Ancient Goldfield Mine(s)

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Re: Ancient Goldfield Mine(s)

Post by cuzzinjack »

Hello hiker,

I misspoke with the word “holy”. The event where 40 Chiracahua women filled the 100-foot deep shaft to the brim with large boulders and then sealed it over does not make the place holy, but the act itself commands respect. To literally quarry the boulders from up above and roll them down is quite an achievement. On my best of days, one of those Apache women back then could still work me into the ground.

The Peralta’s sealed the shaft so they could get back in it again; the Apaches sealed it so it could not be entered again, at least not without great effort.

It is believed that the Apache hoop, the sightings of Apache people in the area, and other items, were not messages, but mistakes. However, last year when I was opening the portal which is believed to be for a tunnel into Cerro Negra, shiny, new 5.56 and 9mm brass appeared on top of the hill overlooking the portal the next weekend. They were in a tight area, and not fired from a gun. I believe THAT was a message. Forever Believing In my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, I will keep prospecting.

The comparison of my mining claims to Resolution though is quite a stretch. I am a “little guy”, and can be bought out. I have a price in mind. Who knows, maybe some Peralta’s would want Cerro Negra also?

How these entities let this property slip through the cracks is beyond me. It is believed the reason has something to do with the shaft at the base of Cerro Negra with a concrete collar. Whomever did it, attempted to sink the shaft in bad ground, without support, which is called "going bald-headed”. It is believed this shortcut ended in terrible tragedy, and they walked away from their mining claim on Cerro Negra.

cuzzinjack
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Post by cuzzinjack »

Hello hiker,

I misspoke with the word “holy”. The fact that 40 Chiracahua women filled a shaft to the brim with large boulders and then sealed it over does not make the place holy, but the act itself commands respect. To literally quarry the boulders from up above and roll them down is quite an achievement. On my best of days, one of those Apache women back then could still work me into the ground. The Peralta’s kept sealing the shaft so they could get back in it again; the Apaches sealed it so it could not be entered again, at least not without great effort.

It is believed that the Apache hoop, the sightings of Apache people in the area, and other items, were not messages, but mistakes.

The comparison of my mining claims to Resolution though is a real stretch. I am a “little guy”, and can be bought out. I have a price in mind. Who knows, maybe some Peraltas would want Cerro Negra also?

How these entities let this property slip through the cracks is beyond me. It is believed the reason has something to do with the shaft at the base of Cerro Negra that has a concrete collar. Whomever did it, attempted to sink the shaft in bad ground without support which is called going “bald-headed”. It is believed this ended in terrible tragedy, and they walked away from their mining claim on Cerro Negra.

cuzzinjack
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Post by cuzzinjack »

There is a thin layer of blocky, welded volcanic tuff on top of Cerro Negra and on its east side that is about 5 feet thick. A photo of the location where the boulders were quarried is below. Only one large boulder and a couple of smaller ones were left behind. The contact between the tuff and the basalt dips to the left in the photo. The boulder shown is in a depression which betrays that it was peeled off of the basalt below.

Zooming out, the below photo shows the whole current situation. It is understood why the newer shaft was sunk where it was; it was more accessible than the filled shaft, and 30-40 feet of shaft sinking was saved. Unfortunately, they put it in bad ground that could have been caused by subsidence from past mining that was beneath. A LOT of tons came out from in and around this hill between ~1700 and 1848.

cuzzinjack