X marks the spot

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
walker12
Part Timer

Post by walker12 »

Haven't ever done it myself but I knew several people who have climbed Weaver's Needle at night. They did if for the challenge and to avoid the heat of the day.

IIRC they said there are only a few true climbing spots. Most of these spots had very solid and old looking belay anchors . I never asked them about their exact lighting technique. However I can easily imagine them only using light when navigating the true climbing areas. Thus, instead of people leaving their lights on and dissappearing inside the Needle they may have simply no longer needed the light once they completed a true climbing section. Maybe someone who has done the climb or has access to a climber's guide can confirm what the typical routes are. That may help rule out this theory.

Also, I would think any people accessing the inside of the Needle would be trying to do this as secretly as possible. I really doubt a series of lights visible for miles up the side of the focal point in the mountains would help that cause. Lastly if Piper and crew couldn't find anything where they saw the lights I doubt there is anything to find. Just my $.02.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Needle

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Walker,

Having done a little climbing on the Needle, along with a thousand others, I (pretty much) agree with your conclusions. :)

There is, however, the Dale Howard story that keeps me wondering about a secret entrance into the mountain. Both stories seem "far fetched", unless you happen to know the man telling the story and what he did trying to re-find his lost entrance into Black Top.

Anyone else out there who knew Dale Howard?

How many crazy people did you say were in that group who made that night climb? :) Having been on the Needle in daylight, crazy seems like an understatement. 8O Sounds like something that Peter would try, 'cept
he probably did it in a severe thunderstorm. :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe
RU Kidding
Greenhorn

Post by RU Kidding »

Joe, I've never heard of Dale Howard but if you are so inclined I'd really like to hear more about his stories.
Randy in Phx.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dale Howard

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

Here is the post where I told what I remembered of Dale Howard's story:

Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:00 pm Post subject: Dale Howard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dale told me the following story:
Prior to WW2, Dale and a friend were prospecting the area of Black Top Mountain. They were working there way around the South end about half way up the mountain. Dale lost his footing and grabbed a large boulder. The boulder moved away from the mountain and he fell to the ground. They were suprised to find that the boulder was hinged in some way and opened and closed with ease. It concealed a cave. They did not have a flashlight, so they bundled some dry brush together and lit it. As they entered the cave the fire would not stay lit due to a tremendous air current coming into the entrance. They surmised that it had another opening farther up. A small pile of ore lay in the entrance. They removed the ore and pushed the boulder back into it's original position. At this time they were fairly excited, as you might imagine. They decided to make a map.
After they had drawn the map, they did a dangerous thing. They begain to think. In fear that someone might gain possesion of the map, or copy it, they decided to reverse and change some of the directions. Only the two of them would be able to restore the information needed to locate the entrance. I am sure you can all see this coming. They went home to Northern California, and had the ore assayed. Of course it was very rich gold ore. They made plans to return. WW2....... When the two friends returned from doing there duty, they put their lives and family back together. Jobs, kids, wives and the wounds of war put off there return to the mountains. One of them moved, I think Dale, and they drifted thru the years, always saying they must return to the cave.
At last they made concrete plans to meet in Apache Junction and return to Black Top Mountain. Dale arrived and waited for his friend to show up. He never did. Turns out he had a heart attack and died. Dale eventually made his own trip in. Once on Black Top he got out his map and started looking for the entrance. It had been fifteen or twenty years and Dale had no idea what they had changed on the map. He spent many years blowing up the South side of Black Top at the approximate elivation he thought was correct. He never found the entrance. I heard that Dale's wife shot and killed him. Anyone know if thats true?

Respectfully,

Joe