm/Goldwater relationship. It is hinted at in the introduction, written by Barry Goldwater, for Robert Blair's "Tales of the Superstitions". Page 1

A good deal of Storm's writings were laced with "fiction". While he touted his books on the LDM as factual, they were actually Historical Novels, and as such, fired the imaginations of many Dutch Hunters through the years.
That would include Chuck Ribaudo and his nephew.

Chuck actually based the location for his claim, solely (kind of), on the angles of the "Cactus Marker" and the markings on Black Top Mesa, all gleaned from Storm's book. I have some of his original drawings.

I have a lifetime of memories and friends that all originated from "Trail of the Lost Dutchman" by, Barry Storm.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Metal Detectors

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

Actually, metal detectors work quite well in the range.

While searching the location of the triangle at the end of the Stone Map Trail, my brother-in-law found a large deposit of Magnasite. The triangle is well marked, and the outcropping was found close to the center.

He was using a "Whites" void detector, which also has a metal detector mode. In that mode it will only pick up "large" metal objects. It would not, for instance, pick up a gold ring resting on top of the ground.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
ILoveJoeRibaudo
Greenhorn

Goody

Yes Joe, very good. Two good posts in a row. Solid, informative non-abrasive. Maybe all your posts will be like them. I hope so. We hope so. Maybe so. I like you Joe. Keep posting. I am glad. You are doing well. I still like you. Don't worry.

ILoveJoeRibaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

"WE"

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

"We hope so."

My answer can be found in the "First Amemdment Forum".

Joe Ribaudo
ILoveJoeRibaudo
Greenhorn

Wee

Don't worry Joe. We still like your posts. We still like you. I hope you post ALOT.

Thank you Joe. You are my favorite.

ILoveJoeRibaudo
Wiz
Expert

Re: barry storm found gold?

Post by Wiz »

azdave35 wrote:i found the following post in the old forum...does anyone know for sure if barry storm got 28 ozs out of the mountains>?..if so what area did he find it?
Hi Dave,
Since nobody has really responded to your actual question; In my copy of Thunder God's Gold (the 1945 edition), Storm shows a picture of a portion of what appears to be a 1940 assay report, indicating that was paid $1002 and some change for gold he cashed in. The same book, a few photos later, has a topo with lots of markers. One of them reads "Storm gold". This is probably marking the location of his find. Carlson/Stewart also mark the location in their book (on map 11, location "VV" I think, but don't hold me to that), based on that topo.
That's all the evidence I know of that he actually found gold out there.