Map Question

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Mr.B
Greenhorn

Map Question

Post by Mr.B »

Hello to all. I cannot consider myself a "Dutch Hunter" as I have never wandered any farther into the Sups than A. Trail will take you. I have however been reading about the LDM for roughly four years. Reading everything I have been able to get my hands on. Also I have been reading this forum off and on for two or three years and seeing the knowledge of the topic in the room, I have not posted simply because I have nothing to offer at this time. However I would like to make it in there some day soon for, if nothing else, just to see the rough beauty that I have heard and read so much about. This is where I could use a bit of help from the members of this forum. Last night I was at the museum looking at topo maps from, I believe, 1956. They were helpfull and seemed to have most every thing marked that I have heard of in the Sups. My question is, does any one here know where I can get maps such as these with the trails, washes and everything else labled? Or perhaps someone has a set that would be willing to meet some where like Kinkos or something to let me get copies of their maps? I am not looking to get any info about whatever search any of you might be doing but if there are a few scribbles, oh well. Any help would be great.

azdave35
Part Timer

Post by azdave35 »

any particular area that you wanna know about?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Hi Mr. B, and welcome

The Superstition Mountain Museum has some good maps (the Beartooth map is a must-have). Wide World of Maps has all the topo maps for the Superstitions (there are 8 of them). The Phoenix Library on McDowell has a copy of the Stirrat map that has some of the old trails marked that aren't on the newer maps. The Arizona State Archives (at the Capitol) has a Stirrat map too, but it is missing all the good stuff. A later copy I guess.

Also, check out Doug Stewart's web site at
http://www.lost-dutchman.com/dutchman/dutch.shtml
He has references to every map and book ever printed about the Superstitions.

That should get you started. When you exhaust these resources, contact Greg Davis. He has the most exhaustive collection of stuff about the mountains in existance, and is very generous about sharing it.
Good luck!
Wyatt Westwood
Part Timer

Post by Wyatt Westwood »

Hello WIZ,

How do I contact Greg Davis?

Wyatt
Mr.B
Greenhorn

Post by Mr.B »

Azdave35, actually I would like to get the entire Superstition area, from Goldfield to Globe an mayby from a little north of the lakes on down toward Florence.

Wiz, thank you for the info. Maybe I missed something but I couldnt find anything on the museum web site that pertained to maps other than what one would find in such books as the Hikers Guide, which I have. Guess Ill have to get off of my duff and drive out there, I seem to remember there being maps there.Thanks again.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Maps

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mr. B,

You might want to consider getting a map program, such as Delorme Topo 5.0 USA.

You could than transfer all of the source material you can find on old trails onto your own map. That would be a great tool for an overall view of trails, all on one saved map. You could than use a laptop with GPS in the field. That would show the old trails and your own position in relation to them.

I have done that for some time now and keep a laptop on my computer desk. Research in the books surrounding the computer, compare that research to the map on the laptop and add in the Web for additional information. All without leaving your chair.

The map you will create will present an interesting picture. If you are really good, you might find a dead on connection between the Stone Maps and the Cactus Marker. 8O

That information is for those who say I never give any real (new)information concerning the clues in the Supes. :roll:

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
azdave35
Part Timer

Post by azdave35 »

the best map software i've ever used is maptech...it covers the whole state of arizona and shows you in 3-d too
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Maps

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

I have never used Maptech, so I can't really compare the two programs.

Topo USA covers the entire country, can be used in 3-D and also can be used with a satellite imaging program.

The Southwest CD covers AZ, NM, OK, and TX. That means you can make a seamless, one map, trail through all of those states, without changing CDs.

Needless to say, I really like the program. I will have it with me at the campout.

Respectfully,

Joe
azdave35
Part Timer

Post by azdave35 »

how much did you pay for it?...i think i paid 100 bucks for mine when i got it
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Cheap

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dave,

$99., but it may be more to new buyers.

Respectfully,

Joe
Mr.B
Greenhorn

Post by Mr.B »

I appriciate the info on the soft ware guys but I think Im going to have to wait on that. I am currently borrowing someones computr as I am currently a full time student. Like I said, thank for the info on the software, Ill have to keep my eye out.
azdave35
Part Timer

Post by azdave35 »

there are also sites online where you can view topo maps for free...i think terra serve maybe?...maybe someone else here can give him the link to the site
Mr.B
Greenhorn

Post by Mr.B »

Terra Serve , Ill give it a try
walker12
Part Timer

Post by walker12 »

Mapserver/Maptech has free topo maps on the web. Here is one from an earlier post - http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/i ... ontype=DMS
Roger
Part Timer

Terra Server Home Page

Post by Roger »

Here is the website for TerraServer map service. It contains topo maps and aerial photo's of locations in the U.S.. You can also download the pages you have interest in.

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Roger
RU Kidding
Greenhorn

Post by RU Kidding »

Try USA Photomap. It's a shareware program that downloads USGS topo maps and satellite photos

http://jdmcox.com/